[NFP] Gaul First Look

The unique IZ will be fun, but won’t set the world on fire. Overall, their Districts,will be a bit sucky. Like Reverse Hojo.

But those. Mmm-hmm. Yes siree. It’s not even the production. It’s the culture that will rock.

I agree the production is to get the units out to get even more culture, you wreck a neighboor and keep on doing it.

The unique IZ will be fun, but won’t set the world on fire. Overall, their Districts,will be a bit sucky. Like Reverse Hojo.

But those. Mmm-hmm. Yes siree. It’s not even the production. It’s the culture that will rock.
How sucky will they really be though? They still get for mountains, etc. if I'm reading it right. Surely changes the map and placement though, and those tend to me by favorite civs.

My overall thoughts are HERE, but I think Gaul is going to be my first pick this week, I just want to see how all those district changes play out in the game

Not really, there is a lot of exceptions at this rule.

To make it simple, all tiles improvements supposed to give Culture could give Tourism at flight, equal to Culture (or Faith/Food) from the tiles are:
  • All unique from civilizations: Château, Chemamull, Golf Course, Great Wall, Ice Hockey Ring, Kampung (through Food), Open-Air Museum, Pairidaeza, Rock-Hewn Church (through Faith), Sphinx, and Ziggurat.
  • All unique from city-states : Alcázar, Batey, Colossal Heads (through Faith) and Moai.
  • All unique from Governors: City Park.
  • Somehow*: Plantations** and Pastures.
That is it. Weird, isn't it? So, except if they change how Culture to Tourism at Flight work, those Mines will not give Tourism, sadly.

*: I guess this is due to the Pantheon that give Culture to Plantation and Pasture. But you do not need the Pantheon for it. For example, a Banana Plantation in rainforest with Chichen Itza will yield Tourism. Or Bull Moose Teddy with a Pasture near a Wood.

**: Some luxury ressources give 1 Culture (like Coffee). That lone Culture isn't going to give Tourism. So a 4 Culture Coffe Plantation will yield only 3 Tourism.

Do you feel my frustration with Bull Moose Teddy when all my territory was covered by Wood/Lumber Mill, with +2 Culture for almost 100% of them, and none of them was generating Tourism at Flight!

But, they could add a new exception with Mine with the update. Not all hopes are lost!

For Teddy, its not the tile giving the culture.

Lots of space for those wonders that must be built on flat land next to a city center.

Finally someone else noticed this too.

This civ is SNEAKY OP.

Production is king in Civ6, just like how Science was king in Civ5.

If you want to turtle and win a culture victory, they will be super strong for that. All that space to drop the best wonders and have much less restrictions than others.

They will be a solid domination civ too. Keep your units tight knit and close, use the mines for production. You will want commercial hubs on the river so you have to be a bit smart about your city placement, so you can afford a large army, but that is minor stuff.

This civ will likely have the highest production cities in game PLUS 1st or 2nd in culture output. That's nasty. I bet even the AI will be annoying to deal with like Inca usually is with their high production. I don't think I want to play against this civ with the Real Strategy Mod and on Deity. Would be a mess.

This civ is built for multiplayer. Some people will not like playing against them in multiplayer. A beginner might not take full advantage of things they excel at, but advanced players will create a sick carpet of troops that probably can force a fast culture victory before getting a dom victory. They might even be good at Science victories, I dunno yet.

A+ on the design. Very well done Firaxis.

Last edited:
1. Gestate replaces Warrior (like Aztecs. but with Pictist Warrior feel). and is melee choice rather than Anticavs (regardless that they're graphically represented with spears as well as swords). IS this reflects the Hollstadt swords (made of bronze) they wield?
mmmm There gotta be something to do with Bronze Working and Warrior ability. When I was making a mod (First version) i've invented a unit called Slasher. Basically Civ4 Axemen but can also wield bronze swords (particularly the Khopesh). too bad this unit sorely ruined early game balance. as Barbarians got them first (They began with Bronze Working while everyone else had to research them. As modtest confirmed it. I have to remove this unit and never use it again.
maybe until i've figured out what to do with this problem. with Barbarian got slasher first. it prevents expansion.
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Pictish_Warrior_(Civ5)

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Gallic_Swordsman_(Civ3)
In Civ5. Gauls are Celts. (Were they the same people?) and have similiar units but replaced Spearmen. (and maybe stronger)
2. They're represented as tribal society. They've to build every special districts in the same distance as Encampment and no adjacent bonuses earned. To compensate this they've got Oppidum as a replacement to Industrial Zone and armed like Encampment!!! this made them defensive oriented (they've got Apprenticeship VERY early. right after the Oppidum is completed.
What is Oppidium anyway? Is it actually 'village' or what?

