Future Update - Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently these are files to do with sound, either effects or music or spoken audio. No other scenario includes these kinds of files. I'm not sure if Red Death actually has unique sounds though. I've never played it.

I think it does, it seems to have imported somehow the lander sounds from Beyond Earth.

The other refers to the Shrinking Borders (I think), and few ambience sounds.

...and when we compare it to the only small cosmetic DLC from them in CIV6, the Scout Cat, the files are named "ScoutCat". DLC in the file-names, are preserved for 1 of the (so fare) 6 paid DLC's.
@Eagle Pursuit : Good find!! The release of Red Death, was also a bit strange; Why a new game-mode in a regular patch/bug fix/game-balancing update? It should defiantly be a separate DLC. And only for Multiplayer?? That sound to me, like the game mode was rushed to release.

Nah. The official story is that a developer created the new game mode in his spare time and everyone enjoyed playing it so much that they decided to get some new artwork done and release it to us for free. There's never been paid DLC after an expansion, so perhaps that's why they didn't monetize Red Death. That, or because they knew that it wouldn't sell very well and might annoy players that are waiting for more content for the core game. Or both.

Anyway, what happened to DLC 07?!

The genesis of the mode being a developer's idea and it being considered to be paid content aren't mutually exclusive.

The point I was trying to make is that these DLC apps Runner through the new unnamed one are actual DLC and not expansions, mini or otherwise. DLC08 is likely Plaid and may have been intended to have Red Death on it.

Basically, if all of those things are called DLCs too, then who the hell knows what is going on. We could have DLCs, free updates, an expansion, or any combination of the above. There was no clear precedent, so it is difficult to predict off of the current pattern.

Basically, if all of those things are called DLCs too, then who the hell knows what is going on. We could have DLCs, free updates, an expansion, or any combination of the above. There was no clear precedent, so it is difficult to predict off of the current pattern.

Expansions are DLC apps, but they are called xp# or expansion# in the game files. Only Vikings through Indonesia/Khmer are titled DLC0# in the game files, and they stop at DLC06. So this belies the existence of internal game files for an unreleased DLC07 and DLC08.

My personal pet theory about Red Death (and "the survey", and maybe even Chimera Squad) is that it's somehow connected to the "Third Franchise" and that Firaxis is testing the waters to see what non-mainstream historical appetites exist in Civ players. That or they are testing the waters to see if people would buy Civilization: Before Beyond Earth.

Maybe there is more to Red Death than we first thought?

Runner through the new unnamed one are actual DLC and not expansions, mini or otherwise.

That’s a bit disappointing if that’s right.

That said. We are still in Terra Incognita, so perhaps DLC could still mean new and improved mechanics, not just Civs and Scenarios. I find it really hard to believe we won’t get a Trebuchet at some point, at a bare minimum. (I mean, seriously. Seriously. Seriously - although, maybe a bit dated.)

Indeed, perhaps we’ve been in TI for longer than we realised. I always thought the extra units and mechanics with Indonesia / Khmer DLC was surprising. Red Death was totally out of left field. The last two patches were massive, and entirely reworked key mechanics (and actually the GS patch was a pretty big rework of grievances). FXS have already given away the usual stuff they stick in DLC, like maps.

I’m really over waiting for news. And confidence in a Third XP, mini or otherwise, is definitely up and down. But there’s still reason to think that whatever is coming will be pretty good and not just fluff. Guess we’ll see... soon...ish.

(Either way, good pick up on the Red Death file names.)

My personal pet theory about Red Death (and "the survey", and maybe even Chimera Squad) is that it's somehow connected to the "Third Franchise" and that Firaxis is testing the waters to see what non-mainstream historical appetites exist in Civ players. That or they are testing the waters to see if people would buy Civilization: Before Beyond Earth.

Maybe there is more to Red Death than we first thought?

There’s definitely a willingness to experiment. Not sure what it means beyond that.

Indeed, perhaps we’ve been in TI for longer than we realised. I always thought the extra units and mechanics with Indonesia / Khmer DLC was surprising.

The content you're referring to (the Guru unit, the new worship buildings, whatever else global changes that came around then) were not included with the DLC itself. They were part of the free Fall 2017 patch.

The content you're referring to (the Guru unit, the new worship buildings, whatever else global changes that came around then) were not included with the DLC itself. They were part of the free Fall 2017 patch.

Thanks. I did realise that but didn’t spell it out. The content came with the patch, but the patch was released at the same time as the DLC. They also included the new content in the DLC live-streams (unsurprisingly) and the new content integrated with the new Scenario.

It’s possible they do a similar thing with any new DLC. The DLC has Civs / Leaders / Scenarios / Wonders, and then we get a patch released at the same time that fixes bugs and rebalances, but also has some new mechanics and content. The 2019 survey certainly suggested that approach (albeit I think it only mentioned units, buildings, districts not actual “mechanics”).

Last edited:
I think it might be like the Smash Bros Ultimate Fighter Pass. 5 DLCs each with 2 new characters and extra content themed around them spread out over the course of this year and next year.

Thanks. I did realise that but didn’t spell it out. The content came with the patch, but the patch was released at the same time as the DLC. They also included the new content in the DLC live-streams (unsurprisingly) and the new content integrated with the new Scenario.

It’s possible they do a similar thing with any new DLC. The DLC has Civs / Leaders / Scenarios / Wonders, and then we get a patch released at the same time that fixes bugs and rebalances, but also has some new mechanics and content. The 2019 survey certainly suggested that approach (albeit I think it only mentioned units, buildings, districts not actual “mechanics”).

My point is that this isn't unprecedented though. Civ 5 had the same thing. Free patches for Civ 5 added new buildings, new resources, new Great Works...

My point is that this isn't unprecedented though. Civ 5 had the same thing. Free patches for Civ 5 added new buildings, new resources, new Great Works...

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thanks.

So, yeah, maybe you’re right. Maybe that’s all they do in terms of new content, plus whatever Civ / Scenario type DLC we get.

I’d be pretty disappointed with that, but it’s definitely one way they could be going.

It's obvious that we are in uncharted territory right now. I'm totally hoping that if it is smaller DLC and not an expansion that the DLC will include new/improved game mechanics.

I know lots of people are excited about getting new civs. But this part excites me the least. I'm much more interested in the base game getting improved with new mechanics or tightening of the mechanics already in the game than a new civ ability or two.

I've also been checking out the civ v vox populi community patch and it is truly impressive what they have achieved. My biggest hope is that civ vi will be opened up too such indepth modding one day. I hope for this even more than I hope for new and improved mechanics.

With it being so open to modding the potential is limitless. Depending only on modders and fans ambition. Rather than depending on producers, budgets, expected returns and the game being abandoned before it reaches it's true potential because of the whims and demands of the market

I am going to pass on whatever purchasable items they are working on for civ 6. I was as patient as I was willing to be and I now have two historical 4x games I plan on buying. Both distributors and their developers have satisfied my needs in terms of communication and the unknown has me intrigued/excited. I have not missed a civ release since IV. This will be the first since I discovered the series. All I needed was an announcement and a brief overlook of things to come.

I am going to pass on whatever purchasable items they are working on for civ 6. I was as patient as I was willing to be and I now have two historical 4x games I plan on buying. Both distributors and their developers have satisfied my needs in terms of communication and the unknown has me intrigued/excited. I have not missed a civ release since IV. This will be the first since I discovered the series. All I needed was an announcement and a brief overlook of things to come.

Your loss. Someone acknowledging on here "Yes we're working on something" wouldn't change anything. We already know something is coming.

They haven't announced the content or advertised it because they aren't ready to. It's not a personal insult to you or anyone else.

Old World was advertised mere weeks before its release next week.

Humankind's run-up may prove to be premature as everything is still presented with "prealpha" disclaimers. If the game doesn't come out until like Q4 the hype train may peter out.

Civ will be announced when they're close to completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom