Game Hints during save game Loading Process

JosEPh_II

TBS WarLord
@C2C Team,
Currently C2C has over 1400 Hints. Of these Revolution's Hints comprise more than 800+ of these 1400+ Hints.

I propose a reduction in the Revolution hints. Many are not game related to Rev usage. But are ads or opinion statements for using Revolution.

By cleaning out these ads and opinions we can reduce the Loading of extraneous Hints that do not educate the C2C player. And reduce a small fraction of the Mod's footprint/size.

If we can agree to this I would be willing to do the work of removing the unnecessary Hints.

@C2C Team,
Currently C2C has over 1400 Hints. Of these Revolution's Hints comprise more than 800+ of these 1400+ Hints.

I propose a reduction in the Revolution hints. Many are not game related to Rev usage. But are ads or opinion statements for using Revolution.

By cleaning out these ads and opinions we can reduce the Loading of extraneous Hints that do not educate the C2C player. And reduce a small fraction of the Mod's footprint/size.

If we can agree to this I would be willing to do the work of removing the unnecessary Hints.
I'm all for it, go kill those non-helpful hints:deadhorse:

Along the way, post a few of the questionable ones here so we can come up with a better worded or more clear or perhaps even an accurate one. Many of the hints are outdated and useless anyhow. And there's probably quite a few that should be in there that aren't. Definitely an area that needs improvement.

I'm all for it, go kill those non-helpful hints:deadhorse:
:lol::sniper:

Along the way, post a few of the questionable ones here so we can come up with a better worded or more clear or perhaps even an accurate one. Many of the hints are outdated and useless anyhow. And there's probably quite a few that should be in there that aren't. Definitely an area that needs improvement.
Roger wilco. :deal:

1st set for discussion:

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_18</Tag>
<English>*BUG Hint*: Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far.</English>
<French>*Conseils du BUG*: Parlez doucement et portez un gros bâton, et vous irez loin.</French>
<German>[BUG] Tipp... Anregungen und Hinweise zur "BUG Mod" können bei civfanatics.com im dortigen Forum hinterlassen werden.</German>
<Italian>*Suggerimento del BUG Team*: Poche parole e un grosso bastone ti porteranno lontano.</Italian>
<Spanish>*Consejo de BUG*: Habla en voz baja y lleva una gran porra, y llegarás lejos.</Spanish>
<Polish>*Podpowiedź do BUG'a*: Mów łagodnie, ale staraj się mieć pod ręką gruby kij, wtedy zajdziesz daleko.</Polish>
</TEXT>

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_20</Tag>
<English>*BUG Hint*: Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.</English>
<French>*Conseils du BUG*: Ne jamais s'opposer à un sicilien lorsque la mort vous attend au bout du tunnel.</French>
<German>[BUG] Tipp... Das Team der BUG Mod dankt Ihnen für Ihr Vertrauen und hofft, dass die Mod Ihnen genauso viel Spaß macht, wie wir bei ihrer Entwicklung hatten!</German>
<Italian>*Suggerimento del BUG Team*: "Mai mettersi contro un Siciliano quando si tratta di uccidere"</Italian>
<Spanish>*Consejo de BUG*: Nunca te opongas a un siciliano cuando se trate de matar.</Spanish>
<Polish>*Podpowiedź do BUG'a*: Nigdy nie stawiaj się Sycylijczykom, gdy śmierć stoi na drodze do nich.</Polish>
</TEXT>

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_21</Tag>
<English>*BUG Hint*: Be nice to your mother.</English>
<French>*Conseil du BUG*: Soit gentil avec ta mère.</French>
<German>[BUG] Tipp... Sei nett zu deiner Mutter.</German>
<Italian>*Suggerimento del BUG Team*: "Sii gentile con tua madre"</Italian>
<Spanish>*Consejo de BUG*: Pórtate bien con tu madre.</Spanish>
<Polish>*Podpowiedź do BUG'a*: Bądź miły dla swojej matki.</Polish>
</TEXT>

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_22</Tag>
<English>*BUG Hint*: The cake is a lie.</English>
<French>*Conseils du BUG*: Le Gâteau est un mensonge.</French>
<German>[BUG] Tipp... Der Kuchen ist eine Lüge.</German>
<Italian>*Suggerimento del BUG Team*: "The cake is a lie"</Italian>
<Spanish>*Consejo de BUG*: El pastel es un engaño.</Spanish>
<Polish>*BUG Hint*: Ciasto jest kłamstwem.</Polish>
</TEXT>

