1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I feel the opposite. The Near East is practically empty compared to what it ought to be. From the Ancient/Classical Near East we only have three civs: Sumer, Phoenicia, and Persia (four if you count Egypt); from the Medieval Near East we add two-and-a-half more: Arabia, Ottomans, and arguably Georgia. Given the significance of the Near East, that's rather sparse, especially for the Ancient/Classical period.

Tech Osen, pokiehl and Uberfrog like this.
  2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Well interestingly we already have two WW2 leaders... just not the obvious ones. Wilhelmina's Radio Oranje and John Curtin's Citadel of Civilisation.

679x, Meluhhan, bbbt and 9 others like this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They could actually do a South Pacific or SEA Theater scenario.

Duuk, AvianBritish and RohirrimElf like this.
  4. Codeword Iroquois

Codeword Iroquois Warlord

Don't forget the Mississipians (difficult to find cities, though), Tlingit, Seminole, Inuit, Athabascan, Sioux, and Cherokee, and that's just North America- One could also put in the Olmec, Guarani, and Argentina.

679x, Inawordyes, WorldWarIV and 2 others like this.
  5. Bug Repellent

Bug Repellent Chieftain

I would love to see:
    - an OCC civilization that can be played on deity.
    - a Caribbean civ led by a pirate.
    - fix the diplomacy victory condition. It is far too static, takes far too many turns and thus it's boring.
    - a new economics victory condition. Make it so that you have to achieve a World Bank or World Stock Market. Or something like that.
    - make climate change go the other way too. I like the global warming system, but why not a global cooling system also?

acluewithout likes this.
  6. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

...Blackfoot, Wabanaki, Beothuk, Anishinaabe, Powhatan, Chinook, some version of the Salish, Haida, Navajo, Apache, Nazca, Chavin, Lakota, Cheyenne....

679x, Inawordyes, WorldWarIV and 2 others like this.
  7. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

i think the biggest problem for native civs would be to find someone willing and able to be a voice actor.

8. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

In addition to the Mayans who are a 'must have' in the game and the most obvious choice for civilization of the Americas at this point, we can have Zapotecs in Mesoamerica, but hardly not before or alongside the Mayans. We don't know enough about the Olmecs so we will hardly see them in the game. I would like to see another North American civilization, I don't have much knowledge there, but I think either Navajo or Apache would be good choices. Taínos would be my choice as a Caribbean civilization, and they have a notable female leader, Anacaona. In South America, they can go to Muisca or maybe a modern one like Argentina or Colombia, I think any of them would be a good choice. While I think Guarani, Nazca, Tubi and Moche would be good choices, I don't see them happening in civ6 or in a distant future, some of them are, unfortunately, very obscure and unknown for players outside of South America. Although Mapuche was a choice that surprised me.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  9. Zaarin

The Mississippians are very easy to find cities for. The trouble is finding good leaders since we only have historical records of the period of their decline. I'd put the Choctaw ahead of the Seminole or Cherokee, and IMO the Inuit aren't a viable civilization--because their political structure was based on bands of only a few dozen people at most, they don't have leaders or cities.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  10. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

A bunch of previous civ DLC were also published in pairs Alexander/Cyrus, Gitarja/Jayavaraman... Given that people are talking about less presumed DLC from the depots than a single civ per patch does this seem likely again? Maybe 4 sets of 2 if we were lucky? I can see some of the favoured suggestions from these forums working as pairs

Ethiopia+Some flavour of Italy for a rivals themed pack (runner seems to have a lot of people thinking Ethiopia)
    Maya+Portugal for a new world themed pack (maya seems like the most glaring omission thus far in most peopes' eyes)
    An Alt leader themed pack could add Byzantines and someone new (everyone wants byzantines)
    If plaid does refer to someone celtic then some duo of Gaul, Ireland, Iceni (for Boudicca) or Wales could make a 'breaking up the blob' pack?

11. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Today, I had a dream of waking up, opening CivFanatics and finding the new expansion pack thread in alerts. I do not know what this dream should mean :/

Inawordyes, Kjimmet, Xandinho and 4 others like this.
  12. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

That it was on your mind, nothing else.

