1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

If we go for big personalities, go for Manuel I Komnenos. While not being as accomplished as Ioannes and Alexios and with the Byzantine Empire entering rather swift period of decline after his death and coming of regency for his son, he was still praised by not just the Byzantine historians, but also historians of many parts of medieval Europe, who aknowledged him to be the most powerful ruler in their time, calling him the most blessed emperor of Constantinople or even a divine emperor, commending his virtues and great energy, especially on the fields of diplomacy. He was also known to inspire great loyalty among his servants. Of course, one should always take that with a pinch of salt, but he definitely must have had a big charisma to inspire such comments on his person both home and abroad.

2. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

Yeah despite all their favoring there's still hellaton of classics that were in each game or many previous games. Why not try something new for India not counting the later alt leader? Something new for Mongolia? A game without Alexander the Great? Montezuma and Suleiman re-appear at least as names very often, possibly also as specific ones more often than not. They tried something new in Civ V but there's still Mansa Musa leading Mali, as per everyone's expectations. Or Shaka of the Zulu. Cleo also appeared decently. Pachacuti. Etc.

So you can ask why not try something new as much as you can ask why not have these return.

Inawordyes likes this.
  3. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

The Roman empire got temporarily divided multiple times throughout history before it became a permanent thing; and it even started while it was still a Republic.

100% :agree:

Byzantium can be its own thing, sure. Just as England was different somewhat to the UK, and to Wessex etc. If Civ is reaching a point where they can include hundreds of different Civs, then sure, lets represent Civilisations at significantly different points in their history. But if we're not there yet, no, lets have completely different Civs rather than 2 or 3 versions of the same one.

I agree in part; but keep in mind that Victoria was close to only a figure head, not just in the UK, but also for Canada, Australia, NZ, etc. They all achieved independence from the UK gradually; but it's different to suggest that she ever ruled them in the way that we see some other leaders having genuine power over different countries. For most of their existance the colonies had their own parliaments and made their own laws which were signed, not by the monarch, but by their local representative who almost never defied the local parliament and would almost never have consulted the monarch over any of them.

Again, Rome and Byzantium are as different as England and the UK. Or maybe Scotland and the UK seeing as the languages changed from Latin to Greek (though Scots is closer to middle English than modern English is, so... :think: Bygones) We see this represented by Elenor really well actually as she (like all early English/Norman nobility) speaks French not English. I love that they didn't shy away from that in their portrayal of her out of fear it may confuse some people!
    And all of Europe gradually went from being versions of pagan to Christian, so that's not unique to Rome/Byzantium either.

Byzantium is one of the better cases you can make of separating them out into their own Civ, but only from a simplistic POV. I'm fine if they do it, but I don't think it is a slam dunk that they should, especially not at the expanse of another Civ when we're going to get 50 odd.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    bbbt and RohirrimElf like this.
  4. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I like dual leaders and I think they add variety to the game. The game has enough space for two or three of those.

More Civs with unique governors would also be nice imo.

Sojrn420 and nzcamel like this.
  5. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Smokeb update.

6. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

wrong thread dude :lol:

RohirrimElf likes this.
  7. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Oh yeah, forgot there were two now :p

RohirrimElf likes this.
  8. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Try as different as the Britons and the English. The Byzantines may have called themselves Romans, but they were Hellenes through and through. Politically, it's fair to call Byzantines Roman successors (it's also fair to call the Roman Catholic Church or the Holy Roman Empire Roman successors, in my opinion), but culturally they were a completely different civilization.

9. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

So, is the general consensus that there is definitely some sort of DLC or xpac coming? I would love another xpac but would be quite happy with more civs/leaders too

RohirrimElf likes this.
  10. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Soooooo kind of like the very French Norman/Plantangenet era of Angevin England versus the more Germanic Hanover dynasty of the Victorian period. Or, to some extent, the Mauryan Empire versus the British Raj (which was also Victorian lol?).

Part of what I find fascinating about this cultural legacy thing VI seems to be angling is that many of the longer-lasting cultural identities actually aren't unified by culture, so much as a mutually agreed heritage. I think it's really cool to have leaders representing that, and I think Byzantium would be one of the best candidates for that illustration. It's also why I would prefer a second Chinese leader from a Mongolian or Manchurian dynasty as opposed to Wu Zetian, and why I really want Olga of Kiev for a Russian alternate leader.

VermelhoRed and nzcamel like this.
  11. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

I believe the consensus is that we're looking at multiple "things" due to the number of depots they're updating on a regular basis. We don't really know what the things are, though.

CPWimmer and Mr Jon of Cheam like this.
  12. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Something is brewing. But still terra incognita. Firaxis is silent as a tomb.

acluewithout and Mr Jon of Cheam like this.
  13. Kadu

Kadu Chieftain

Wish they would be silent as Montezuma.

AntSou, LMT and Neirai like this.
  14. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

2K is releasing info on their golf game next Wednesday. If that is in conjunction with the SGF, it could be the day they show off anything else they're doing.

acluewithout and RohirrimElf like this.
  15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

That's exactly where I am. If around 50 is the max what are the chances between Assyria/Babylon, Maya, Ethiopia, Portugal, Byzantium or the Iroquois returning?
    That's not even counting possible never before seen Civs like Vietnam, Italy or another Native American tribe?
    In this scenario Byzantium does make more sense making it a part of the "Rome" unless you want to combine Portugal and Spain. But I agree with the others wanting it separate that it wouldn't be ideal either but I could live with it.

nzcamel likes this.
  16. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Lets hope so. Or there would be another 2 weeks of silent treatment on social media. To let the PR department grind all the media attention out of the new golf game. Keeping silent on new civ 6 content.

acluewithout likes this.
  17. nzcamel

I don't think the latter at all. Sure, in it's later German-centric form it had elements of democracy; but that alone isn't enough to qualify it. Most every country in Europe (and a few other places) have tried to recreate a type of Rome and lay claim to its legacy from Russia to the fascist Axis countries; and I'd rate their claims on a par with the HRE.
    The former? If we're talking the Empire...I guess. Without any tolerance for other religious beliefs though, which isn't very Roman!

qadams likes this.
  18. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

Well the Byzantine Empire, from what I can tell was not exactly a beacon for tolerance and the Franks had been a part of Rome for quite a while Before western roman collapse. Roman religious tolerance was also more or less as long as you do what we say which is generally not different from other states, their treatment of jews and such was quite terrible at times.

Meluhhan and Zaarin like this.
  19. nzcamel

Okay, so choose the few things where Byzantium wasn't like Rome before the fall of the West; but that doesn't counter the overwhelming majority where they were; especially in their own minds (which may sound too loose, but it's like you telling people in China they aren't Chinese and are this other Civ because they speak a different language & adhere to a different religion to what was dominant in China a millennia earlier... Which would be plain nuts). There was no separation in continuity unlike with any other pretenders for a start. Well, yes Byzantium wasn't a beacon of tolerance - the Orthodox and Catholics were almost as bad as each other on that front. But I would never have compared a religion to a Civilisation myself; even if said religion pretty much did have huge sway over kingdoms and empires.
    I don't think the Franks were that much a part of Rome for that long; but yes, like every man and his dog they were keen to carry on the torch.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  20. Inawordyes

Inawordyes In a word: Illyria

Do you think this is where we’ll finally see Genoa and Isabelle? Between Isabelle being in the list of civ leaders in that office poster pre-release and the Genoa strings in the base game files, for both they obviously had a plan to include them at some point, and whatever work they did have done would still be lying around somewhere, potentially making them “easier” to develop since they’re not starting from complete scratch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.