football thread No11

Go on…

Edit, a 16-year-old kid is going to Milano for €8,000,000. Wtf?

I believe the 'what' you're looking for is "bloated TV contracts". With a side of "bloated sellouts to sponsors" and "bloated ticket prices".

BTW, has the lovely concept of "Personal Seat Licenses" made it over to Europe yet?

Personal Seat Licences? Is that the same as a season ticket?

No, it is a fee you have to pay for the privilege of buying a season ticket.

I can't find a single reason why Neymar should go to PSG... unless he's got some sort of beef with Messi...Which is highly unlikely...Why leave Barça?

I heard something that his father got a beef with someone in Barça. Alternatively it's just a ploy to get more monies out of Barça.

No, it is a fee you have to pay for the privilege of buying a season ticket.
I'll just go Dalek and post ‘EXPLAIN, EXPLAIN’ until you do.
I can't find a single reason why Neymar should go to PSG... unless he's got some sort of beef with Messi...Which is highly unlikely...Why leave Barça?
#norai$in

I mean, it's not as if they had won six major trophies in the last three seasons, plus the Club World Cup and the odd SuperCup or two.

Debentures! Yes, I thought it would be a silly thing.

Anyway, for even more silly things in football-land. A Chilean team filed a lawsuit with a Chilean court against the local league because they wouldn't allow them to play (second division, apparently) unless they paid USD 2,000,000. The team won the lawsuit. FIFA has reacted by banning the Chilean national football team from any international events i.e. the World Cup qualifiers and potentially the World Cup itself.

This is all because FIFA is a sovereign entity and does not accept such things as courts or the rule of law (remember, Blatter once appointed his own ethics committee who promptly pronounced him to be completely clean™), so all complaints must be addressed internally. This would also have the side-effect of helping Argentina qualify over Chile and ensuring Messi would get to play.

That would suck really bad if true...I think the Chilean team deserves to play the WC and it would be a huge blow to the competition as a whole if they don't get to play it because of this...

Sometimes it's just good to get a change of scenery. Personally I think he is mostly motivated by the fact that at Barca he was never going to be the #1 player. He can be that at PSG. Plus $

Looks like I was totally wrong about him leaving too

edit: So a "Personal seat license" is just an extra cost that gets tacked on to your season ticket? Sounds like a scam

And €26,000,000, too. Never forget that.

Australia now in serious danger of missing the World Cup or at least sinking until the 3rd place and then intercontinental playoff.

We need to rack up at least a 3 goal margin on Thailand and hope Saudi Arabia don't win over Japan in Jeddah by more than 1-0. Realistically we need to run up more.

If Japan take a point in Saudi Arabia, any win is enough, but Japan has nothing to play for and we play first so the Saudis will know the equation.

Last edited:
And in order to achieve ‘financial fair play’ PSG arrange to borrow a player until next year when they will buy him, which is completely different from buying him this year outright.

Otherwise, WC qualifiers are scheduled for all throughout the day.

Halftime results for UEFA:
Group A
Bulgaria 2 - 2 Sweden
France 1 - 0 Netherlands
Luxembourg 0 - 0 Belarus
Group B
Hungary 2 - 1 Latvia
Portugal 2 - 1 Faroe Islands
Switzerland 1 - 0 Andorra
Group H
Belgium 6 - 0 Gibraltar
Cyprus 0 - 2 Bosnia-Herzegovina
Greece 0 - 0 Estonia

Belgium kept scoring even after having a man sent off.

Netherlands need to get their horsehocky together. Their first half would have been deemed week in terms of involvement if it had been a friendly. On a qualifier game it was truly ridiculous. Their second half was better but they paid their overall overaggressive stance with a red card.

Full time results!

Group A
Bulgaria 3 - 2 Sweden
France 4 - 0 Netherlands
Luxembourg 1 - 0 Belarus
Group B
Hungary 3 - 1 Latvia
Portugal 5 - 1 Faroe Islands
Switzerland 3 - 0 Andorra
Group H
Belgium 9 - 0 Gibraltar
Cyprus 3 - 2 Bosnia-Herzegovina
Greece 0 - 0 Estonia

The Greeks get four points out of a possible 6, not bad for once.
Reminder that the Netherlands lost against goddamned Bulgaria.
Hey, great-the Bulgarian Motherland also beat Sweden.

Aye, but in any event you're only one point away from them now and you can overtake them to get to the play-offs.

What happened to the Netherlands?? Their team is in total shambles and are most likely gonna miss the WC after missing Euro 2016...

Top Bottom