13. Zaarin

I for one would rather see Byzantium left out entirely than shoehorned into an alternate leader for Rome. Was Byzantium a Medieval continuation of Rome? From a certain point of view. But it was also radically different. If Alexios I Komnenos can be an alternate leader for Rome, Frederick Barbarosa should be, too.

I can see where you're going with this, but the Maya and Portuguese never really interacted. :p Better idea: Maya + Assyria since a considerable number of Maya belong to the Syriac Orthodox Church. (Not joking.) ;)

I do hope we get Gaul. It feels strange not having a proper Celtic civ (and don't talk to me about Scotland; Robert the Bruce was a Norman :p ).

679x and Kimiimaro like this.
  14. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Let's not forget the Inuits (sort of) have a nation-state to this day, Kalaallit Nunaat, aka Greenland. Now, it's arguable how independent it is from Denmark, but so are Australia and Canada from UK tbh. That said, while it is very unique culturally, it's a small country with a small history of autonomy after its colonisation, so I still would be very reluctant to add it as a civ. But if you want something representing the Arctic peoples, I think a Kalaallit civilisation encompassing both the pre-colonial and post-colonial periods is the best way.

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

A Maya+Navajo pack would work better. Even though they never interacted with each other, both had relations with the Spanish and could be put in some New World Spanish scenario.

I'd much rather them being represented by unique graphics for tribal villages, like maybe put in igloos for tribal villages found in snow/tundra.

VermelhoRed and Flaxitux like this.
  16. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Really think people are just reading into the repo names way too much and all of them are just references to speed/the team working as fast as they can.

679x, Inawordyes, AntSou and 7 others like this.
  17. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

In a way it's a shame the Ottomans were in GS if they do go down the paired civs route as they would have been the best civ to put with Byzantium... Personally, I'd like a separate civ too but personally I suspect that if/when they show up it'll be as part or Rome. It would also be shortchanging Rome as they have no shortage of interesting potential leaders...

You're 100% correct, and also I kinda suspect that Brazil is this iteration's Portugal (which I'm sure would annoy a lot of people). But if I'm proven wrong I'd guess they might go with a 'generic new worldy' theme for a duo. Even if it meant the civs never actually interacted much.

Gaul would be an awesome addition but I think they'rethe least likely because
    A) Firaxis seem to be focussing on adding nations that give as many people as possible a 'home' civ. Which makes me think Ireland is the most likely celtic civ. And...
    B) Boudicca is as close to the face of civ's celts as you can get. Plus she hells improve the game's female leader representation. (Trouble is, what civ do you have her lead if not a celtic blob... Iceni aren't well known, Britons causes problems with England and Scotland existing, Welsh would be a big stretch.)

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I mean we don't have much else to base wild speculation on. If 0.5% of our thoughts here turn out right we're probably doing well...

19. AvianBritish

AvianBritish King

I would love to see a naval scenario; a "Pacific Showdown" scenario would be cool with islands, reefs, hurricanes and finaly proper use of aircraft!

Also a Golden age of Piracy or Colonal Americas scenaio would be good to show off ships best too!

20. Zaarin

Greenland is a dependency of Denmark, just like the Faroe Islands. That's kind of the opposite of a nation-state.

Igloos are a bit stereotyped. The Inuit actually dwelt in sod or turf houses. But yes, unique tribal villages would be preferable.

On the other hand, Iron Age Europe is currently completely unrepresented, and the Gauls are the most obvious choice for that. (The Celtiberians under Olyndicus wouldn't be impossible but a little obscure--unfortunately Viriathus was Lusitanian.) The Goths would be the next best choice but come much later.

I'll take no Celts over the return of the Queen of Stereotypes. In fact, I'll take a Pan-Celtic blob civ led by King Arthur over the return of tartan-clad, woad-tattooed, dreadlocked Bouddica. :p

I know you meant specifically in reference to Bouddica, but I wouldn't object to seeing a Welsh civ under someone like Rhodri ap Merfyn, Llywelyn Fawr, or Gruffydd ap Llywelyn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.