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_39</Tag>
<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: It is a common misconception that Revolutions fundamentally changes the basic game play. It does not. It merely adds another strategic layer upon the game, the management of your people...</English>
<French>*Conseil Mod Revolution*: C'est une erreur de penser que Revolutions change complètement le mécanisme du jeu. Ce n'est pas le cas. Il ajoute simplement un élément stratégique supplémentaire, la gestion de votre peuple...</French>
<Italian>*Suggerimento del MOD 'Revolutions'*: E' un equivoco diffuso che 'Revolutions' modifichi sostanzialmente i meccanismi di gioco. No. Aggiunge al gioco solo un altro livello strategico, la gestione del tuo popolo...</Italian>
<Spanish>*Consejo de Revolution*: Es un error frecuente pensar que Revolution cambia fundamentalmente la mecánica de juego. No lo hace. Tan solo añade una capa más a la estrategia del juego, la gestión de tu pueblo...</Spanish>
<Polish>*Podpowiedź do moda Rewolucje*: Błędnym mniemaniem jest to, iż Rewolucje zmieniają podstawowe zasady gry. Otóż nie zmieniają. Rewolucje zaledwie dodają kolejną strategiczną warstwę w grze - w zarządzaniu twoimi ludźmi...</Polish>
</TEXT>

This last one, impho, is a falsehood. Any strategic layer introduced into any game changes basic gameplay play.

You could remove the *BUG Hint*: prefix from all hints that are unrelated to the BUG options.

I agree about the last one, it should be revised.
Perhaps: "Revolutions adds another strategic layer to the game, the management of your people."

Only the last one tries to say something about the game... But we could have a couple of BS hints, like the others you presented just for fun.

This "Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line" means nothing to me... Is it a WW reference?

Last edited:
hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about movie quotes and general life anecdotes but I suppose there's a place for them as long as there's plenty of real content. We could have some improved ones, though I do like Be nice to your mother. "Call your Mother!" may be another good one along those lines. I might take 'and you will go far' off the first one. And yes, kill the 'bug hint' bit IMO.

I agree with you and Toffer on the last one.

To be honest, I like the "Be nice to your mother"... pretty sure it's not a reference like the "Cake is a lie" of Portal fame.
I could be wrong.
I agree with the assessment of the last one.

I don't mind the occasional irreverent hunt.

@C2C Team,
I'm still trying to find this file! Maybe raxo changed it to what I have found. Hints_Civ4GameText.xml. I don't know for certain because it's format is different than the one I'm looking for, if it still exists.

The one I just posted from, Hints_Civ4GameText.xml, is split into BUG, C2C, Rev, RoM and Interface. But it does contain many that I think are a waste of file space. I'm just trying to reduce non informational hints at Mod and Save game load.

I firmly believe that the C2C hints should have more prominence than the Rev Hints. And the Interface Hints need revisions and updates

This "Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line" means nothing to me... Is it a WW reference?
Movie, Princess Bride.

Perhaps: "Revolutions adds another strategic layer to the game, the management of your people."
I have to ask is this even true anymore with Rev in C2C? If it is, then I would go for your suggestion.

I have to ask is this even true anymore with Rev in C2C? If it is, then I would go for your suggestion.
It is true in a sense, there's a lot of rev code running in games with revolutions on. But it is not well maintained nor balanced at this point, so the layer is a bit wacky and not something C2C should advertise too much.

Actually, you are saying there are loads of rev hints in the game (800+), so this one can probably go away as it is not that informative as a hint.

You can delete a lot of rev hints that you don't feel can help the player understand rev as an option much.

I'm still trying to find this file! Maybe raxo changed it to what I have found. Hints_Civ4GameText.xml. I don't know for certain because it's format is different than the one I'm looking for, if it still exists.

The one I just posted from, Hints_Civ4GameText.xml, is split into BUG, C2C, Rev, RoM and Interface. But it does contain many that I think are a waste of file space. I'm just trying to reduce non informational hints at Mod and Save game load.
You can use notepad++ to find files.
On pedia press concepts, and then select hints.

In notepad++ press ctrl+f, then press "find in files tab".
"In find what" you can write Bug Hint or Revolutions Mod Hint.
In filters type *text*.xml so it searches in all text files.
And in Directory select patch to mod folder.

This file may contain most not if all hint texts: Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Text\Hints_CIV4GameText.xml
This file contain actual hint defines Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4Hints.xml

Its like buildingtexts and buildinginfos files.

Last edited:
You can use notepad++ to find files.
On pedia press concepts, and then select hints.

In notepad++ press ctrl+f, then press "find in files tab".
"In find what" you can write Bug Hint or Revolutions Mod Hint.
In filters type *text*.xml so it searches in all text files.
And in Directory select patch to mod folder.

This file may contain most not if all hints: Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Text\Hints_CIV4GameText.xml
Are you sure it will bring up the file that is used for the Hint pop up while the save or mod is loading?

And you 1st statement is about in game hints? I only am caring about the ones I said in the above sentence. Later it can be expanded to in game Hints.

One more thing to all, as these also contain the other language translations, then only making a change to the English would still cause the other languages to still have the old hint. And as such I would really only want to completely remove a hint. Less people to notify to correct that specific language translation.

Are you sure it will bring up the file that is used for the Hint pop up while the save or mod is loading?

And you 1st statement is about in game hints? I only am caring about the ones I said in the above sentence. Later it can be expanded to in game Hints.
Ingame and load/save hints should be same thing.

