[NFP] Gaul First Look

I really like this design! But wow the power creep is real. As has been mentioned though the inversion of district placement rules is really nice and the implications for how you want to build your empire... How much space is optimal to leave between cities for example is a cool change. I imagine Gaulish empires are going to be pretty aesthetically pleasing to look at with how spaced out they'll be and that's always nice.

Those culture bombs combined with early game strength is going ro make Gaul a civ you do not want to start next to!

Echoing some other commenters an all-shirtless dude game is almost a possibility. Good job firaxis.

Also, a warrior unique unit is an interesting choice. On one hand it has limited lifetime. On the other, it will be an interesting Golden Age boost to start with a unique unit.

Wait, does he start with a Gaesatae? A +10 additional strength warrior? That might be able to take a new neighboring city singlehandedly.
Only against units with a higher CS, so they'll not get the +10 against other Warriors

Wait, does he start with a Gaesatae? A +10 additional strength warrior? That might be able to take a new neighboring city singlehandedly.
It's only +10:c5strength: if the unit you face has higher base strength than you.
...Which, for a warrior, is every unit except scouts, slingers, and possibly archers (depending on if they go by :c5rangedstrength: ranged or :c5strength: melee for ranged units.)

It's basically a warrior that upgrades himself to a classical unit when other people start fielding them.
That said, going into swords as a 30:c5strength: vs 36:c5strength: isn't a great idea.

So my understanding from the video is that King of Eburones stacks with flanking bonuses (and should work on offense too) so tactical unit placement will be key.
An archer standing behind 2 Gaesatae will hit for +4:c5rangedstrength: more than normal, for example. An archer surrounded by a wall of woad warriors can hit for +12!!

I thought it would be +1:c5strength:. That would be strong but fair. +2 is just oppressive.

It seems (based on the description and the example in the video) to be for any combat unit, not just yours, so the enemy ones count! That's what make it maybe too strong for me. Also means you will need lot of strategic thinking when against them.

Great :sad: All mines culture bomb.

They better hurry up with that Civ picker as I don't want Gaul in my games. Which is too bad. I was looking forward to a Carthage/Rome/Gaul/Greece etc game.

It's "only" on unowned land, so they can not steal your territory which I think makes it ok.

Also, aren't there some districts that HAVE to be adj to city center ? What happens to those ?
It's qualified to only apply to specialty districts, so the Aqueduct escapes this.

Seems like they've decided to go one for one with ultra OP civs and more difficult ones with special play abilities. I like it, gives us different play options. First GC and Maya, now Byz and Gaul...

I'm thinking this will not be easy to play... not convinced the adj to mines will counterbalance the loss of adj from disctricts...

Also, aren't there some districts that HAVE to be adj to city center ? What happens to those ?

Only the aquaduct. Maybe they refuse to build such overtly Roman technology :mischief:

It's basically a warrior that upgrades himself to a classical unit when other people start fielding them.
That said, going into swords as a 30:c5strength: vs 36:c5strength: isn't a great idea.

but two of them next to each other, and you’re already talking 32 combat strength. Add two archers behind, and you’re par with the enemy swordsman.

That’s what I find OP - it’s just far too easy to make up combat differences. I genuinely think we have a new competitor for best early game domination Civ on our hands, here.

Wait, so enemy units and city-state units are also applied in the LUA?:

Spoiler Combat bonus :
gaul.png

I like it :D Civs breaking the rules and enforcing cityplaning are always welcome here.
Just one question. How does Governement District work for them? Can I build it adjacent to the speciality district and does it give them +1 adjacency bonus?
By the way Ambiorix background is great.
Now give us an achievement "Ils sont fous ces Romains" - kill Roman Legion with a Gaesatae UU :D

That leader modal is well .... hello there ...
I'm going to say it. Hottest leader except possibly Cyrus (but mostly because that model is just beautiful... still can't believe Alexander came out in the same DLC!)

I've updated the Features Thread with all the new info, please let me know if I have missed anything

Top Bottom