1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gaul First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 22, 2020.

1. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I agree the production is to get the units out to get even more culture, you wreck a neighboor and keep on doing it.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  2. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Yes, they need to adjust his to agenda and add ‘unless you are playing as Gaul.’

Eyswein, Caprikel, Meluhhan and 8 others like this.
  3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

How sucky will they really be though? They still get for mountains, etc. if I'm reading it right. Surely changes the map and placement though, and those tend to me by favorite civs.

4. JJOne

JJOne Prince

Conquering them after classical will be painful. AI love encampments, gaul AI will also buid its IZ everywhere, so they get 3 bombardments per city.

Eyswein, nzcamel, Caprikel and 3 others like this.
  5. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

My overall thoughts are HERE, but I think Gaul is going to be my first pick this week, I just want to see how all those district changes play out in the game

Jkchart, Guandao, Socrates- and 3 others like this.
  6. agonistes

For Teddy, its not the tile giving the culture.

7. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

It is for Menelik. :mischief:

8. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Finally someone else noticed this too.

This civ is SNEAKY OP.

Production is king in Civ6, just like how Science was king in Civ5.

If you want to turtle and win a culture victory, they will be super strong for that. All that space to drop the best wonders and have much less restrictions than others.

They will be a solid domination civ too. Keep your units tight knit and close, use the mines for production. You will want commercial hubs on the river so you have to be a bit smart about your city placement, so you can afford a large army, but that is minor stuff.

This civ will likely have the highest production cities in game PLUS 1st or 2nd in culture output. That's nasty. I bet even the AI will be annoying to deal with like Inca usually is with their high production. I don't think I want to play against this civ with the Real Strategy Mod and on Deity. Would be a mess.

This civ is built for multiplayer. Some people will not like playing against them in multiplayer. A beginner might not take full advantage of things they excel at, but advanced players will create a sick carpet of troops that probably can force a fast culture victory before getting a dom victory. They might even be good at Science victories, I dunno yet.

A+ on the design. Very well done Firaxis.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Caprikel, Kjimmet, MrRadar and 3 others like this.
  9. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

1. Gestate replaces Warrior (like Aztecs. but with Pictist Warrior feel). and is melee choice rather than Anticavs (regardless that they're graphically represented with spears as well as swords). IS this reflects the Hollstadt swords (made of bronze) they wield?
    mmmm There gotta be something to do with Bronze Working and Warrior ability. When I was making a mod (First version) i've invented a unit called Slasher. Basically Civ4 Axemen but can also wield bronze swords (particularly the Khopesh). too bad this unit sorely ruined early game balance. as Barbarians got them first (They began with Bronze Working while everyone else had to research them. As modtest confirmed it. I have to remove this unit and never use it again.
    maybe until i've figured out what to do with this problem. with Barbarian got slasher first. it prevents expansion.
    https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Pictish_Warrior_(Civ5)

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Gallic_Swordsman_(Civ3)
    In Civ5. Gauls are Celts. (Were they the same people?) and have similiar units but replaced Spearmen. (and maybe stronger)
    2. They're represented as tribal society. They've to build every special districts in the same distance as Encampment and no adjacent bonuses earned. To compensate this they've got Oppidum as a replacement to Industrial Zone and armed like Encampment!!! this made them defensive oriented (they've got Apprenticeship VERY early. right after the Oppidum is completed.
    What is Oppidium anyway? Is it actually 'village' or what?

10. agonistes

From sea turtles, mate.

Common practice, really.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I love the synergies of Gaul's abilities, very elegantly designed.

What draw my attention most is "not districts next to the city center" - which will force players to design a more "rural", spread out, suburb-like (lol) landscape.

I personally don't like spread out districts - we only began to build universities and markets far away from a city center very recently due to constrains of transportation methods - but for Gaul it fits their mining-focused design, so I am fine with it.

Moreover, I assume this also means that we probably will get a super tall civ with compact cities that "all districts should be build next to city center". That will be fun.

Wielki Hegemon likes this.
  12. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

The monument gives +2 Culture, so you're getting half a monument from this ability while building scouts. As soon as you switch to settlers, builders, districts, wonders, or buildings, you get nothing. So, sure, it'll help you get to PP almost as fast as Rome. And if you're going domination and constantly building units, then I guess it's still useful after that. Otherwise, eh.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  13. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

I don't know if somebody has already mentioned it, but keep in mind that districts are keeping all their adjacency bonuses aside from Civ ability Hallstatt Culture.

This should not be a case of their unique Industrial Zone. I think atrubutes of their unique ability overwrites the rules of the basic one. Similar to the Maya Observatory.

14. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

:love::love::love: those abs

Ondolindë and kaspergm like this.
  15. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

"Celt" is a cultural/linguistic category referring to anyone that speaks a Celtic language or belongs to a culture derived from the Bronze Age Hallstatt and La Tène cultures. However, the Gaulish endonym was Celtoi (or Keltoi, if you prefer).

Oppidum is a Latin word meaning village or non-capital city, but here it refers to what the Gauls called a dunon, which was a hill fort that housed craftsmen and tradesmen as well as warriors.

nzcamel, conorbebe, Caprikel and 10 others like this.
  16. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

No districts next to city center can be a good thing as it saves room for things like Apadana, Eiffel Tower and Forbidden Palace which must go next to city center.

17. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

The oppidum comes earlier than the normal industrial zone, but do we know what tech unlocks it?

I think the oppidum unlock apprenticeship (which gives +1 production to mines) is going to be huge by itself, especially if that comes very early

18. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

Oppidium is Latin word which Romans called those villages within their domain. even in Italia. Why didn't Firaxis use the term 'Hill Fort', 'Caer' or Dunon instead?

19. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I liked the music, it reminded me of the ambient music in Grizzly Hills in WoW.

It's going to be interesting getting used to positioning zones given the restrictions, but they look like a bit of fun to play. I'll be having a look at them before Byzantine.
    Dark green + light blue default colours.

tedhebert and Wielki Hegemon like this.
  20. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

no not yet