1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Finnish parents don't spend enough time with their children

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AVN, Sep 28, 2008.

1. AVN

AVN Chieftain

http://www.yle.fi/news/id102882.html

I agree with this bishop. Finnish parents don't spend enough time with their children. Most of them work both 40 hours a week (and due to working pressure sometimes even more). This results in less attention for children.

And the government doesn't take care of them too. Schools are out at 12 PM, 1 AM (EDIT : Should be 12 AM, 1 PM) and after school services are very limited and don't exist for all young children (8,9 years old) or teenagers. That results in problems for society, of which the Kauhajoki shooting was an extreme example.

Any comments.

2. Dr.Mindbender

Dr.Mindbender Chieftain

Lock children up in prison ... opps ... I mean schools?

Lower the hour requirements for employees so that they can spend less time in prison... opps again... I mean jobs and spend more time at prison ... opps, my bad ... home?

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I don't blame them, who the heck would want to spend time with Finnish children? :cringe:

4. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

What?

How could they? They are all off raiding Denmark and Poland.

5. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

Who wants to be around Finnish parents. As a Finnish kid, I'll say, not me.

6. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Moderator

bloody yankish am/pm system messes up our poor euro-brains :sadyes: ;)

Basically, I agree with the article in general (not finland-specific). Parents often don't spend enough time with their kids; if that has any effect on the likelyhood of such tragic events as the Kauhajoki shooting I have no idea, but I doubt that it's a good thing in general.

7. Dr.Mindbender

Dr.Mindbender Chieftain

Some kids are better off not spending too much time with their parents.

8. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Chieftain

Well this explains racketooy's insane (in a good way) videos.

9. Grisu

of course there are exceptions, but in general I'd say that spending more time with your kids is a good thing.

10. Dr.Mindbender

Dr.Mindbender Chieftain

I agree on a practical level. Ideally, I do think it is better for children to be raised by the community; however that is more of a ideological perspective that I hold.:)

11. AVN

AVN Chieftain

Corrected, thanks :)

12. Ayatollah So

Ayatollah So the spoof'll set you free

What he said.

[Cool security measure by the way. About as effective as our no-fly lists here in the USA, but less inconvenient]

13. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

I''m sorry, what? That's like 8 hours a day from both parents. Assuming the kids go to school at 7 am and the parents go to work at 6:00, the parents get back at 2:00pm , the kids at 12pm. So that's two hours the parents aren't there.

Are you seriously saying 2 hours a day away from parents at home could be a cause of school shootings? If it was, then damn, every school kid in America would be getting to lock and load right now..

14. t87supra

t87supra Chieftain

Isn't this one shooting the exception? That said, family life these days is kinda pathetic all around.

15. Hehehe

Hehehe Chieftain

Wow we can single out a single reason for all of the school shootings! It was so simple all a long. Now we can prevent all schoolshootings. Thanks AVN.

I knew it! It's all government's fault.

On a more serious note though, I think it has something to do with modern society (change of lifestyle) and perhaps it has something to do with the availability of guns*. Looking at the time line of recent school shootings, it's not only Finnish parents who "aren't spending enough time with their children": http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

*As far as I know, Britain (succesfully) banned guns after the Dunblade school shooting, and there hasn't been any school shootings in Britain after that.

16. Grisu

as I said on my earlier post, I don't think/don't know that lack of parental attention had anything to do with this tragedy.

My point was more general, not related to the shooting.
    I do think that pointing out the shooting as a potential example was a bit of a poor choice to try to highlight a real problem, as it gets people to focus on the shooting instead of the original point (point being that parents often don't spend enough time with their kids, sometimes because they don't care enough, sometimes because they just can't afford to work less).