1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

It would solve the problem of Syria somehow never getting on "great civilizations" list and in such games, despite Aleppo and Damascus being probably the oldest continuously occupied cities in the world, despite Syria being among cradles of civilization, and despite having huge cultural influence.
    It even had few big states for a while (Yamhad based on Aleppo, Mari, Ebla...) which were tier 1 powers of the Middle East.

mitsho and Zaarin like this.
  2. Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit Chieftain

Alright, it’s officially time for FXS to say something.

I’ve been preaching patience here for weeks but it’s been basically 8 months, ⅔ of a year, since the Red Death patch and the last official word from them.

That’s a long time for a game that originally came out in 2016. Most non Fanatics think support is done based on the two expansion pattern from earlier games. (At least this is what I’ve heard on the gaming podcasts I listen to.)

We all know about 2K’s old school marketing techniques, and the depot names are cute, but it’s time for some news. A roadmap, a vague promise that something is coming—anything really. It does feel like we’re being strung on a little bit at this point.

Come on FXS, we could all use some good news—give us a tidbit at least!

Jkchart, AntSou, Inawordyes and 12 others like this.
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

What civilization would you attach him to, though? Armenia is probably the best candidate, but there he has serious competition from Tigranes II and Tiridates III. I suppose one could make a case for Persia, but he never actually ruled Persia proper. Agreed he'd make a great leader, though.

That's true, but even if I don't like her as the leader of France even I can't deny that CdM has a great in-game persona (though I think that persona would have fit Wu Zetian better). While there are exceptions (I'm positive Brazil has had more colorful leaders than Pedro, for instance), Civ6 has indeed skewed towards personalities over Civ5's tendency towards "the greats."

Absolutely. Zenobia has the pop culture appeal and personal charisma that makes her perfect as a stand-in for the many important Syrian city-states and kingdoms.

Jkchart likes this.
  4. Codeword Iroquois

Codeword Iroquois Warlord

I have to say, though, reading up on Catherine can be interesting- her husband, King Henri II, died after taking a jousting pole through the face, and she was influential on the political scene through the reign of at least four kings. All the leaders have an interesting personality, or history, or really anything else. Besides, I think Firaxis have been trying to pick leaders that are not usually chosen (though some are classics, like Monty, Gandhi, and Cyrus), such as Catherine, Teddy, Trajan, and Gorgo, all new leaders from civs that have been in every game.

Zaarin and RohirrimElf like this.
  5. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

It would be nice if they added a Nomadic DLC, with some nomadic civilizations, including the Huns. It would use the Beyond Earth's floating cities mechanic to simulate their nomadic nature, that is, you can use production to move your cities around, which could be used not only to increase your borders, but also give some additional advantages that somehow replaces districts and buildings. That's right, they wouldn't have districts, wonders and buildings, aside from a few basic city center buildings (monument, granary and water mill). They would be Civs focused on city projects, tile improvements and units. In the future era, your cities gain the ability to move to water.

Good luck design that, Firaxis. You got a Month to do it right in the middle of a historic pandemic. I want no excuses. :coffee:

DWilson and Haig like this.
  6. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

With how important Districts are, I don't think that would be a tenable design under the Civ6 system. You're missing out on so many important pieces of infrastructure that they would need incredibly overpowered bonuses to compensate. On top of that they'd also be unable to acquire a lot of Eurekas and Inspirations. I think it would be far too difficult to make Nomadic civs work without constructing a viable gameplan for them to begin with.

I think I'd rather see them try to make a Scenario that experiments with idea before trying to make it a thing for the main game.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Zaarin and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  7. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

As @Zaarin described it, I do like her in game personality but I, and many others, were perplexed by the leader choice at the beginning when France does have a multitude of other choices they could have picked from is all I'm saying.

Damascus and Aleppo are on Arabia's city list so it would probably be hard for Syria to make it in unless they decided to relegate the cities to just the Arabian peninsula inn the future.

8. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

I'll take that one step further. Huns - Play as Barbarians. No cities, just 'flags' a lá Red Death. Just huge horde that converts Barbarians to your cause. Sweeping through the map, pillaging and destroying. THE HUNS!

9. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Yeah, it's unlikely that would happen in Civ VI, aside from a scenario, but it could be something interesting for Civ VII. On top of all the unique stuff that each Civ have, they could create some classes of Civs, each with its own unique features, one of them being nomadic Civs. It could be something not much different from affinities on Beyond Earth, but instead of an optional path, each Civ is locked into one of these classes, that have unique tech trees, with unique mechanics, buildings, units and whatnot.

10. Zaarin

Call them Darmesheq and Halpa. You're welcome. Not like we haven't had Constantinople and Istanbul before, and we already have a number of other doublets. In fact, Aleppo and Halab (the Arabic name of Aleppo) are both already on Arabia's city list. :p Neither Palmyra, nor its Arabic form Tadmur, nor its Aramaic form Tadmor, are on Arabia's city list anyway.

679x and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Just letting people know those cities are in the game already, and yes I knew Aleppo is in there twice. :p
    I know using the same city but in different languages would solve other problems like possibly making a separate Mughal Civ from say another Civ from the Indian subcontinent in the future.

Zaarin likes this.
  12. Zaarin

Because virtually all of Arabia's cities are either in Arabic or Greek (since those are the two sources for common English names), simply using Aramaic names (Emesa vs. Homs, Hamat vs. Hama, Batnai vs. Al-Bab) would make duplicates fairly rare even though many of the cities themselves are on Arabia's list--but again Palmyra/Tadmor is not, nor are Bosra, Marat, Arbela, Orhay, etc.

13. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Just give him a Pontic Empire; I certainly think all his conquered and tributary lands around the Black Sea and his allies in Armenia and Parthia would certainly qualify.

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Codeword Iroquois

Codeword Iroquois Warlord

I have to say, though, the middle east is getting kind of clogged up. (Not as bad as in 5, but still bad) with at least seven civs in and directly around the Fertile Crescent and Levant. The region is rich with history, but there just isn't enough space in there for all of the civs we want in.

15. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Well, it's getting kind of tricky. The most underrepresented areas of the world are currently the Americas and there is only so much you can add to that (Maya, Iroquois, Shoshone, etc).

Zaarin and RohirrimElf like this.
  16. Guynemer

Guynemer King

As someone who never plays an Earth map, I disagree.

17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Not as clogged up as Europe, and I'm pretty sure they will at least add one more in Europe.
    I'm hoping for at least one more in the Middle East anyway.

679x, Zaarin and RohirrimElf like this.
  18. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Totally agree. I want Babylon, Assyria, AND Hittites to come to this game...

WorldWarIV, Zaarin and RohirrimElf like this.
  19. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Completely off topic and I apologize to the mods, but your new Civilizations Expanded mod is terrific. Sincerely, thank you.

pokiehl and RohirrimElf like this.
  20. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Next to the most obvious expected civs. I am looking forward towards 2 ww2 focussed Civs. Preferably Stalin and Roosevelt. Would like to see a balance in the chosen civs by tech. As much as i do recognize that a couple of important ancient civs are still missing in civ 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.