Flying...

JerichoHill

Bedrock of Knowledge
Any frequent fliers here? I almost always travel by train or by boat, so I am not used to flying. Flying to my wife's vacay home in St. Eustatius on Friday, US Airways from DC->Char->St Maarten & then puddle jump to Statia. Been on big planes before, never on small planes.

Got any advice?

Thanks!

Remember not to bring filled water bottles as your carry on. If you want something to drink bring an empty container through security, and then fill it up in the bathroom. You also avoid being gouged $3.50 for a bottle of water within the secure area.

Yeah, I hate flying because I lose my perceived illusion of control over things. Plus I hate heights, and I haven't flown much, so its a whole cycle.

I've done big planes so I know those. I am a white knuckle flyer. I have never been on a small plane, so I don't know what its like compared to a big plane.

Remember not to bring filled water bottles as your carry on. If you want something to drink bring an empty container through security, and then fill it up in the bathroom.

Ah! That's a great idea! I was wondering about that!

Yeah, I hate flying because I lose my perceived illusion of control over things. Plus I hate heights, and I haven't flown much, so its a whole cycle.

I've done big planes so I know those. I am a white knuckle flyer. I have never been on a small plane, so I don't know what its like compared to a big plane.

I used to be very uncomfortable flying, still dont particularly like it but not really afraid anymore.

I heard a stat the other week which I think is great:

"To increase your chances of dying in an airplane crash to 50%, you would have to fly every day for 18,000 years."

A small plane isnt much worse than a big one, and the flight is shorter. Really dont like the idea? get your doctor to give you a one off prescription of Xanax, take two an hour beforehand and believe me, you wont care about flying at all.

I fly fairly often. A small plane isn't that different from a big plane...you might have a little less leg room, you might feel turbulence a little more, and you won't get a movie. Thats all I can think of.

If flying is really really scary for you, pop a few cold meds before flying. You'll sleep the whole way!

What airport are you flying out of?

When you flew on the big planes before, did you fly business class or coach? Not much of a difference between coach and flying on the small planes, except for the ceiling being lower, but that's only a problem getting in/out, not during the flight itself.

Small planes typically don't have bathrooms (at least not that I can remember) since they are such short flights, so go before getting on the plane (I see "St Maarten & then puddle jump to Statia" is only a 20 minute flight so that shouldn't be a problem unless you are really needing to go just before getting on the flight).

Biggest difference is that small planes are louder and you feel more turbulence, unless you are used to business class, then the cramped conditions will be a big change for you.

Ditto here, except I've flown more on the big jets down to commuter-sized, and a couple helos/two-seater jets in the Navy. I haven't tried the chemical assistance, but I probably will next time I'm flying. Mostly I just make sure I have a good book handy and try not to think about flying.

Yeah, immersing yourself in a book can work wonders too. but vet it first.

I guess the best advice for an economist is to look at the statistics. Extremely unlikley that anything bad will happen.

Failing that, self medication is good. As all the better solutions have been mentioned, I suggest just having a beer or two. Usually takes the edge of most of lifes worries.

Any frequent fliers here? I almost always travel by train or by boat, so I am not used to flying. Flying to my wife's vacay home in St. Eustatius on Friday, US Airways from DC->Char->St Maarten & then puddle jump to Statia. Been on big planes before, never on small planes.

Got any advice?

Thanks!

If you dont hate flying, ask the pilot of the puddle jumper ahead of time if you can sit in the co-pilot's seat.

I used to be very uncomfortable flying, still dont particularly like it but not really afraid anymore.

I heard a stat the other week which I think is great:

"To increase your chances of dying in an airplane crash to 50%, you would have to fly every day for 18,000 years."

A small plane isnt much worse than a big one, and the flight is shorter. Really dont like the idea? get your doctor to give you a one off prescription of Xanax, take two an hour beforehand and believe me, you wont care about flying at all.

I do have an RX for Xanax. Mild dose, 25mg

I fly fairly often. A small plane isn't that different from a big plane...you might have a little less leg room, you might feel turbulence a little more, and you won't get a movie. Thats all I can think of.

If flying is really really scary for you, pop a few cold meds before flying. You'll sleep the whole way!

What airport are you flying out of?

It's a 15 minute hop from one island to the other. I will be taking my Xanak that day! Point taken

When you flew on the big planes before, did you fly business class or coach? Not much of a difference between coach and flying on the small planes, except for the ceiling being lower, but that's only a problem getting in/out, not during the flight itself.

Biggest difference is that small planes are louder and you feel more turbulence, unless you are used to business class, then the cramped conditions will be a big change for you.

I've always flown cattle class except one time flying back from Vegas when I had won some money and upgraded to first. That was nice. interesting observation about coach and small plane being similiar.

If you dont hate flying, ask the pilot of the puddle jumper ahead of time if you can sit in the co-pilot's seat.

Honestly, that's a good idea even if I hate flying. I might do that.

If you have a laptop take it along, and immerse yourself in a game of civ during the flight. :D

I flew at least 100 times in the last 5 years or so, so I believe I'm experienced as a passenger. Unrelated, I know, but I know few people who like flying also like trains, and viceversa - I'm one of the few who doesn't qualify in that lot: although I like flying a lot, I love trains too.

The most uncomfortable flight I've done (= with the biggest amount of random "shakes", moves, outside turbulence areas, seemingly with no cause) was with a small plane, the only propeller plane I've ever been into (in the US, between San Francisco and LA). However, as yours is probably not going to be like that (or is it?), you're not likely to have such an experience It's not really that big of a deal anyway.

To take the stress off, anything from a drink to a book or a game will work great, IMHO. They have already been suggested though. :D

But to say more:

Here's the thing - I'm sure you already know the statistics. Therefore, anecdotal evidence is the only thing I can provide. I've flown countless times. In my profession, you need to travel - it's the only way to do it. So that also means that most people I know are in the same situation as me. Combined, me and my friends from my "branch of work" have literally tens of thousands of flights under our collective belts (yes, I actually took the time to approximate it and I'm serious). I haven't heard of anyone having any trouble with actual consequences during a flight. I've heard tons of stories of delayed, canceled flights, of terrible food, drinks, or any such things. My advice is not to worry - confidence comes with experience. If, for some reason, later in your life you'll need to fly more often, with many different kinds of planes, you will see how amazingly easy it will become.

Whatever you do, don't look down. Don't look out the window unless you're sure that the wings are intact. (Ask a fellow passenger for confirmation of this) Don't eat any food that you might get given by uniformed women traipsing up and down the gangway periodically. Furthermore, don't waste any of your US dollars on foreign things that the uniformed women might seduce you in to buying, such as European fragrances. A Dutchman once offered me a European fragrance in Milan, but that's another story.

Small aircraft have bumpier rides. If you are prone to motion sickness you might want to get a pill for that. Beyond that, I don't fly often. But when i do I find them more tedious and boring than anything else. bring a book or something that you can get involved in to tune out the world.

I love flying. I want to become an airline pilot. Don't know how majoring in chem in college is going to do that for me though...

Top Bottom