Love the civ design. Love the leader design from the torc up. :p But, ugh, the rest of him looks like a generic fantasy barbarian. :cringe:

Yep, the Celts did tattoos using a copper oxide based ink; woad just burns the skin black. It was more of a Briton thing, though. Our friend Ambi is clearly painted, though, and I defy anyone to tell me where he got that vivid blue paint in a world where he probably doesn't even have access to indigo, never mind ultramarine. :p

She's usually pretty good at the pronunciations, but she was definitely way off on this video. She was pronouncing it like it was French...

From sea turtles, mate.

Common practice, really.

I love the synergies of Gaul's abilities, very elegantly designed.

What draw my attention most is "not districts next to the city center" - which will force players to design a more "rural", spread out, suburb-like (lol) landscape.

I personally don't like spread out districts - we only began to build universities and markets far away from a city center very recently due to constrains of transportation methods - but for Gaul it fits their mining-focused design, so I am fine with it.

Moreover, I assume this also means that we probably will get a super tall civ with compact cities that "all districts should be build next to city center". That will be fun.

When producing units, Gaul cities have a culture output equal to 20% of their production output AND they have an incentive to go high production. With proper policy cards (-50% production towards units) you get 40% of city production into culture. Early on my two scouts will be as good as Rome in culture: I finish both in about 12 turns and they give me: 2*30*0.2 = 12 culture for free. So a monument. Meaning I get policies faster: faster settlers, faster to political philosophy, etc.

The monument gives +2 Culture, so you're getting half a monument from this ability while building scouts. As soon as you switch to settlers, builders, districts, wonders, or buildings, you get nothing. So, sure, it'll help you get to PP almost as fast as Rome. And if you're going domination and constantly building units, then I guess it's still useful after that. Otherwise, eh.

I don't know if somebody has already mentioned it, but keep in mind that districts are keeping all their adjacency bonuses aside from Civ ability Hallstatt Culture.

This should not be a case of their unique Industrial Zone. I think atrubutes of their unique ability overwrites the rules of the basic one. Similar to the Maya Observatory.

Last edited:
In Civ5. Gauls are Celts. (Were they the same people?)
"Celt" is a cultural/linguistic category referring to anyone that speaks a Celtic language or belongs to a culture derived from the Bronze Age Hallstatt and La Tène cultures. However, the Gaulish endonym was Celtoi (or Keltoi, if you prefer).

What is Oppidium anyway? Is it actually 'village' or what?
Oppidum is a Latin word meaning village or non-capital city, but here it refers to what the Gauls called a dunon, which was a hill fort that housed craftsmen and tradesmen as well as warriors.

The oppidum comes earlier than the normal industrial zone, but do we know what tech unlocks it?

I think the oppidum unlock apprenticeship (which gives +1 production to mines) is going to be huge by itself, especially if that comes very early

"Celt" is a cultural/linguistic category referring to anyone that speaks a Celtic language or belongs to a culture derived from the Bronze Age Hallstatt and La Tène cultures. However, the Gaulish endonym was Celtoi (or Keltoi, if you prefer).

Oppidum is a Latin word meaning village or non-capital city, but here it refers to what the Gauls called a dunon, which was a hill fort that housed craftsmen and tradesmen as well as warriors.
Oppidium is Latin word which Romans called those villages within their domain. even in Italia. Why didn't Firaxis use the term 'Hill Fort', 'Caer' or Dunon instead?

I liked the music, it reminded me of the ambient music in Grizzly Hills in WoW.

It's going to be interesting getting used to positioning zones given the restrictions, but they look like a bit of fun to play. I'll be having a look at them before Byzantine.
Dark green + light blue default colours.

Last edited:
The oppidum comes earlier than the normal industrial zone, but do we know what tech unlocks it?

I think the oppidum unlock apprenticeship (which gives +1 production to mines) is going to be huge by itself, especially if that comes very early

no not yet

Top Bottom