Foreign Policy: The Germans

Hmm, seems like there hasn't been any contact with the Germans since last month, and we never replied to their initial greeting message! They were proposing quite a bit of cooperation, I wonder if its not too late to agree to some of their suggestions. Here are some of the topics they brought up that we really should have answered, and should consider answering now:
  • They mentioned they know RB and WPC, and ask us who we have met (they neglect to mention that they have also met Poly)
  • They request assistance finding a route to the south. We should ask if they are still interested in directions
  • They suggest we coordinate research so we can give each other the Known Tech bonus. Any interest in opening up this level of info-sharing and cooperation with them?

Proposed message to Germans (albeit rather later than planned):

Hi, Team Civforum.de,

It's a pleasure to see you again. We seem to have misplaced our previous message, and we apologize for that. I hope it's not too late to still talk?

We planned to offer you a suggested route around our lands when you first arrived. It seems that you've managed quite well on your own, though! If you're still interested, we'd like to offer you directions, and Open Borders so that you don't have to risk going near the barbarian city. Are you at all interested?

We are very interested in coordinating research paths. In good faith, we... [insert ending here]

We hope that you can overlook our mistake in not replying and that we can work together profitably in the future, both near and distant.

talonschild, representing Team Civfanatics

Now, I happen to be very interested in tech coordination. If the team is not, strike that paragraph. What I planned to offer in good faith was that we're nearly done Mathematics, and what we're planning on starting next.

Is the tone alright? If not, we can always substitute "Hail" or "'Sup" in place of "Hi", depending on the desired effect.

Questions? Comments? Silly jokes?

Haha "silly jokes" part is my favorite.

We made a serious fail by not responding to them in time and we both know this, but I think it is better one dry excuse or better yet "reason" why we did not responded in time will be absolutely enough - we dont want to sound overly excusing ourselves - it will be awkward for both teams. I would have also not "ask" too much. You did quite good job by "proposing" reasonable things, so no need to specially ask if they agree- if they are interested and find that good idea/offer, they will say/comment.

Also I think we must propose OB to WPC too if we propose OB to Germans. That is the least painful way to do that.

As for research paths, it wont hurt us telling them our next tech. How gain we can have in research paths coordination is another story. But it wont hurt.

Great message talonschild. Thanks for putting it together. I don't even think we need to wait on a translation. Probably better that it just get sent off sooner.

Hi, Team Civforum.de,

It's a pleasure to see you again. We seem to have misplaced our previous message in all the fuss; I hope it's not too late to still talk?

We planned to offer you a suggested route around our lands when you first arrived. It seems that you've managed quite well on your own, though! If you're still interested, we'd like to offer you directions, and Open Borders so that you don't have to risk going near the barbarian city.

We hope that we can work together profitably in the future, both near and distant.

talonschild, representing Team Civfanatics

Trimmed a bit. Should I offer that we're near done Mathematics as part of the hopefully-nascent tech agreement?

Yeah, I don't see any problem sharing that. We're not in a race for anything

Thanks a lot Talons. That is a good message and good job moving the diplomacy again.

Which reminds me we (I) should send a message to WPC proposing them OB too.

Great job, talons! :)

Last time they have sent their message some 3 days after we expected it, so they are not that fast at diplomacy as it seems, so nothing to worry I guess.

I will still send them some short in-game message to let them know they have a diplo-mail from us :)

So how far do you guys wanna go with the Known Tech Bonus? What else can I share?
As for the known-tech bonus, I think we are going to tech Currency after Math. We can share this info with them I think, but we wont be able to start teching Currency for some 7-8 turns to collect the money and then tech it at 100% for some other 10-12 turns I think. If they can tech Currency in the meanwhile, then we are OK with that, but we would have waited anyway. Maybe for them this can be a factor?

Told them they got mail from us and offered them OB in-game.

Yeah, based on what has been said in the public thread, it sounds like the Germans aren't getting a whole lot of participation from their team, so it might be awhile before we can expect to hear back from them. Good idea to send an in-game message, though, in case they're not checking their team email account regularly.

Once we hear back from them, I agree it's fine to let them know that Currency is our next target, but it will be awhile before we actually turn research back on. Maybe we can ask them if they have any plans to research some of the techs that are next on our list, so we can hopefully get some Known Tech discounts on them. I'm not sure what our plans are, though. Maybe Monarchy?

Mentioned in the WPC diplomacy thread- might as well mention it here:
RegentMan said:
Well, with the WPC attack appearing to be stalling, the only thing this war has accomplished is knocking WPC and the Germans out of the running for victory. That said, the Germans need a buddy. I propose we be that buddy- open borders, information sending, information about WPC that might be helpful.

This means not being so open to WPC, which is why I'm against open borders with them right now. This'll show the Germans that we really want to work with them- we don't also have open borders with their enemy.

I noticed something while logged into the game just now.

Spoiler :

The Germans (Flunky) rejected our OB offer! Their scouting Quechua has fortified on the hill 2 south of our borders and 2 west of the barb city. Interesting move...

Maybe they need to discuss this with their team and the turnplayer to get a formal aproval before accepting such thing.

Top Bottom