Foreign Policy: The Germans

talonschild

Drive-By NESer
This thread is to archive dealings with the Germans. Any information we have on them and also our current attitudes and relations.

Civforum.de (Isabella - Inca)
Leader Traits: Spiritual and Expansive
Unique Unit: Quechua
Unique Building: Terrace

Starting Techs: Agriculture and Mysticism
Starting Unit: Warrior

Current Status: Unmet, neutral

Should be contacted in German - who speaks German on this team?

If there is need for a translation into German, I can do it. But just translations, no creation of letters, as I am just a lurker and not really good at Civ4.

That's a great offer, thank you very much Calis. I do think it would be a good idea to go ahead and get a boilerplate message translated into German, as I think we have all the information we need to send them an initial message when we meet them (which could be any turn, since they seem to be intrepid explorers). Here's the generic message that was proposed that we can immediately send to new teams:

Greetings to Team {x} from Team CFC

We are happy to make contact with your team, and we look forward to cooperating with you.

As an initial suggestion, we would like to propose a NAP between our teams until turn {x}, to be renegotiated 15{?} turns before the NAP ends if neccessary. To clarify what we mean by a NAP, we mean that neither of our teams will declare war on the other team, or move a unit inside the other teams borders (thus also declaring war). This will give our teams time to build up trust, and to make more formal agreements on going forwards.

{If a neighbouring team we can add this paragraph:} We would like to add that we do not wish either of our teams to expand aggressively towards one another, so we would very much like to extend our suggestion of a NAP with a border agreement as well. Please let us know your thoughts on this. (Germans are not our neighbors)

We will follow up in a few days with some info sharing once this is discussed within the team.

{Diplomat nick}, on behalf of Team CFC

This was proposed awhile back, so maybe we want to tweak a few things, but I think it sounds good enough as is.

As far as our official German Ambassador, we tentatively have socralynnek down for this:

Disclaimer: This post will eventually contain our team officials, including responsibilities of the officials. As we currently don't have agreed on either responsibilities and persons for the positions, I added the names of the persons who have volunteered for these tasks and known responsibilities...

Diplomats/Ambassadors:
Caledorn
Bowsling (UniversCiv & Civfr)
Talonschild
2metraninja (WPC & Apolyton)
socralynnek (Civilized.de?)

Responsibilies:
Contacting the other teams. Drafting diplomatic missives.

That was based on this post.

I could talk to Civilized.de, but I suppose they will have enough people writing in English anyway, so probably no need for us to contact someone in German. Also I can't guarantee low response time...

socralynnek, are you still available for this? If not, is there anyone else who wants to act as Ambassador for the Germans?

socralynnek, are you still available for this? If not, is there anyone else who wants to act as Ambassador for the Germans?

I am available and still under same time constraints, which means, I'm probably here once per day, maybe even less. So I think someone with lower response time should do it, even if not speaking German.

I can help with translations, though and will have a go at the inital message tomorrow if Calis isn't doing it first.

This is a possible translation, but depending on the situation, some adjustment might be necessary.

@socralynnek: Feel free to make adjustments, as I feel it sounds a bit awkward at some points.

Frendliche Grüße von Team CFC an Team civforum.de,

Wir freuen uns, euerem Team zu begegnen und freuen uns auf eine gute Zusammenarbeit.

Zunächst schlagen wir vor, einen Nichtangriffspakt bis einschließlich Runde XX zwischen unseren Teams zu schließen, der 15 Runden vor Ablauf - falls notwendig - neu diskutiert wird. Ein NAP bedeute für uns, kein Team erklärt dem anderen den Krieg, unabhängig davon, ob durch direkte Erklärung oder durch eine Einheitenbewegung in das Territorium des anderen Teams. Dies ermöglicht unseren Teams, gegenseitiges Vertrauen aufzubauen und künftig weitere formale Vereinbarungen zu treffen.

In den nächsten Tagen werden wir fortfahren Informationen auszutauschen, sobald das innerhalb des Teams diskutiert wurde.

{Diplomat nick}, stellvertretend für Team CFC

Who is going to be ambassador?

This is not a real diplomatic news, but still it belongs in here I believe, as it is about The Germans. I was looking at some new games added at civstats and I saw something interesting. It seems that the Germans are organizing few new games and I saw names from their team - Yuffo, Jerry Demings, etc, who play in both ISDG2012 and in those pitbosses and I saw two names who really impressed me(and worried to some degree). Atose are Aristobulus and SPART1AT. To my thinking if they play in their pitbosses, they must be active and playing in the German team for the ISDG2012 too. Those two are of the world's elite Civ4 MP. Especially SPART1AT was believed to be unbeatable at duels in The League (Civplayers.com). They know how to play the game and how to kill enemies real good. Ze Germans may need their best soon if WPC are aiming at them btw.

Breaking news! Ze Germans had reached us!

At turn 70 their Quechua is standing on the hills NW of Indira.

I had quite a chat with their turnplayer and a log is coming in minutes.

I think our welcome message shoud be adjusted a bit. If someone writes something, I can translate it.

Or do we just want the standard?

I though we can wait for their greeting message and then answer. What came to me is that Flunky uses quite fluent English too, but showing attitude by writing in German is never a bat thing.

This is a possible translation, but depending on the situation, some adjustment might be necessary.

@socralynnek: Feel free to make adjustments, as I feel it sounds a bit awkward at some points.

Who is going to be ambassador?

Re-reading this, I propose the following text then if we go with the standard message (slightly changed wording, removed a typo):

Viele Grüße von Team CFC an Team civforum.de,

Wir freuen uns, eurem Team zu begegnen und freuen uns auf eine gute Zusammenarbeit.

Zunächst schlagen wir vor, einen Nichtangriffspakt bis einschließlich Runde XX zwischen unseren Teams zu schließen, der 15 Runden vor Ablauf - falls notwendig - neu diskutiert wird. Ein NAP bedeutet für uns, kein Team erklärt dem anderen den Krieg, unabhängig davon, ob durch direkte Erklärung oder durch eine Einheitenbewegung in das Territorium des anderen Teams. Dies ermöglicht unseren Teams, gegenseitiges Vertrauen aufzubauen und künftig weitere formale Vereinbarungen zu treffen.

In den nächsten Tagen werden wir uns auch wieder melden, um Informationen auszutauschen, sobald das innerhalb des Teams diskutiert wurde.

{Diplomat nick}, stellvertretend für Team CFC

BTW, I am pretty sure they have several people speaking fluently English, so I guess, availability of the ambassador is more important than language skills.

I was thinking we should ask them about RB's borders. Like, does RB already have a city planted for that Copper east of Adventure One? How close are they to the Oasis tile? They could be an excellent source of information about land we haven't seen for awhile.

Still nothing from them and now they have a war to deal with. Can we just send this, it's not very controversial and I'm tired of waiting for their message.

So, nothing was ever sent to the Germans. At this point I think we need to say something about their war. What about this:

Greetings to Team civforum.de from Team CFC,

We are happy to make contact with your team, and we look forward to cooperating with you. We see that WPC has declared war on you, how are things going?

As a sign of our friendship, we would like to propose a NAP between our teams until turn 115, to be renegotiated 15 turns before the NAP ends if neccesary. To clarify what we mean by a NAP, we mean that neither of our teams will declare war on the other team, or move a unit inside the other teams borders (thus also declaring war). This will give our teams time to build up trust, and to make more formal agreements on going forwards.

Hoffman Helm can find his way around our borders by going north or south, but unfortunately both paths have unprotected portions where barbs have been seen. If you continue south, there will be three tiles of relatively safe flatland before you can enter a forest for protection. You will need to continue traveling south for a little while longer to get past our borders. Speaking of borders, did you happen to notice how far east RB's borders expand towards us?

Socralynnek (or 2metraninja?), on behalf of Team CFC

Yes, lets send something, this is good.

Do we wait for a new translation, or send it in English only?
2metra, what do you think about being ambassador?

Top Bottom