[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

I cannot agree enough, nor can I like this post as much as I want to. :lol::lol:
I also want maybe Renaissance/Industrial era settlers traveling in a pioneer wagon as well.
Just some things graphically in the game are good, but some things like camels and donkeys in the industrial era I would rather change.

Last edited:
Camels have such a limited range that choosing them as the universal trading unit is absurd. I wish we either had ethnic trading units (let Arabia, Persia, Egypt, and Nubia have the camels) or that trade caravans used horses/donkeys, which virtually everyone used and have a remarkable tolerance for climate.

Camels have such a limited range that choosing them as the universal trading unit is absurd. I wish we either had ethnic trading units (let Arabia, Persia, Egypt, and Nubia have the camels) or that trade caravans used horses/donkeys, which virtually everyone used and have a remarkable tolerance for climate.

Romans used camels un Europe. The US army experimented* with using them as pack animals in the Southwest. And there are still feral camels in Australia left over from when the Brits used them there.

*Experiment ended due to the mule lobby and the Civil War. Yes, Big Mule.

The US army experimented* with using them as pack animals in the Southwest.
As I understand it, we sold them to Canada and they died off in the Canadian Rockies. :p I don't think the experiment was very effective though.

Still the overall point stands: they don't do well outside the desert and certainly can't handle the cold, be it from elevation or latitude. Horses are much more versatile. I still wouldn't mind ethnic traders, though, and I think I made a post about it in Ideas & Suggestions at one point. (Beware Gandhi and his trade elephants. :mischief: ) Ah, here it is. It was before R&F, obviously.

Attachments

• 2FCD7F8A-C5CD-4245-A70B-46A2E6C917F9.jpeg
    2FCD7F8A-C5CD-4245-A70B-46A2E6C917F9.jpeg
    885.4 KB · Views: 162
As I understand it, we sold them to Canada and they died off in the Canadian Rockies. :p I don't think the experiment was very effective though.

Still the overall point stands: they don't do well outside the desert and certainly can't handle the cold, be it from elevation or latitude. Horses are much more versatile. I still wouldn't mind ethnic traders, though, and I think I made a post about it in Ideas & Suggestions at one point. (Beware Gandhi and his trade elephants. :mischief: ) Ah, here it is. It was before R&F, obviously.

Bactrian camels are better adapted to the cold - one of them was famously used as a pack animal by a Soviet rifle division in World War Two, much photographed because it stayed with the division all the way from Stalingrad to Berlin, summers and winters both.

That doesn't change your basic point, though, nor the other points made on this Thread:

More variety in the graphics.

It is ridiculous that a game supposedly with a Graphic User Interface makes such poor use of graphics to both inform and entertain the gamer.
Just in variations for Trade Routes, before the general adoption of trucks in the late 20th century (Atomic Era, really) we could have the following Graphic variants, some already mentioned:
Camel Caravans for Egypt, Nubia
Bactrian Camel Caravans for Georgia, Persia, Mongolia
Ox or mule pack animals for Greece, China, and almost everyone else, maybe some Cart variants for Classical Era
'Troika' sleighs drawn by horses in Medieval and later Russia
Multi-mule or horse teams and freight/conestoga wagons in Renaissance/Industrial Eras
Trains on Railroads:
Woodburning small steam locomotives and wooden cars in Industrial Era - trading thick plumes of black smoke out of 'spark-catcher' smokestacks
Heavy steam engines and metal cars in Modern Era
'Bullet' trains in Atomic Era

Come on, Firaxis, as I mentioned earlier, the train stuff is mostly already done in another Sid Meier game!

In the Vikings, Traders and Raiders scenario, the trading units, or at least those Denmark, Norway and Sweden use, are pulled by reindeer. I honestly find it to be quite a shame that this graphic is seemingly exclusively locked to that scenario, and not used for Norway, and maybe Russia, in the rest of the game.

I don’t necessarily mind the camel caravan as the de facto trading unit at least early game but I certainly wouldn't mind more early game variety. Now that you mention it I want llamas for the Inca.

I don’t necessarily mind the camel caravan as the de facto trading unit at least early game but I certainly wouldn't mind more early game variety. Now that you mention it I want llamas for the Inca.
I want kangaroos for Australia. :mischief: :lol:

Once again ... yes Ingame they upgrade to railroads but doses that mean literally their are zero roads in a civilization ? Think realistically
I have no idea what point you're trying to make. Someone asked if they might have a special locomotive graphic for the Trader when it is on railroad tiles, and I posted images showing that they currently don't. That's all.

Hey guys I found this on the Inca screenshots, any ideas on what it might be?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181218-093644.png
    Screenshot_20181218-093644.png
    544.9 KB · Views: 212
Top Bottom