G&H's Catalonia for Vox Populi

I'm no modder, so no idea if it'll help, and you may have already tried this, but you can look into how Unique City-States handles conditional removal of promotions.
Thanks for the advice. I just looked and it's event driven, not adaptable.
I could write a lua function in fact but I find it silly to write (probably less well) the same function as the dll.

Yes, with the VP bug, it's exactly that.
If/when the bug will be corrected, all units (except Almogaver) will lose the promotion by being upgraded to a Renaissance unit.
If you think the bonus is too low, they could be increased to 2% per tile of distance to the capital but of course, provided the bug is fixed.
After reading about the Almogavers on wiki, I find the unit is an exellent representation of the historic fighter.

As for the gran compania: losing it after medieval feels very historic. But from a gameplay perspective I would prefer to keep it for older units. This would be in line with many strong units in VP that go obsolete but carry over their promotions. This way you would have a core army of older units with gran compania, plus some almogavers you make in renaissance. And all the newer units don't get it.
As it is now, the promotion is weak early and strong later (if you go for domination and conquer further away). I feel Catalonia has no incentive to go for early wars. I always want to go as wide as possible to max gold from border growth and llotja yields. So I would only have defensive wars early if necessary.

Another way could be to give the promotion to all scout units and almogavers and make it permanent. Buff it to 2%. Thus way your starting scout could venture out safely and almogavers and their upgrades would pack a noticeable punch far away.

By the way, does Cataloniabhabe a plains start bias? I always got a plains start with them.

After reading about the Almogavers on wiki, I find the unit is an exellent representation of the historic fighter.
Thank you :)

As for the gran compania: losing it after medieval feels very historic. But from a gameplay perspective I would prefer to keep it for older units. This would be in line with many strong units in VP that go obsolete but carry over their promotions. This way you would have a core army of older units with gran compania, plus some almogavers you make in renaissance. And all the newer units don't get it.
Another way could be to give the promotion to all scout units and almogavers and make it permanent. Buff it to 2%. Thus way your starting scout could venture out safely and almogavers and their upgrades would pack a noticeable punch far away.
Initially, @Hinin proposed to only give this promotion to Naval and Recon units. At first, I prefer your first proposal which seems quite logical to me. If that turns out to be too powerful, maybe I'll go back to Hinin's original proposal.

By the way, does Cataloniabhabe a plains start bias? I always got a plains start with them.
The only start condition is :
1679593642196.png

So it's a twist of fate :jesus:.

I noticed a bug that the gran compania promo is being granted twice for pikemen purchased in medieval era. It seems to be a graphic bug as the bonus damage doesn't apply.

v.4 online:

"There are no straight lines or sharp corners in nature. Therefore, buildings must have no straight lines or sharp corners."
- Antoni Gaudí i Cornet​

VP3.4 Compatibility
  • Change base national population requirement for each part of The Sagrada Familia

Just a quick balance feedback: I played a few games with Catalonia as AI. They were always mid of the pack. Sometimes they managed to conquer a bit, but they never got huge so that the llotja could become too strong.

Just a quick balance feedback: I played a few games with Catalonia as AI. They were always mid of the pack. Sometimes they managed to conquer a bit, but they never got huge so that the llotja could become too strong.
Thank you to always give feedback, I noticed that too. In fact, Catalonia always takes Authority (have you noticed anything else?) which is probably not the right driver. I'm working on the bias and flavor to try to choose Tradition or Progress, just to see how it behaves. But so far without success :sad:.
I don't really understand the tendencies that make it go towards one policy or another despite everything I've read from Recursive.

Thank you to always give feedback, I noticed that too. In fact, Catalonia always takes Authority (have you noticed anything else?) which is probably not the right driver. I'm working on the bias and flavor to try to choose Tradition or Progress, just to see how it behaves. But so far without success :sad:.
I don't really understand the tendencies that make it go towards one policy or another despite everything I've read from Recursive.
Yeah, always authority in my games as well.

Top Bottom