First Peoples of North America - *Updated with Sioux and Iroquois* 10 Civs!"

Wyz_sub10

CIV Gold - Project Lead
First Peoples of North America

Flag / Border fix, July 6, 2006

This fix (applied in two files - see below) addresses two problems:

1. Eliminates "white flag" problem (and adds flags that are closer to the vanilla feel)

2. Eliminates (hopefully) "border overlap" by using unique colours for the First Peoples civs

To install, extract Update 1 to Mods\First Peoples\Assets\Art\Interface; extract Update 2 to Mods\First Peoples\Assets\XML

Version 1.4, May 14, 2006

- patch 1.61 compatible

Version 1.3, February 17, 2006

**Major Update**

- added Sioux and Iroquois as separate civs
- added Ohkom Kakit as Leader to Vo'estaneo'o (lost Tashukewitko and Tatanka to Sioux)
- added Deganawida as Iroquois leader; moved Ayenwatha to Iroquois
- see below for civ details
- added tluck4life's re-skin of immortal for Brule Warrior
- added tluck4life's re-skin of longbowman for Mohawk Warrior
- former Mohawk Warrior skin stays with Anishnaabek; now called Ogichidaa
- added new Unit buttons for all UUs - especially proud of War Chief and Dog Soldier :)
- split city lists for Anishnaabek and Vo'estaneo'o (for new Sioux and Iroquois)
- added cities for Anishnaabek and Vo'estaneo'o

Version 1.2, January 20, 2006

- added re-skin for Code Talker
- added re-skin for Noseepsk
- added tluck4life's re-skin of Mohawk Archer
- fixed a couple of ArtDefines tags

Version 1.1, January 10, 2006

*major changes*

- changed names for Civs to preserve flavour (see below)
- consolidated all TEXT entries into one file (for combining)
- edited Code Talker - is now a Marine upgrade with some spy abilities
- edited Noseepsk - is still a Work Boat but with 1 combat and 2 cargo
- added new skins for all units, except Noseepsk and Code Talker
- thanks to Mumim for horse skin for Dog Soldier
- thanks to Tremo for scout skin for Ayastigi
- thanks to Tactician Zhao for scout/wolf unit for Qimuksiit
- Mohawk Archer, War Chief and Ghost Dancer is my lousy work :)

Version 1.00, January 4, 2006

This mod is the finished product of several weeks of research and modding. The mod contains eight new civilizations in one pack, each representing a demographic group of North American First Peoples nations.

Rather than follow the route taken in previous Civ games, where the Sioux and Iroquois were used as representative nations, I decided to add several civs that would cover North America from the Arctic circle to the Gulf of Mexico.

The history of First Peoples intricate, with complex migration accounting for some unusual blood relationships and geography creating various alliances and divisions. As such, it is almost impossible to align civs based on ancestry and not always practical to do so strictly on shared practices.

Instead, these civs are based on anthropological divisions created primarily by terrain and resources. These division are generally accepted among experts, although they may sometimes feature sud-divisions.

What this mod represents is a conceptual look at North American First Peoples' societies. It considers what might have happened had there been unifying forces prior to the arrival of the first Europeans. Had trade and shared knowledged been expanded, might we have seen more complex societies among the nations?

As with my Civ3 mod for First Peoples, I have chosen to eschew reservation names for cities and have instead decided to use tribes as "cities" for these civs. This is representative of the nomadic nature of many First Peoples culture, and it respects the incredible diversity that existed within geographic regions.

The Civs:

new
Iroquois Empire
Leaders:
- Ayenwatha (Phi/Exp - Nation)
- Deganawida (Org/Cre - Represent)
Unique Unit: Mohawk Archer (replaces Longbowman)
Flag: Iroquois Confederacy

new
Sioux Empire
- Tatanka Iyotake (Sitting Bull) (Agg/Spr - Hered)
- Tashunkewitko (Crazy Horse) (Cre/Spr - Org Rel)
Unique Unit: Brule Warrior (replaces Knight)
Flag: United Sioux tribes

Upaajut Empire (Inuit, Dene, Yupik, Aleut, Chipewyan...)
Leaders:
- Thanadelthur (Fin/Spr - Merc)
- Matonabbee (Org/Ind - Nation)
Unique Unit: Qimuksiit (replaces Warrior)
Flag: Nunatsiavut people

Piliwni Empire (Paiute, Mohave, Costanoan, Hupa...)
Leaders:
- Wovoka (Spr/Exp - Org Rel)
- Ouray (Org/Cre - Rep)
Unique Unit: Ghost Dancer (replaces Explorer)
Flag: Ute tribe

