1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy Mod: Public Beta thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by DJ Bonebraker, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

They actually waited that long in your game?! In the one that I'm recording in Stories and Tales, Windhurst and Aht Urhgan went to war with the Archadians when everyone only had 5 or 6 cities :lol:

Then again, I'm playing on a small map.......

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

I meant world wars :D

3. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

The AI forgets to build a palace before Regent level. At Chieftain, they're dumb as bricks. At Warlord, they get a bit better and about half actually build palaces. I've noticed that at Warlord level, if they get a very good starting location, they can partly do the one-city challenge. :)

Laguna is one evil backstabber, by the way. ;)

4. DJ Bonebraker

Actually I was doing some math, and I think that maybe one settler per 20 turns is a bit too long, especially for larger maps... I'm almost into the INDUSTRIAL age and only have 10 cities (one being by virtuie of capturing it from Windhurst): You'd practically hit the turn limit before you even got 20 cities!

I was thinking maybe either (a) letting settlers be built when a certain tech is researched (maybe Education or Astronomy) or (b) reducing the Auto-production times to, say, 15 turns....

...OR (to help the Ai in building a Palace on lower difficulty levels) make BOTH starting units Settlers, so you have 2 cities right off the bat (ala Alpha Centauri).

What do you guys think?

5. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

I think the times should just be reduced. The way it is now gets rid of the annoying settler-spamming rush.

6. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

I think two plus reduce to 15 turns. Give "palace" so they don't have to build it. IMHO

7. Psionicle

Psionicle Chieftain

I had no idea the Al Bhed were so evil!
    I played as yevon, and they were my allies in the wars against the dwarves and then the Vector Empire.
    When suddenly, after I finished a few wonders and buildt some more cilties, they turned the whole world against me!
    But I managed to survive with only two cities lost, no important ones.

Great mod! :D

Would be nice if someone could make some maps for it (final fantasy based maps ofcourse), and perhaps some scenarios too.

Oh while Im at it, resources are kinda oddly placed in my opinion, hard to get coal and robber sometimes without starting wars for them..
    And EVERYONE seem to have dinosaurs in the wars ive been through.. They do heavy damage to my units, and for some odd reason, my dinosaurs die faster than theirs (same upgraded units as theirs).

8. DJ Bonebraker

Ok, I'll see about reducing the turn times for settler production and/or making BOTH starting units Settlers.

On top of that, I have another idea that I've had bouncing around in my head, but was debating about whether to include it or not when I released the mod (all the graphics for the unit are already in the mod folder):

I was thinking about having a Dwarven Engineering Guild SW that's available with Engineering that produces a Dwarf Engineer Squad (Kinboat's Gnome Engineers) every X turns (probably 15, like the Settlers) that can perform ALL worker AND settler actions, but they do the worker actions at 200%, meaning that they'll still be valuable late-game when everything is already settled....

Moosezilla: The reason I had all the unique "Palace" small wonders is that there are at least 6 unique races represented by the mod and I wanted to have flavor settlers for them all.

If I were to just make the Center of Government generate the standard Human settlers, the game would lose something, IMO.... Not to mention that I'd have to do SOMETHING with the wonder graphics and such (maybe make the palaces generate workers, instead) and the units, which will be a HUGE pain to change. If the game would allow multiple Palace buildings that require specific techs to build, then everything would be peachy, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Of course, having two settlers at start would be much better, since even on low difficulty levels, the AI will likely build the palace early on since it can build military with the second city.....

So, who's in favor of just having the one type of settler and just assigning the Center of Government to produce it?

Who would like to see two settlers instead of a Settler Fighter pair?

Who likes the "add the Dwarven Engineering Guild" SW in the Middle Ages idea?

It's pretty much a given that the Settler production turn times will be dropped to 10-15 turns (most likely 12 turns) unless the Dwarven Engineering Guild option is invoked...

9. DJ Bonebraker

It only makes sense: The Al Bhed are Good alignment and the Yevon are Evil (not to mention they were enemies in the Final Fantasy X game canon)

Glad you like it. :D

There are Final Fantasy VI and VII maps out, and IIRC, there's also a FF VIII and FF IV map as well....