I wrote paths to hints - one containing hint texts and other hint tags.
Hint text file is pretty big.

I firmly believe that the C2C hints should have more prominence than the Rev Hints. And the Interface Hints need revisions and updates
Agreed. There are probably a lot of new hints we could do as well. I almost think we should each challenge ourselves to post a hint from our perspective once a week for consideration for inclusion until we have a nice body of new hints we can add about THIS mod. There's a LOT I can and should add about the combat mod obviously. Like this:

"C2C Combat Mod: Size Matters Uncut makes sure all units start at the same strength they have in the core C2C mod. If you like Size Matters, but don't like how some units are starting out stronger and others weaker, than the way they are without the option, Uncut was made for you. However, if you are not sure about your opinion in this regard, play without Uncut to see if you like the way it adjusts the roles of those units first. If you play Size Matters Uncut, you must also play with Size Matters, as it is just an adjustment option to how Size Matters operates. It's also perfectly valid to play without it entirely."

This file may contain most not if all hint texts: Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Text\Hints_CIV4GameText.xml
This file contain actual hint defines Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4Hints.xml

Its like buildingtexts and buildinginfos files.
Yeah I've looked thru both of these. And the 1st is from where I got the ones I posted.

Agreed. There are probably a lot of new hints we could do as well. I almost think we should each challenge ourselves to post a hint from our perspective once a week for consideration for inclusion until we have a nice body of new hints we can add about THIS mod. There's a LOT I can and should add about the combat mod obviously. Like this:

"C2C Combat Mod: Size Matters Uncut makes sure all units start at the same strength they have in the core C2C mod. If you like Size Matters, but don't like how some units are starting out stronger and others weaker, than the way they are without the option, Uncut was made for you. However, if you are not sure about your opinion in this regard, play without Uncut to see if you like the way it adjusts the roles of those units first. If you play Size Matters Uncut, you must also play with Size Matters, as it is just an adjustment option to how Size Matters operates. It's also perfectly valid to play without it entirely."

Adding more Hints I will leave up to the individual modder to do.

And the Interface Hints need revisions and updates
This one I will need Help with as I do not know all the short cuts from the Keyboard that we have now.

One more thing to all, as these also contain the other language translations, then only making a change to the English would still cause the other languages to still have the old hint. And as such I would really only want to completely remove a hint. Less people to notify to correct that specific language translation.
If there is a significant change in the English text for a hint then you should delete all its translations.

@raxo2222 ,
Is this Hint still correct?

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_28</Tag>
<English>Caveman2Cosmos: Scientific victory requires you to learn most Transhuman era technologies and then to build enough Paradise Gardens and Ascention Gate Great Wonder.</English>
<French>Caveman2Cosmos: La Victoire Scientifique nécessite la découverte de la plupart des technologies de l'ère Transhumaine, puis de construire suffisament de Jardins du Paradis et la Merveille Porte Ascensionnelle.</French>
<Spanish>Caveman2Cosmos: La victoria científica requiere que descubras la mayoría de tecnologías de la Época transhumana, y posteriormente construir suficientes Jardines del Paraíso y la Gran maravilla del Portal de la Ascensión.</Spanish>
<Polish>Caveman2Cosmos: Zwycięstwo naukowe wymaga do odkrycia większości technologi z Ery Transhumanizmu i wybudowania Rajskich Ogrodów i Bramy Oświecenia.</Polish>
</TEXT>
You could remove the *BUG Hint*: prefix from all hints that are unrelated to the BUG options.
And what should I put in their place then? TXT_KEY_C2C_HINT_X?

Example 1+2 German Translation is irrelevant , so could be delete...
Thanks

@raxo2222 ,
Is this Hint still correct?

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_28</Tag>
<English>Caveman2Cosmos: Scientific victory requires you to learn most Transhuman era technologies and then to build enough Paradise Gardens and Ascention Gate Great Wonder.</English>
<French>Caveman2Cosmos: La Victoire Scientifique nécessite la découverte de la plupart des technologies de l'ère Transhumaine, puis de construire suffisament de Jardins du Paradis et la Merveille Porte Ascensionnelle.</French>
<Spanish>Caveman2Cosmos: La victoria científica requiere que descubras la mayoría de tecnologías de la Época transhumana, y posteriormente construir suficientes Jardines del Paraíso y la Gran maravilla del Portal de la Ascensión.</Spanish>
<Polish>Caveman2Cosmos: Zwycięstwo naukowe wymaga do odkrycia większości technologi z Ery Transhumanizmu i wybudowania Rajskich Ogrodów i Bramy Oświecenia.</Polish>
</TEXT>
Thanks
Just change Transhuman era to Transcendent era here.
That is you need to research almost whole tech tree.

With Pepper's module its Paradise Planets - space buildings needed.
If you turn off Pepper's module then its Paradise Gardens - original Earth buildings.
These requirements are almost no requirements, since you will get those buildings long before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom