1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

For the record I strongly agree with 2metra on these recent RB developments.

We need to send that NAP extension message right away that asks for stone and spices. Don't offer the wine, we will trade that to them for gems later. We need to show a little backbone now for godsake.

2. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Chats in Civ4 always run from down to top. So you must start reading from the bottom and go up. The omitted 2 lines are RB's and I addressed that already. To my "Hello neighbor", the RB player said: "Oh, hi, so you are about to settle a new city, eh?" To which I say: "Which one?". Then RBer says: "Near the horses", then I ask: "On the isthmus?" from there the conversation is done in this tab. The RBer was writing in the common tab of the chat, while I started the chat in the private RB to CFC tab. Hope this makes more sense now.

70 turns of Stone is a lot. Stone is strategic resource. And Civ is strategic game. Depending on the situation, 1 rubbish city for the sake of getting a strategic resource can be well worth.

Of course if we can have the stone without having to settle bad locations, that would be the best case. But we still need a message to RB in which to ask for it first. If you want something from someone, the first thing is to make the other aware of your claim.

Time is ticking away.

3. 2metraninja

I will give my second try on the message to be included in the poll along with the other message proposals.

2metraninja's proposal for CFC message to RB v.0.2:

4. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

I think we've discussed the various options a lot. The poll seemed to show that the team feels that we are OK going with Caledorn's instinct on this. Any number of these would be fine to send, but we need to send something like now.

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

The chat is very confusing at first. 2metra sets up the context below the actual chat:

And in a later post:

So I take that to mean that 2metra tried to chat with him in the diplo screen, but it got closed. Then the RB player typed to all: "Oh, you are going to settle another city" and "we won't stop you from settling 1E either". At this point 2metraninja got him on the chat that he posted the image of, which you have to read bottom to top.

Edit: Crosspost with 2metra explaining this himself. Also, I agree that whatever we send, we need to send it already.

6. 2metraninja

But how it shows it is OK if only 2 out of 7 voters gave their preference for it?

7. 2metraninja

You know what? I am OK with sending Caledorn's proposal. I am tired of repeating one and the same. Just as I already said some 2 pages ago, I want to see how things will develop this time and if a kind word can achieve more than kind word and a big stick. Will be educational to me.

8. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I have adjusted the draft a bit, and will send it very shortly. If there is any late minute suggestions, then please give them to me as soon as possible.

Edit: I just noticed they suggested T175 and not T170. I adjusted it to say T175 since we are trying to say that we agree with their suggestion if they meet our demands.

9. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

My revision:
    This makes the wines a bit more mysterious and doesn't offer any reasons while we need stone or spice. We just say we want them as part of the NAP. We should send this and see what response we get.

10. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Thanks cav scout. You have rewritten it so it looks much better, so except the T170 that should be T175 I will use your draft instead of mine. :) I agree with your reasoning as well in regards to the resources. So is there any other comments or suggestions? I intend to send it before the clock turns midnight here (which is in 45 minutes).

11. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

That means the current draft looks like this, just for clarity's sake:

12. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Above draft sent.

13. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Scooter did not seem very happy on GTalk, and he said that discussions are slow in the weekend, but that they'd get back to us as quickly as possible. I suspect it is a delay tactic to see what we do with the settler.

14. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Now, whether RB will accept this deal or not is entirely up to them. We need to discuss two things:

1) What to do with the settler. If we settle non-aggressively (not to trying to grab the stone with city culture) they may relax a bit and just refuse the deal.
    2) What we wish to do if they refuse the deal.

15. 2metraninja

Interesting that he asked at all about this clarification with the wines. It gives slight hope and at least shows genuine interest. But just in the next line about their own wines, the hope wanes.

As for what we do if they refuse, it is indeed separate issue, which we will need to decide separately and once we have an answer. We can wait with our settler. We are not in hurry to settle this city. All our cities are secured to have units when they grow, so we dont need those wines right away and we can continue the mind game. We can even move the settler OVER the stone LOL. We will need 1 more settler to settle our optimal B2 and C2 spots, but we will get the Stone and show some spine.

16. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

All good points, and I agree fully. Let's keep the settler standing there while they deliberate what they wish to respond. It's an effective threat at the moment.

17. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Great work everyone. Good job sending the message Caledorn and also dealing with Scooter (that lying cheating piece of trash:mad:)...

If they refuse, they get no NAP. Simple.

Great suggestion on the edit cavscout:thumbsup: That was a little stronger position to take, which we definitely need to do at this point. TBH, I do not even completely want to take off the table 2metra's suggestion (nmaybe it was a little tongue-in-cheek) that we can just settle ON the stone. What a badass statement that would make:evil:

Anyway, I am OK with holding up the settlement to see what they say about the stone, but if they try to stall us more than a turn or so I would say just settle where the team agrees is best. Whether that is to get the stone (I would LOVE to have stone as I want TGW as everyone knows) or to get the best city site and culture war for the stone... Either way I trust the judgement of the MM experts.

I also trust Caledorn's judgment to get that message sent. Great work all.

18. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

19. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Excellent, glad to hear that they sound like they're on board. I'm a little skeptical, though. A 10-turn delay sounds like just enough to get the 'mids or TGW before gifting it over. Gift should start immediately, and to compromise we'll build the road to their stone for them. Then they just have to Quarry it to get their own source of stone back.

20. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

That was exactly my thought as well. I doubt they would be reluctant on parting with their stone just to build city walls at this point of the game, so I'm almost willing to bet on the fact that they're working on a wonder.

Edit: One thought I had is that we could call them on it, and ask them what wonder they are building with a promise that we won't try to race them for that wonder. It's a long shot though. Regardless of what we do, I don't think we should give any leeway on this one.