1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casworon

Casworon Prince

I agree that XCOM:CS likely pushes back any Civ announcement too the 28th at the earliest. However i am very surprised about the game being released only 10 days after the announcement.

Was there such a short time between announcement and release for XCOM2's last DLC? Would we expect such a short time between announcement and release for Civ's next content?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

It's certainly because this is just a low budget spin-off, so they don't get to do a fancy marketing campaign that last several weeks.

DWilson and Connor_CivFan like this.
  3. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Maori is one of the best civs in the game because of fun and unusual game design, not because it is a tribal ethnic group :) Yes, I do care about the Maya civ. But first of all, I really want to see some "out of the box" mechanics like the Mali one. Or Kongo. No matter if it's Cornwall, the Yotwingians or Chukchi.

WorldWarIV, 679x, Inawordyes and 8 others like this.
  4. Connor_CivFan

Connor_CivFan Chieftain

This!
    The new X-COM game is currently 8 pounds (Until 1st May)
    It is set in one city and (it looks like) we will be given set characters that we play and we won't have actually customization of characters.
    I honestly don't think They are gonna push back any announcement of civ DLC for a standalone game that they are clearly not going to do any serious marketing for this game.

acluewithout likes this.
  5. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

Do we have precedent for new core gameplay mechanics being added in a DLC for Civ6? I'm going down the list of DLCs and I'm not seeing anything that jogs my memory. I also don't remember if there were any updates around the same time that added anything to the main game.

I think Puppet Cities might make a comeback regardless of any potential content we get, but unless it's a proper full Expansion, I'm skeptical about getting anything more intensive than a minor to moderate rework of any given mechanic currently in the game.

acluewithout likes this.
  6. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

No but there's also no precedence for any DLC after the second expansion, and yet here we are. Just because they haven't done it before doesn't mean they won't do it.

7. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

Have you noticed that XC:CS at least in asia is distributed by 2K?

8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Instead of scenarios, some of them could come with map packs which I would enjoy more such as:
    Americas Map and TSL with Maya/North American tribe
    Mediterranean Map and TSL with some combination of Italy/Byzantium/Portugal?

LMT likes this.
  9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Maybe, clearly I'm not everybody but I never really liked premade map packs.

10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Absolutely agreed. I want mechanics that make for interesting gameplay above all. Gathering Storm did a pretty good job with this.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  11. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I think VI is pretty well set for maps but if we got any more I agree - I'd much prefer map scripts vs the premade ones.

shaglio likes this.
  12. Haphaz

Haphaz Warlord

I just loved the way Firaxis completely blindsided everyone with Chimera Squad. Alongside the XCOM 2: Tactical Legacy Pack, the possibility space for what this Civ update could be is *very* wide. Yay!

Haig and acluewithout like this.
  13. Codeword Iroquois

Codeword Iroquois Warlord

Map scripts are always fun. When one plays, say, the earth map, I've found I can pretty much always identify right off the bat where I am, as well as where the others are. When one plays with a map script, you have an idea of the terrain, or the landmasses one can expect, but not what it'll look like. It feels like an actual game of discovery rather than, say, hey, where is everyone?

Tech Osen and SammyKhalifa like this.
  14. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

I think the Maori and to a slightly lesser extent the Mali are well designed Civs in terms of balancing a unique gameplay gimmick with a viable strategy.

I think the Kongo's abilities are a bit too parasitic with other mechanics for their gimmicks to actually be considered "well designed", even if the effects they get are themselves powerful. I personally wouldn't want to see more civs that are both narrow in their application and locked out of major aspects of the game. Consider Civ5 Venice. The One City aspect and trade bonuses they do get are certainly interesting, but I don't consider them well designed due to how many constraints are placed upon them.

In the case of the Maori, they have an unconventional start which is offset with strong bonuses as compensation AND they have effects afterward that still manage to subvert several conventional city building. So you still get the advantages of having an over the top gimmick without being completely locked into that initial gameplay hook. For this reason, I would prefer unconventional gameplay use the Maori as something of a template rather than the Kongo

I just think it is highly unlikely that they would release large scale mechanics like that in a piecemeal DLC. It just doesn't seem economical to have cool new mechanics to work with, but only one maybe to civilizations that get to take advantage of that. They could decide to reworking existing civ options in order to make use of those mechanics, but if that is the case I don't see the point of making it part of the DLC versus a general update.

That's why I'm leaning so heavily on precedent because besides the possibility of this being a third round of content release, I haven't seen any indication that this will be much different from previous releases. I am basically trying to set up any expectations I have based on the lowest common denominator.

15. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Still nothing, I presume? I couldn't bear to look at this thread for a while and am just popping in.

16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Nothing official. You can review activity on steam in the separate thread, get a sense of how frequently builds are updating and such, make your own guesses....

17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Trust me, you'll know when there's concrete news. This thread will be locked and there will be at least one new topic on whatever hint/teaser has appeared.

Inawordyes, Zaarin, CPWimmer and 4 others like this.
  18. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

With Old World announced, if this expansion doesn't reconstitute the experience of playing a game and make each play more memorable and dynamic, it might be a problem for it

j51 likes this.
  19. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: This thread concerns Civ6 future update. Please do not derail it about Old World. There is a thread for that topic already.

20. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Maddening. Action on the Steam DB for Civ. News about a new XCOM game. Updates on HK. Updates on a tonne of Paradox Games. Updates on a new Historical 4X (OW).

But no actual news on Civ VI Expansion or DLC.

Just maddening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.