Sounds like my usual bad luck with the RNG has somehow infected the mod. In my case, though, Iron is usually the resource that tends to get dropped halfway accross the map from where I started :lol:

...That actually brings up ANOTHER point: should I give ALL offensive units a small attack boost or not? Right now, waging war sucks unless you can get the best offensive units available at the time, and even then you tend to lose a lot of units attacking cities... Granted, I've GREATLY reduced the cost of ALL artillery and improved them quite a bit as well, but still.....

10. Psionicle

Psionicle Chieftain

I know but.. how do I make them playable with this mod? :help:

11. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Hey, Hikaro, how many improvement slots are you using? Would it at all be possible for, say, a second settler-proding Palace to be built for the civs, thereby doubling their settler output at some point during the game?

12. Deth McBones

Deth McBones The Inconsistent Modder

Sweet! I didn't notice this! DLing now, and I can't wait to play it! This is quite a historic event...

13. DJ Bonebraker

I'm only using 150, so I could easily add another 100 or so buildings to the mod. :D

That's what I was suggesting with either (a) the Dwarf Engineer's Guild that is available in the middle ages and auto produces a Worker/Settler unit (Dwarf Engineer Squad, which can build cites or improve terrain) or (b) possibly having the Center of Government auto-produce the default settlers and the special settler palaces available later... It would be MUCH easier to just have the Center of Government auto-produce settlers and/or leave the Palaces the way they are and add the Dwarf Engineer's Guild with either Engineering, Invention or Education (most likely Engineering or Invention)....

Psionicle: The way you set up pre-made maps to work with this mod is go to the top bar... ONE of the drop-down menus has an option to "Import Scenario Rules" to a map, and it will allow you to choose a scenario to import the rules from and you just import the FF mod rules and set the "Scenario Search Folder" to the Final Fantasy folder.....

14. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

How about a 1 shield building that requires the Centre of Government that produces unique settlers every 15 as well as the regular unique palaces?

15. DJ Bonebraker

Well, I'm not sure what you mean, but the minimum number of shields a building can be is 10, which is why I currently have the unique palaces cost 0 shields...

Unless you mean having the Center of Government auto-produce ye olde standard Human settlers and then have the unique Palace buildings produce settlers as well.... Which might just work.

Unfortunately, on Chieftain and Warlord, the AI is so ******** that it can't seem to realize that building a 0-shield building that's FLAGGED WITH THE FRIGGIN "AI" FLAVOR and is the ONLY way to get settlers might, just maybe, be important to build.... :rolleyes:

Like I said, the simplest solution would be thus:

1) keep the palaces the same (or maybe give it a 10 shield cost to get the AI to recognize it)

2) Add my "Dwarf Engineer's Guild" that produces Dwarf Engineer Squads every 15 turns, which, in addition to founding cities, can also build roads, plant forests, irrigate, mine, etc, but 2x the speed of normal workers, so that when/if you DO get all the map settled, you can use them for improving your infrastructure.

16. Stormrage

But not every FF game has dorfs!

17. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Hey Hikaro, KISS. Do not remove the flavor!

18. DJ Bonebraker

But a fair number DO, and I happen to like Dwarves, regardless of the fantasy setting.

So, here's what I think I'm going to do, providing noone has any objections:

1): Make BOTH starting units settlers because that will most likely make the AI more likely to build the palace early on and also because I'm

2) going to make the Palaces cost 10 shields, to FURTHER make the AI more likely to build them, and that means that it could take up to 10 turns just to get the palace finished, meaning that it could be 30 or more turns until you get your second city, hence why BOTH starting units will be Settlers.

3) Add ANOTHER SW, the Dwarf Engineers Guild that produces Dwarf Engineer Squads every 10-15 turns, which not only can build cities but do ALL terrain improvements (well all the ones that are required for the "terraform" flag to become available, which, IIRC does not include building colonies, radar towers, etc, and even though I know for a fact that no HUMAN player in their right mind would waste them on such, I'd like to keep the AI from doing so).

So if no one has any major objections, I'll see about making those changes and uploading a patch (basically a new BIQ and pedia.txt files, although I MAY have some graphics to be added for the Dwarf Engineer's Guild).....

19. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

It's your mod, but I wouldn't object, anyway.

I haven't found any problems, since the last one. Since you haven't updated all of the Civilopedia, I didn't look into it much.

I think the one thing that could make it better would be giving the UUs an extended role, but I'm probably the only person really into the UUs (and I mean really into them). :p

20. Stormrage

This is something like that Oakram`s Laser, isn`t it? Fine, fine, bring on the dorfs..