Funny Screenshots: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
The grenadier-on-the-other-side-of-the-world thing tends to happen on the edge of the world. I attribute it to the idea that, although we normally think of the world as round, in Civ4, it's still possible to fall off the edge of the world sometimes.

I was playing a multiplayer game recently, and kept fairly focused on my research priorities, when my army wasn't on strike. As a result, it's now the time of the Great War, and my people still don't know how to fish.

I didn't originally intend to forgo fishing, it just sort of happened. On a Pangaea map, with only modest sea resources... I didn't really notice until sometime between 1100 and 1500. And that was mostly because I realized I was fighting mostly with Archers in a war that ended in 1160. Surprisingly, the war effort was a success.

Clearly, I've forgotten a few things about keeping up technologicallly since I last played.

The grenadier-on-the-other-side-of-the-world thing tends to happen on the edge of the world. I attribute it to the idea that, although we normally think of the world as round, in Civ4, it's still possible to fall off the edge of the world sometimes.

I was playing a multiplayer game recently, and kept fairly focused on my research priorities, when my army wasn't on strike. As a result, it's now the time of the Great War, and my people still don't know how to fish.

[...]

I didn't originally intend to forgo fishing, it just sort of happened. On a Pangaea map, with only modest sea resources... I didn't really notice until sometime between 1100 and 1500. And that was mostly because I realized I was fighting mostly with Archers in a war that ended in 1160. Surprisingly, the war effort was a success.

Clearly, I've forgotten a few things about keeping up technologicallly since I last played.

I don't know. If you didn't need it, then it's likely a smart move not wasting time researching it. I've done similar. But yeah, it is funny, no-one knowing how to fish in 1914...

Ok , because is still italian , i will translate , and eventually making you to get it :

"I traditori Americano(correct "americani" ) devono essere puniti per le offese nei confronti di altre civilità , XXXX ! Possiamo contare sul tuo aiuto ?" = "The americans traitors must be punished for the offences against to other civilizations ! Can we trust on your help ? "

It's Saladin , it's arabian , a you the conclusions :D

Attachments

• how ironic0000.JPG
    how ironic0000.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 326
*rofl* If you look at the Scoreboard you can see that Roosevelt is Islamic. :lol:

He's also researching communism.

The uranium doesnt have to be on the surface. If uranium is in the rocks, even in infinitely small amounts, when it decays it releases radon that can posion you.

I'm pretty sure the radon from an infinitely small amount of uranium isn't much of a problem at all.

I'm pretty sure the radon from an infinitely small amount of uranium isn't much of a problem at all.

Actually, the uranium in the rocks would be concentrated. Just like all minerals found around Earth, there are veins of minerals or clusters of it.

Radon can be a serious health risk. Short-term exposure isn't the big problem, its the long-term that kills you. Since radon is radioactive, it can cause cancer or lung disease if you are around it long enough. Also, like a member posted before, radon decays into lead, which is also very toxic to humans and such.

Actually, the uranium in the rocks would be concentrated.

No, an infinitely small amount would not be very concentrated. It would pretty much be the opposite of concentrated.

Edited to add, before this totally junks up the screenshots thread: think carefully about what "infinitely small" means.

sorry if put images wrong ;)
Spoiler :
[/URL][/IMG]

1st image - that happens (almost everyone in my religion and friendly) when you don't build APalace because think that its impossible to win IMM level game on that way... (AP built by India and is for Budhism).. Good side - I'm safe in military as long as anybody don't leave Hinduism for Free Religion and I keep these Defensive pacts active (2nd image)... I guess Diplo with UN is way to go? (still playing.. just started war against India... atleast some fun in game where nothing can't go too wrong from now..)

sorry if put images wrong ;)
Spoiler :

1st image - that happens (almost everyone in my religion and friendly) when you don't build APalace because think that its impossible to win IMM level game on that way... (AP built by India and is for Budhism).. Good side - I'm safe in military as long as anybody don't leave Hinduism for Free Religion and I keep these Defensive pacts active (2nd image)... I guess Diplo with UN is way to go? (still playing.. just started war against India... atleast some fun in game where nothing can't go too wrong from now..)

..what would happen is someone DoW you??Hmm..:mischief:

You have Shaka that you could infuriate, and Caesar's a bit of a warrior.

You are correct - Ceaser's was 1st who declared war to somebody (before he and target civ got Hindu).... And Shaka is the one who started war against India (and few turns later after screenshoots asked to join that war.. sure that I agree.. have been peacefully building my empire all the game without any single war... that was too strange.. its typical for me to be attacked by some :D )..
I just thinking - what if i destroy India and make colony instead of them.. how high is chance to get Montezuma as my vassal? (or Netherland will get somebody else for sure?)

