Flying...

That reminds me - some airlines' audio headsets (ordinarily used for listening to the in-flight movie or music 'channels') include a traffic control channel. This is really really frikkin awesome for people like us that want to drive or at least know what's going on; if you can't get a ride in the cockpit then see if this channel is available.

Indeed. Although it requires that the plane have an on-board entertainment system that you can plug into (usually found on the larger aircraft). It is pretty cool to be able to listen to the radio traffic and anticipate when the plane is going to turn, descend, climb, etc. It is also good for knowing exactly where you are in the line to take-off at larger airports. Of course it takes some getting used to before you can understand the language, and you need to know what flight number and airline you are on so you can recognize when they are talking about you.

That makes no sense at all - the weight of three passengers is not going to be significant to an aircraft of that size. Maybe they were going for a mile-high menage-a-trois and the stewardess didn't want to embarass them?

Balancing is very important and somewhat paradoxically, fewer passengers make a greater difference to a plane.

Keep in mind that the plane is also carrying luggage and probably cargo.

Balancing is very important and somewhat paradoxically, fewer passengers make a greater difference to a plane.

Keep in mind that the plane is also carrying luggage and probably cargo.

Yeah, there is that, but three people elbow-to-elbow? As long as they're centered on the middle passenger's seat where they actually sit would have no effect on the plane's center of gravity. The middle passenger pretty much needs to stay there for the sake of easy geometry, but the other two could sit ahead of and behind him in the center row, or each take a window seat in the same row.

hey all, sitting in st. maarten drunk at a bar. Love it

:cheers:

It's not like you will be flying through or near the Bermuda triangle or anything?

75 mg of diphenhydramine will knock you out for the ride, works for me.

Seriously, don't take my advice. :lol:

I used to like flying very much and maybe that was due to the places I would travel to. I mean what would be scary, if the destination is New Zealand. :D

It gradually changed over the years and frequent long haul flights (I am talking about 10hrs+ flights) got me bored. My advise is to always take the aisle seat for long haul flights. That way you get to walk around the plane easily, chat with stewardesses and fellow passengers etc. On my recent trip back from Canada to Hongkong, the 2 passengers next to me thought I am the air marshal :lol:

Since I moved to Singapore, my joy for fliying has turned into a sort of flight weariness. Flying in the tropics ain't fun due to the frequent encounters of heavy turbulences. I had some particular nasty flights in the recent years, especially some shorter flights to Bangkok and Hongkong.

If the reports are true and the AF flight took a short cut right through a nasty tropical thunderstorm, I am not surprised about the outcome. Seriously, I have seen incredible thunder storms from a safer distance on flights to Singapore, I wouldn't want to fly through one of those monsters...they are quite a sight.

Any tips to overcome fear and boredom of flying?
- Avoid the tropics, typhoons or other nasty weather.
- Take the aisle seat
- Bring a MP3 player along
- Check out the stewardesses and have a chat with them
- Chat with the person sitting next to you and times flies

It's actually quite safe: if the odds of one accident are 1 in a million, what are the odds of two in one week?

Top Bottom