France reworked.

Remmert

Warlord
France seems to be reworked with a new UA: "City of Light": Theme bonuses doubled in capital city .
Also seeing in the screenshot, they have a Chateau UI.

It gives me some questions
What does it mean? will there be a 3th UU/UB/UI for all the civs, or would the Musketeer or Foreign Legion kicked out?

And which known Civ's also could be reworked?

How do you guys think about the new France?

my guess is a third uu/ui/ub.
just take a look at portugal.
they have a boat and a situational trade improvement.
is there any other civ that doesnt have at least a low-tech land unit among their UUs?

it would also be along his lines of "taking a look at all the existing civs".

edit: ok there is Netherlands with no land UU. :/
but you gotta say that both their UU as well as their UI are very universal (as long as there is alot of water).

We don't know anything about the UI, but based on the UA and that Tourism (of all things) can flip cities, I might be able to finally enjoy playing at France. We know that Musketeers are still in, so the UI probably replaced the Foreign Legion. No chance in hell are they doing thirds.

As for any others, Germany looks like they might get reworked since the Zulu just got a big piece of Germany's UA for their own. Hopefully Germany gets something that reflects the Medieval or Imperial timeframe rather than the tribal timeframe.

will there be a 3th UU/UB/UI for all the civs, or would the Musketeer or Foreign Legion kicked out?

Impossible - we know for a fact that Poland only has two uniques + UA. It's very unlikely some would get two, and others would get three - that would make the game incredibly unbalanced!

We don't know that is a UI. We've only seen it in French territory so far, but that doesn't mean that, whatever it is, only the French can build it.

Impossible - we know for a fact that Poland only has two uniques + UA. It's very unlikely some would get two, and others would get three - that would make the game incredibly unbalanced!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's highly unlikely they'd spend the time making a third unique for all 43 civs.

But impossible? No. And you can't use Poland or Brazil or Assyria or anyone else as evidence. If they were to make a third unique for everyone, and weren't yet ready to announce that, they're not going to advertise the third unique for any of the new civs. They'd simply reveal two of the uniques and keep quiet on the third.

my guess is a third uu/ui/ub.
just take a look at portugal.
they have a boat and a situational trade improvement.
is there any other civ that doesnt have at least a low-tech land unit among their UUs?

it would also be along his lines of "taking a look at all the existing civs".

Netherlands?

I doubt there's any third improvement/UU/UB - it's clear they're struggling conceptually to tie even two to a lot of civs, particularly with the requirement that one must be a unit (Naruesan's Elephant? Battering ram and siege tower as UUs?), and this is exacerbated by an increasing number of civs (some moderately obscure). When he talked about some civs getting reworked UAs, Shirk said "unique abilities and items", so clearly some civs are getting changes to their UB or UU. The Unique Improvement concept didn't exist in Civ V vanilla (it was introduced with the Inca), so it seems quite likely that some vanilla civs would be revisited to give them UIs in place of other uniques.

Though a chateau seems a bizarre choice for a UI.

how do you know that poland doesnt have a third?

it's clear they're struggling conceptually to tie even two to a lot of civs, particularly with the requirement that one must be a unit (Naruesan's Elephant? Battering ram and siege tower as UUs?)
my problem with that is that if they replace any of france's UUs with a chateau, then the game would lose something it already had. removing something is usually a bad thing. no matter how misplaced a unit might, there will always be players who played the civ solely for that unit (i always enjoyed elephants in civ4, too bad they are so weak in civ5 :().
therefore i expect them to add a third, if they change anything about those UU/UB/UI at all.

for all we know the Chateau improvement is available to everybody. for all we know it's a new improvement that speeds up GP generation that you have to unlock by completing the Aesthetics tree.

but it does seem /very/ French, so there's that.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's highly unlikely they'd spend the time making a third unique for all 43 civs.

But impossible? No. And you can't use Poland or Brazil or Assyria or anyone else as evidence. If they were to make a third unique for everyone, and weren't yet ready to announce that, they're not going to advertise the third unique for any of the new civs. They'd simply reveal two of the uniques and keep quiet on the third.

Except they have proved us that Poland has two, and exactly two, uniques (besides the UA).

The interface is pretty much complete, so it's not that they have yet to include it in the loading screen. So, unless one is to suggest they decided to take it out from the loading screen on purpose so that they can shows us a loading screen, I'd say it's pretty much debunked... :p

I dont see why it's impossible to have 3 uniques, but then again it should count for all civs. 2 UU and 1 UB/UI should be fair.
But when it won't be happening, I could be an UI for all civs or one French UU would be kicked out.

my problem with that is that if they replace any of france's UUs with a chateau, then the game would lose something it already had. removing something is usually a bad thing. no matter how misplaced a unit might, there will always be players who played the civ solely for that unit (i always enjoyed elephants in civ4, too bad they are so weak in civ5 :().
therefore i expect them to add a third, if they change anything about those UU/UB/UI at all.

Because the demo showed only TWO uniques when loading up a saved game.

Naruesan's Elephant is a strong unit, it's just that as the struggle to find a sensible name indicates, it doesn't represent anything genuinely endemic to Siam or even especially associated with Siamese armies.

It's not impossible that a unit duplicating the Foreign Legion's abilities will be added to another civ. France already seems to be 'losing' something as it seems no longer to get its culture boost from founding cities, so there's precedent.

They could bump the foreign lands promotion up to the musketeer and simply keep the foreign legion graphics as in Denmark and Polynesia's embarkment.

It's not impossible that a unit duplicating the Foreign Legion's abilities will be added to another civ. France already seems to be 'losing' something as it seems no longer to get its culture boost from founding cities, so there's precedent.
oh yeah, that was my alternative guess.
what kind of country would be predestinated for (French) Foreign Legionaires other than France?
Algeria?

For the purposes of controlling information, I wouldn't put it past them to simply have a loading screen that did not depict the third unique.

I want to talk a bit about the new UA, City of Light.

From what I understand, the Palace is going to have one Great Works slot available. My take on the new UA is that the French might get one or even two additional slots in the Palace in order to use their theming bonus earlier.

Considering it is only used in the French capital, and that the Palace is unique to every capital, I think there's a good chance that this might be part of the new UA.

The Chateau, if named so, is too specific to be available to every civ and its model is clearly based on the French palaces on the Loire. Until we know more of it, I assume it's a new French UI, just as the Feitoria is Portugal's. If it is available to all, however, it should be tied to civ's city art style. An example of great French architecture shouldn't be a default for, for example, East Asian civs - they had their own beautiful and distinct palaces.

My original thought was that this Chateau is a unique improvement created by French great artists or engineers, but since we've seen workers working on it in a screenshot, I assume it's a river-dependent, tourism- or culture-generating French UI. Foreign Legion is the more likely to be scrapped, but it will be reused as a generic unit.

Top Bottom