Actually, the uranium in the rocks would be concentrated. Just like all minerals found around Earth, there are veins of minerals or clusters of it.

Radon can be a serious health risk. Short-term exposure isn't the big problem, its the long-term that kills you. Since radon is radioactive, it can cause cancer or lung disease if you are around it long enough. Also, like a member posted before, radon decays into lead, which is also very toxic to humans and such.

Tiny amounts of elemental lead are not really a worry, especially since it's a solid at room temperature and would very rapidly deposit itself on the floor. Even large amounts of such - for example in old-fashioned water lead piping, stuff I remember having to patch up back in the 1970s - are not a problem unless they corrode to lead compounds, which can be assimilated by the human body. If you are sitting next to an old CRT monitor (less and less likely I know, though I do have a couple lying around), then you are sitting next to lots of lead. It won't mess with you unless you mess with it.

The real problem with radon, especially it being heavier than air, is that it can easily accumulate in unventilated areas, especially basements. You're correct that long-term exposure in such an environment carries a significant risk, most likely of lung cancer. Of course, this is only a big issue in places that overlie not just uranium-, but thorium-bearing rocks. These are usually igneous formations like the intrusive granites in Devon and Cornwall in the UK. (U and Th do not have to be massively concentrated to create a radon problem, just somewhat above average will do if you have enormous rock formations - in this case it's just ordinary granite, not any special ore. Though it has been suggested that we mine granite for thorium, there's a lot more of it in there than uranium and reactors have been designed to make use of it.)

Anyway, such places enjoy regular govt health warnings to new home owners, but the problem can usually just be alleviated by better ventilation. (I remember - while selling a home in London, where there is no such issue, and we were on the top floor anyway - being asked by an overzealous estate agent if we'd had a radon assessment. He seemed baffled as to why we were rolling around laughing.)

Tiny amounts of elemental lead are not really a worry, especially since it's a solid at room temperature and would very rapidly deposit itself on the floor. Even large amounts of such - for example in old-fashioned water lead piping, stuff I remember having to patch up back in the 1970s - are not a problem unless they corrode to lead compounds, which can be assimilated by the human body. If you are sitting next to an old CRT monitor (less and less likely I know, though I do have a couple lying around), then you are sitting next to lots of lead. It won't mess with you unless you mess with it.

The real problem with radon, especially it being heavier than air, is that it can easily accumulate in unventilated areas, especially basements. You're correct that long-term exposure in such an environment carries a significant risk, most likely of lung cancer. Of course, this is only a big issue in places that overlie not just uranium-, but thorium-bearing rocks. These are usually igneous formations like the intrusive granites in Devon and Cornwall in the UK. (U and Th do not have to be massively concentrated to create a radon problem, just somewhat above average will do if you have enormous rock formations - in this case it's just ordinary granite, not any special ore. Though it has been suggested that we mine granite for thorium, there's a lot more of it in there than uranium and reactors have been designed to make use of it.)

Anyway, such places enjoy regular govt health warnings to new home owners, but the problem can usually just be alleviated by better ventilation. (I remember - while selling a home in London, where there is no such issue, and we were on the top floor anyway - being asked by an overzealous estate agent if we'd had a radon assessment. he seemed baffled as to why we were rolling around laughing.)

You are entirely correct about the health risks and how uranium-bearing rocks are not the only problem. Even though radon expires very quickly, lead can still hang around for a long time, like you said previously. Also, I'm glad that you mentioned how you should have a radon assessment. For areas where this is a problem, it can be difficult to sell a house if there is a known radon problem.

To bring up the issue of how small the samples of uranium can be, I think that Doctor Philbes did a great job in covering this asset. The toxic substances accumulate into concentrated radioactive clumps, which can settle in ventilation ducts and etc... Yes, a single radon atom will not pose a large health concern to you, but like I have said, minerals like to 'hang' around the same area. For example, the gold veins that are located in the western United States and gold veins around the globe. Those indivdual gold molecules came together through a long process of accumulation. The gold veins in the west coast of america were accumulated when geological activity from the fault lines and tectonic plates tore cracks through the earth that filled with water. The gold molecules seeped into these cracks becaue gold doesn't bond with any other substance. As the gold accumulation became heavier and more numerous, they hardened and stuck together. Through millions of years the veins have been covered and hidden. That, is one example of how minerals come together in concentrations.

Okay, now that I have gotten that out of the way, lets please return this thread back to its original purpose. Let's laugh and let this go. :D

Damn it guys, look what you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom