1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: The Germans

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

This thread is to archive dealings with the Germans. Any information we have on them and also our current attitudes and relations.

Civforum.de (Isabella - Inca)
    Leader Traits: Spiritual and Expansive
    Unique Unit: Quechua
    Unique Building: Terrace

Starting Techs: Agriculture and Mysticism
    Starting Unit: Warrior

Current Status: Unmet, neutral

Should be contacted in German - who speaks German on this team?

2. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

That's a great offer, thank you very much Calis. I do think it would be a good idea to go ahead and get a boilerplate message translated into German, as I think we have all the information we need to send them an initial message when we meet them (which could be any turn, since they seem to be intrepid explorers). Here's the generic message that was proposed that we can immediately send to new teams:

This was proposed awhile back, so maybe we want to tweak a few things, but I think it sounds good enough as is.

As far as our official German Ambassador, we tentatively have socralynnek down for this:

That was based on this post.

socralynnek, are you still available for this? If not, is there anyone else who wants to act as Ambassador for the Germans?

3. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

I am available and still under same time constraints, which means, I'm probably here once per day, maybe even less. So I think someone with lower response time should do it, even if not speaking German.

I can help with translations, though and will have a go at the inital message tomorrow if Calis isn't doing it first.

4. Calis

Calis on time

This is a possible translation, but depending on the situation, some adjustment might be necessary.

@socralynnek: Feel free to make adjustments, as I feel it sounds a bit awkward at some points.

Who is going to be ambassador?

5. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Remember that in CivIV, the game does not allow you to move into somebody else's territory without open borders.

6. Calis

Calis on time

As I said, I just translated. Moving into an opponents borders means war, right?

7. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

This is not a real diplomatic news, but still it belongs in here I believe, as it is about The Germans. I was looking at some new games added at civstats and I saw something interesting. It seems that the Germans are organizing few new games and I saw names from their team - Yuffo, Jerry Demings, etc, who play in both ISDG2012 and in those pitbosses and I saw two names who really impressed me(and worried to some degree). Atose are Aristobulus and SPART1AT. To my thinking if they play in their pitbosses, they must be active and playing in the German team for the ISDG2012 too. Those two are of the world's elite Civ4 MP. Especially SPART1AT was believed to be unbeatable at duels in The League (Civplayers.com). They know how to play the game and how to kill enemies real good. Ze Germans may need their best soon if WPC are aiming at them btw.

8. talonschild

I devoutly hope WPC is gunning for them. Dog Soldiers make such a pretty noise destroying Quechuas. And it may be necessary to fight the Inca whie Quechuas are still the cream of the crop.

9. 2metraninja

Breaking news! Ze Germans had reached us!

At turn 70 their Quechua is standing on the hills NW of Indira.

I had quite a chat with their turnplayer and a log is coming in minutes.

10. 2metraninja

Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

11. Calis

Calis on time

I think our welcome message shoud be adjusted a bit. If someone writes something, I can translate it.

Or do we just want the standard?

12. 2metraninja

I though we can wait for their greeting message and then answer. What came to me is that Flunky uses quite fluent English too, but showing attitude by writing in German is never a bat thing.

13. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

Re-reading this, I propose the following text then if we go with the standard message (slightly changed wording, removed a typo):

BTW, I am pretty sure they have several people speaking fluently English, so I guess, availability of the ambassador is more important than language skills.

14. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I was thinking we should ask them about RB's borders. Like, does RB already have a city planted for that Copper east of Adventure One? How close are they to the Oasis tile? They could be an excellent source of information about land we haven't seen for awhile.

15. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

Still nothing from them and now they have a war to deal with. Can we just send this, it's not very controversial and I'm tired of waiting for their message.

16. talonschild

Yes, do.

17. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

So, nothing was ever sent to the Germans. At this point I think we need to say something about their war. What about this:

18. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

I like it.

19. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

Yes, lets send something, this is good.

20. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Do we wait for a new translation, or send it in English only?
    2metra, what do you think about being ambassador?