1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum migrated to xenforo!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Thunderfall, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Do you mean something like this little bar?

Little Bar.jpg

2. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

goddamnit the admin outdid me

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Oh, it's there after all! It's never visible thanks to the ads. Thankee!

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Yeah, I'm not happy at all about that. No matter which forum I'm on, I set my preferences to the maximum number of posts/page and threads/page. I'm using an XP these days, and it's really slow at loading new pages at times.

5. Takhisis

Windows XP? Switch to Linux.

6. Valka D'Ur

Why?

7. Takhisis

Because it's better. btw that would derail the thread, but consult in private.

8. Valka D'Ur

Okay, feel free to send me a PM and explain it (yes, I am honestly curious about this).

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I don't think they are, I'm pretty sure they just drifted away. And I tried searching for Chieftess just now, whom I'm sure is not permabanned, and it didn't find her either. I suspect you're right about inactive members not showing up. IMO it would be nice if they did, since a semi-common way that I check to see if someone's been around CFC is searching their member page, and seeing when/where they last posted. You can still do that if you find one of their posts, but it's more straightforward via member search if all you want to know is, "Has Fifty been around lately?"

You aren't able to view the profile of permabanned members anymore (checking via the thread-start link of a well-known permabanned member), although it does appear you can follow permabanned members. IIRC this is different from vBulletin 3.

The smilies (at least in the full More Options editor) are now grouped into five groups, which is nice. I'm hoping the Christmas smilies make their return as well.

I still use an older XP machine to browse CFC as well, since it's my laptop with the best battery life. It's fairly quick yet though. I don't know if Linux would help with CFC browsing speeds, since I know it's still possible to get quick browsing with XP with sufficient hardware. A faster browser (depending on what you're using currently) may help more. But there are other reasons Linux may be worthwhile, primarily falling software and security support (although XP still has advantages as well, such as being able to play Civ3/4).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  10. Takhisis

For that particular thing, you can always install more than one OS on the same rig. :)

11. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

True. Hard drive space is an issue on my particular machine (and not upgradeable due to a mechanical issue), but for machines without that issue, that's an option worth considering.

Multi-quote across threads can be useful; I've used it occasionally on other fora when it seemed appropriate to reply from more than one thread at a time (for example, you could quote both a question and a post that answered it in a different thread in one response). But it would be nice to have that be a user-level option; whether XenForo supports that I don't know.

Fun fact: The creators of XenForo came from vBulletin. It's rebuilt from the ground up, which explains some of the various feature divergences.

12. Valka D'Ur

Banned people have a strikethrough across their usernames.

It's been quite awhile. Our last conversation was years ago.

I suppose they thought horizontal would mean less scrolling, but it just looks messy.

I had an XP years ago and it died. Then I went up to 8.1 and that one is giving me problems. I bought this current XP earlier this year so I could play Civ II Test of Time without going through all the rigamarole it takes to play it on newer computers, and am currently in the midst of a game and busy acquiring the tech to get to Naumachia.

13. racha

racha Warlord

It's showing up for me at the bottom of the page.

14. Takhisis

Yeah, read up. At first it didn't show and eventually someone put it in.

Now, why on earth am I not allowed to use URL tags on visitor messages?

15. Valka D'Ur

I think there's a limit on how many character spaces you can use for those. Unless you mean "Conversations"?

BTW, visitors' messages, aka profile posts, are now even more public than they were before.

16. Takhisis

It's not about character spaces, it's about the tag itself being screwed. I'm allowed to dump a link and it'll be auto-converted to it, but I cannot tag a piece of text as being a link.

17. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

Yes that's a real pain. IIRC I used to have 50 posts per page previously. Whilst it's not the highest priority I would like it to be addressed at some point.

18. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

How about 40 posts per page for desktop skins and 25 posts per page for mobile skins?

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  19. Takhisis

Well, with vBulletin we were allowed multiples of 10, up to 50 IIRC. I've seen other forums using vBulletin with a maximum of 100.

20. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Genial drunkard

:spear:

Yay! it's still here, after all these years and 3 new Civ versions.