Tillikum Empire (Chinook, Kalapuya, Haida, Bella Coola, Snohomish...)
Leaders:
- Comcomly (Ind/Exp - Merc)
- Skit-ei-get (Fin/Spr - Hered)
Unique Unit: Noseepsk (replaces Work Boat)
Flag: Chinook nation

Vo'estaneo'o Empire (Cree, Blackfoot, Crow, Comanche...)
Leaders:
- Louis Riel (Agg/Org - Emancip)
- Ohkom Kakit (Phi/Org - Emancip)
Unique Unit: Dog Soldier (replaces Horse Archer)
Flag: Cheyenne Nation

Ni-Mii-Pu Empire (Nez Perce, Okanagan, Modoc, Klikitat, Kootenai...)
Leaders:
- Hinmaton-yalaktit (Chief Joseph) (Agg/Phi - Emancip)
- Winema (Ind/Fin - Hered)
Unique Unit: War Chief (replaces Chariot)
Flag: Nez Perce tribe

Aniyonega Empire (Cahokia, Cherokee, Seminole, Lumbee, Pee Dee...)
Leaders:
- Sequoya (Ind/Cre - Hered)
- Osceola (Phi/Spi - Rep)
Unique Unit: Ayastigi (replaces Warrior)
Flag: Cherokee nation

Dinnehih Empire (Apache, Navajo, Hopi, Taos, Waicuri...)
Leaders:
- Cochise (Exp/Org - Nation)
- Goyathlay (Geronimo) (Agg/Spr - Hered)
- Hastiin Chi'ihanjinni (Manuelito) (Agg/Cre - Rep)
Unique Unit: Code Talker (replaces spy)
Flag: Navajo nation

Anishnaabek Empire (Huron, Ojibwe, Micmac, Beothuk...)
Leaders:
- Donnacona (Ind/Cre - Hered)
- Tecumseh (Agg/Org - Emancip)
Unique Unit: Ogichidaa (replaces Archer)
Flag: Sault Ste. Marie Ojibwe

Notes:

- actual pictures or paintings for leaders have been used where possible
- unique units are actually representative of a culture in that group. I tried to take the history very seriously

To install, unzip to your Mods folder.

All comments are welcome! Any input is appreciated.

Frist Peoples 1.4

If you have problems downloading, drop me an email. The file is about 7MB through email, however.

wyz2@canadatrack.com

Attachments

• FP_Update1.zip
    19.4 KB · Views: 512
  • FP_Update2.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 455
Some screens.

Attachments

• FP1.jpg
    FP1.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 3,432
  • FP2.jpg
    FP2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 2,066
  • FP3.jpg
    FP3.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 2,669
Why did you use the name Woodlands Empire for the Iroquois Confederacy? Did you include other tribes than the original six?

Tunch Khan said:
Why did you use the name Woodlands Empire for the Iroquois Confederacy? Did you include other tribes than the original six?

Yes. Woodlands includes 50 tribes of the Eastern Woodlands area - Ontario and Quebec in Canada, and much of the eastern United States:

Huron
Mohawk
Seneca
Ojibwe
Micmac
Penobscot
Kickapoo
Mohegan
Algonquian
Oneida
Tuscarora
Fox
Powhaten
Onondaga
Nanticoke
Beothuk
Shawnee
Petun
Menominee
Sauk
Saulteaux
Loup
Cayuga
Massachusett
Nipissing
Abitibi
Pequot
Lenni-Lenape
Passamaquoddy
Quiripi
Unquachog
Secotan
Susquahannock
Abenaki
Wawenoc
Laurentian
Potawatomi
Caniba
Ho-Chunk
Mahican
Wenro
Pocumtuk
Maliseet
Unami
Souriquoian
Natick
Paugusset
Etchemin
Neutral
Montauk

This is a great idea for a civ, if I can get it to work for me. All the mods i download never work for me. they dont show up in the list of civs after i load them. not sure why they dont......i am gonna keep trying tho.

FOFO13 said:
This is a great idea for a civ, if I can get it to work for me. All the mods i download never work for me. they dont show up in the list of civs after i load them. not sure why they dont......i am gonna keep trying tho.

Unzip this to your Mods folder in the Firaxis directory. When you load up Civ for the first time (before selecting 'Advanced' and the mod you want), hold 'Shift' (i.e. while clicking the icon to start it).

ok, the place i have been putting thems is in my documents, games, civ 4, mods. i download them into the mod folder then unzip them there....is that the right place?

FOFO13 said:
ok, the place i have been putting thems is in my documents, games, civ 4, mods. i download them into the mod folder then unzip them there....is that the right place?

No, put them in:

Program Files\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization4\Mods

(I may have missed a level somewhere - do not overwrite Assets - make sure you are in the Mod directory (there are other mods there - i.e. Desert War)).

*Do not* put them into the My Documents Mod folder. It doesn't work correctly.

You should have used tribal names instead of region names.

Also, for the Inuit, why not use the flag of Nunavut?

SuperBeaverInc. said:
You should have used tribal names instead of region names.

The tribal names were used for cities. I can always change that, but I wanted to reflect diversity instead of using a single tribe. One thing I considered was trying to find a regional name in a tribal language. That's pretty tough to do, though. Dictionaries I found only had more common words.

I'm very much open to suggestions on the names, though. But I'd lke to preserve the actual organization of the tribes.

Also, for the Inuit, why not use the flag of Nunavut?

Thought about it, but all the other flags are not political but cultural in nature, so I didn't want to mix in an "official" flag. Funny enough, though, the flags I used and the Nunavut flag bear a close resemblence aside from the colour.

I think the tribal civ names would add much to the flavor of your already nicely done mod.

Tunch Khan said:
I think the tribal civ names would add much to the flavor of your already nicely done mod.

Thanks!

I'll need to consider an approach - all input welcome!

For instance, the Iroquois were dominate in the Woodlands, so that's no problem. And the Sioux were dominant in the Plains.

But for the Southwest, the Navajo and Apache were both powerful, and the same applies to the Southeast. In the Great Basin and Plateau, all tribes were much smaller, and none was really dominant.

Hmmmm....will have to think on this.

I've always wanted to be able to play with native American tribes. Well done!

Is it just me or is having the work boat as an UU lame and and at the same the time an insult to the civ?

The UU unit spy unit also seems weak even though I realize its historical significance.

If you were to change some of the UU's this would be a great mod.

Olliff said:
Is it just me or is having the work boat as an UU lame and and at the same the time an insult to the civ?

It may be lame, but it's no more of an insult than the Indian Fast Worker. The Chinook, Haida, etc. all grew their cultures around fishing and trade. It's hard to represent that to the extent I'd like, so their work boats are much faster and much cheaper.

But yeah, I recognize that the advantage is fairly slim. Suggestions?

The UU unit spy unit also seems weak even though I realize its historical significance.

If you were to change some of the UU's this would be a great mod.

I just thought it was pretty cool in that there is a real "uniqueness" to it, rather than another combat unit with some bonuses. I'd like to keep the theme, for this reason.

I could maybe:

- make the Code Talker a regular Marine with some recon abilities?
- keep it as a Spy with some combat abilities?

Okay, considering Olliff's comments, I'm going to make changes to the Noseepsk and Code Talker.

The Noseepsk will remain a work boat, but will have a combat of 1 and a cargo of 2, making it a good all purpose boat. I may pull the movement back from 4 to 3, considering it now has cargo.

The Code Talker will switch unit classes from Spy to Marine (so the build limitation is removed), and will have some recon abilities - not sure which ones.

Comments are welcome.

So far this is my favorite mod for Civ4! I've always wanted one like this. This is the first mod that I would play again consistantly.. thanks a bunch!

I'm definitely going to try this out. One issue I would like to point out with naming the Civs after the tribes instead of after regional "empires"...I hate it when the game runs out of city names and I have to start looking more authentic ones up. If you were to have a Civ that was just, say, Comanche, could you come up with enough genuine Comanche city names? If not, I'd prefer to have the Civ and city names set up the way they are now. Besides, it's kind of educational--just in your synopsis, I saw a couple of tribe names that I'd heard of but hadn't realized what region they were located in.

dahutys said:
I'm definitely going to try this out. One issue I would like to point out with naming the Civs after the tribes instead of after regional "empires"...I hate it when the game runs out of city names and I have to start looking more authentic ones up. If you were to have a Civ that was just, say, Comanche, could you come up with enough genuine Comanche city names? If not, I'd prefer to have the Civ and city names set up the way they are now. Besides, it's kind of educational--just in your synopsis, I saw a couple of tribe names that I'd heard of but hadn't realized what region they were located in.

The problem with tribe-specific city names is that they don't always apply. A lot of tribes were nomadic. A lot of tribes used generic names like "our land" or "by the river". The approach taken in Civ3 was to use reservation names, and this is a little...not good, let's say.

I use about 50 tribe names per Civ in this mod (a few less for the Arctic), and I have about 30 more "on file" if this proves to be insufficient. If you find in your games that the names run out too often, let me know.

Top Bottom