[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Winning the right to host "World Games" should allow that civ to build a stadium with bonuses comparable to the Macarena Diving Pool.

Winning the right to host "World Games" should allow that civ to build a stadium with bonuses comparable to the Macarena Diving Pool.
Is that in reference to the green pools of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games?

So... playing on the idea that most of our new Civs will have drawbacks, I have been thinking more about what Kristina could bring. Because she invited a lot of great people from other lands rather then "generating her own"; could this be retaliated to her ability?

Perhaps Kristina's leader ability (as opposed to Sweden's Civ ability) will mean that she cannot earn any Great Scientist, Great Engineer or Great Merchant points. When a declared friend of Kristina retires a Great Scientist, Great Engineer or Great Merchant, Sweden will then receive the same great person. Great people are 50% cheaper to purchase with Gold or Faith."

Sweden's ability could hark back to Civ5 and be something along the lines of: "Nobel Peace Prize" - Sweden receives +1 diplomatic favour per turn for each active deceleration of friendship. Declared friends of Sweden receives +2 diplomatic favour per turn.

Hungary: No penalty.
Moari: Cannot harvest, no great writers and starts on Ocean.*
Canada: Cannot declare surprise wars and cannot declare war on city states.
Inca: No penalty.
Mali: -1 production from mines and -30% production towards units and buildings.

Sweden: Cannot generate great people points?
Carthage: Settlers cannot move more then 1 tile away from coast or ocean?
Ottomans: ...I've got nothing; but I bet their bonus is related to their unique governor...

Maybe Eleanor has penalties too? But that would be quite hard to work into Two very different civs...

Sweden's ability could hark back to Civ5 and be something along the lines of: "Nobel Peace Prize" - Sweden receives +1 diplomatic favour per turn for each active deceleration of friendship. Declared friends of Sweden receives +2 diplomatic favour per turn.
We already have good reason to believe, based on several hints, that Sweden has a "Nobel Prize" ability that gives them a boost at WC competitions.

In recent stream I noticed new tech "Buttress" and its giving you dam and Hagia Sophia. I wish they also put Notre Dame there as wonder. I think that cathedral is perfect example of buttresses. I'm no architect but that's my 2 cents. So hyped for this expansion looks really good.

In recent stream I noticed new tech "Buttress" and its giving you dam and Hagia Sophia. I wish they also put Notre Dame there as wonder. I think that cathedral is perfect example of buttresses. I'm no architect but that's my 2 cents. So hyped for this expansion looks really good.

Was Notre Dame built during Eleanor's time?

Eleanor lived from the early 1120s to 1204 (queen consort of France from 1137 to 1152).

Notre Dame de Paris was built (for the most part) between 1160 and 1260 (so commenced shortly after she ceased to be queen consort).
Ah! That's perfect for GS's new "powerful abilities at a cost!"
You cannot build wonders when Eleanor is your leader! That will work perfectly with France's ability to build wonders quicker and more tourism from them.

Jokes aside; I am really looking forward to what Eleanor brings to England and France.

The lack of Notre Dame de Paris or some other Gothic cathedral is shameful. :cry:

Ah! That's perfect for GS's new "powerful abilities at a cost!"
You cannot build wonders when Eleanor is your leader! That will work perfectly with France's ability to build wonders quicker and more tourism from them.
:lol: Does she also get a gold malus for her son's profligate spending and an amenity malus for her other son's brutal taxation to make up for his brother's profligate spending? :mischief:

Ottomans: ...I've got nothing; but I bet their bonus is related to their unique governor...

Maybe Eleanor has penalties too? But that would be quite hard to work into Two very different civs...

Not settling except near the coast is actually as or more appropriate for the Greek colonization of the 7th-6th centuries BCE as for Carthage/Phoenicia. On the other hand, the Phoenicians, especially Carthage, were quite well-known for hiring mercenaries instead of relying on their own people. So, perhaps:
Phoenicia: Maintenance Costs for all land combat units are doubled. Any Carthagenian/Phoenician Great General can 'buy' any Barbarian or City State unit he/she is in contact with. These 'Mercenary units' have normal Maintenance Costs for their unit type.

We've had some discussion of an Ottoman 'negative' related to the fact that they almost never founded any cities, but were very good at taking them. So perhaps:
Ottomans: Cost of Settlers is Doubled and rises at twice the normal rate, but all newly-conquered cities (from a Civ, City State OR Free City) have + 4 Loyalty, and extra Loyalty from any garrison.
Add a Unique Bombard for the Ottoman UU, and you've got the Raging Turk of European Renaissance Perception. . .

The lack of Notre Dame de Paris or some other Gothic cathedral is shameful. :cry:

:lol: Does she also get a gold malus for her son's profligate spending and an amenity malus for her other son's brutal taxation to make up for his brother's profligate spending? :mischief:

She'll come with a "folk legends" ability, creating a great work that starts off with minimal culture/tourism but grows through the ages. And once you hit the modern era it creates films every decade.

Hungary: No penalty.
Moari: Cannot harvest, no great writers and starts on Ocean.*
Canada: Cannot declare surprise wars and cannot declare war on city states.
Inca: No penalty.
Mali: -1 production from mines and -30% production towards units and buildings.

Sweden- I thought the whole point of great people points were to bring them to the land based off of Pedro's ability so in my reasoning maybe she doesn't want to be involved in any type of alliance with other Civs or less diplomatic policy slots in government since she hated ruling and the responsibilities that came with it. That would balance out the possible boost that they might get from World Congress competitions.
Phoenicia- I could see them being the opposite of Mali, as in they are made for land trading, where maybe Phoenicia would get less gold for trade routes that weren't naval.
Ottomans- As others have said settlers costing more might be interesting and would be an incentive to conquer more cities.
Eleanor- not sure, I doubt they will give her anything negative.

How's this for a game changing feature for Sweden?

Nobel Prize: can't earn Great People yourself, but can grant great person points to other civs, gaining diplomatic favour when you do

How's this for a game changing feature for Sweden?

Nobel Prize: can't earn Great People yourself, but can grant great person points to other civs, gaining diplomatic favour when you do
But what about all the Swedes who have won? :p

Top Bottom