Future Update - Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
May: Sennacherib (Assyria) & Ramesses II (Egypt Alt)
July: Lady Six Sky (Maya) & Geronimo (Apache)
September: Brennus (Celts) & Constantine the Great (Rome/Byzantium)
November: John I (Portugal) & (Haile Selassie) (Ethiopia)
January: Prithvi Narayan Shah (Nepal) + Sun Yat-sen (China) (one can hope)
I haven't been keeping up too well with the rumors about how distribution of this new content is going to come about, but if it is in this same kind of track where they release 2 civs and maybe a scenario each month, I think that they should stick with their prior theme and keep it in the same region of the world/civs that are related in some way. I also think that it would be great for some of these packs to include one new civ and one alternate leader for an existing civ. I.E., we could have a pack in which we get a new Byzantine leader along with an alt for Rome as those areas have historical ties to each other, or maybe something like an alt for America with a new leader for people groups somewhere like Hawai'i or the Philippines, places where the US took over. I think this would do a great job introducing more new leaders, which we of course want to see, as well as alt leaders without having them as a bit less exciting additions in major expansions. Price point could also be a bit cheaper than the current 2-leader packs to reflect this.

Are you guys really think alt leader DLC would monetize better than a new Civ one?
Or maybe a better question: which DLC would you buy first: DLC A with alt China and Germany leaders or DLC B with The Maya and Ethiopia?

Depends on the Civs. If there's a new expansion coming on top of DLC packs, then Civs like the Maya would likely not appear in the DLC.

If Mapuche weren't in the game, would an Alt for America or France or China sell better than a Mapuche Civ? I think that's very very likely.

@Eagle Pursuit

Could the 2kqa a to d have anything to do with vanilla plus three expansions? I can't see the date when each was first created.

2kqa_a and 2kqa_b haven't changed in 6 months, whereas c was last updated last month and d is updated all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys really think alt leader DLC would monetize better than a new Civ one?
Or maybe a better question: which DLC would you buy first: DLC A with alt China and Germany leaders or DLC B with The Maya and Ethiopia?
Apart from obvious fan favorites, it also comes down to the overall civ design. For instance, I might be more interested in a new leader for a civ which has an overall interesting game design than a new civ with a boring game design.

Okay, Firaxis.

I finally got an SSD and now with hopefully more reasonable loading times I will start a new game.

Perfect opportunity to drop something new. :crazyeye:

PS: Someone choose my settings, please.

Perfect opportunity to drop something new. :crazyeye:

PS: Someone choose my settings, please.

I'll jump in to suggest Deity game on Tiny Pangea (or Terra??) map, Online speed, just in case, to be on the safe-ish side, you know, if it is sooner than soon(tm).

Or else, if you want to guarantee an announcement tomorrow, livestream the day after tomorrow and release on Thursday, pick Huge Inland Sea or 7 Seas map, minus 2 AIs, Marathon speed, leave on only Time victory and solemnly vow to play that game until the end. Should do the trick, methinks ;)

I don't care about Wu Zetian or Ethiopia, but Mayas and Bismarch are both interesting and I would be equally happy to pay for both if the abilities looked fun.

I very much hope they've reworked how the World Congress works. It really doesn't feel right to cast votes in a "world" organisation in which you don't even know who half of the members are.

Depends on the Civs. If there's a new expansion coming on top of DLC packs, then Civs like the Maya would likely not appear in the DLC.

If Mapuche weren't in the game, would an Alt for America or France or China sell better than a Mapuche Civ? I think that's very very likely.

@Eagle Pursuit

Could the 2kqa a to d have anything to do with vanilla plus three expansions? I can't see the date when each was first created.

2kqa_a and 2kqa_b haven't changed in 6 months, whereas c was last updated last month and d is updated all the time.

All these branches have been around for a while, just with different names.

My current theory is that 2kqa_a and b were there to test the patch to existing content. Once they finalized that, they were dropped from testing. Then 2kqa_c was used for a while before 2kqa_d. I think it secretly contains all the new content for Runner through Unnamed.

You're asking the wrong people. Anyone who would visit a thread like this on a forum like this is a hardcore Civ addict who would gladly pay any amount of money for crumbs. We may not admit to it, but we all bought that Viking DLC.

You can't ask these people to get into the headspace of a normal consumer who makes purchasing decisions based on value per cost.

That's why I am interested in research data :D It's rather obvious a few people from civfanatics are not a market benchmark ;)
The only thing I wanted to know is what they prioritize IF they had to choose.
However, one thing we must keep in mind is Firaxis read this thread, and those "few people desire" can be read as a fan request. See Tamar and Georgia and be responsible with desires ;)

I don't know that it would monetize better, but I think it would monetize.

I can't say which DLC I would buy first as my buying history says the answer would be "yes".

A better question would be something like:

Which one would you buy:
Note: numbers made up and I'm Canadian so they may be repulsively high to everyone else.

$10 DLC containing Maya and Ethiopia
$12.50 Deluxe version of same DLC containing Maya and Ethiopia and alt China leader

$12.50 Deluxe version of same DLC containing Maya and Ethiopia and alt China leader

Note that this probably monetizes worse for Firaxis because the alt China leader probably costs nearly $5/sale to build tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom