Gay discrimination at Vegas Wal-Mart?

Perhaps they didnt take it. Perhaps it was provided for them by the guy in question. Ever think of that? Its apparent bathsheeba666 surely didnt. :goodjob:

I wouldnt take a picture of myself in front of walmart.

I wouldnt take a picture of myself in front of walmart.

Uhm. You may want to relook at it. To me it looks like his image was photo-shopped so the Walmart was a backdrop...not that it was taken in front of a Walmart.

Take a closer look.

Yeah it looks like he gave his myspace profile pic to some newspaper and they put a Wal-Mart in the background. Maybe even took the contrast out to make it look gloomy and scary.

Yeah. Those dastardly propagandists who are ready to rationalize any act no matter how absurd or bigoted by using any possible method.:lol:

uhh this story is BS, I can't believe people are falling for it. Has it never occurred to anyone this guy is out for money? I'm calling BS because our local news hasn't even covered this story. While our paper is conservative, a couple of our news stations are fairly progressive and do cover gay topics. If this was legit they would cover it.

But walmart is a big huge corporation so they must be evil.

err wait a minute, am I defending walmart? I hate walmart because everything they sell is chinese crap (though Target is getting the same way).

Yeah. Those dastardly propagandists who are ready to rationalize any act no matter how absurd or bigoted by using any possible method.:lol:

I'm sorry if I believe the story is made up. The whole yellow vest thing just sounds way over the top and cliched that it just has to be made up. Maybe this guy did wear one but it could have easily been for legitimate reasons and his imagination/paranoia just got the best of him (Although I've never seen any Wal-Mart employee wearing one). I certainly could be wrong. If I am then I hope the people involved in the discrimination lose their jobs and the guy gets a lot of money.

I know Form doesn't like it. He will try put people who doubt this story into his little bigot label box, but that's the vibe I'm getting from the OP. It doesn't make me a bigot, a rationalist for bigots or an apologist for bigots. It just means I doubt the story.

I'm sorry if I believe the story is made up. The whole yellow vest thing just sounds way over the top and cliched that it just has to be made up. Maybe this guy did wear one but it could have easily been for legitimate reasons and his imagination/paranoia just got the best of him (Although I've never seen any Wal-Mart employee wearing one). I certainly could be wrong. If I am then I hope the people involved in the discrimination lose their jobs and the guy gets a lot of money.

I know Form doesn't like it. He will try put people who doubt this story into his little bigot label box, but that's the vibe I'm getting from the OP. It doesn't make me a bigot, a rationalist for bigots or an apologist for bigots. It just means I doubt the story.

Absolutely. I thought this too.

The link to Yellow Stars of David the jews were forced to wear is painfully obvious.

What's more is that all of the accusations of discrimination given in the OP are pretty much impossible to prove or disprove one way or another which in itself sounds terribly convenient.

They can be proven or disproven by testimony from him, his supervisors, and other employees.

Not positive about NV law but just asking someone about their orientation is a giant no-no for a supervisor... if I were that supervisor's supervisor I'd fire him.

They can be proven or disproven by testimony from him, his supervisors, and other employees.

In other words it will be his word against theirs. If his story is just a bunch BS then that's probably the best route for him to take. It's the supervisors and employees who are being accused so it's safe to assume that their testimony will be against his. Of course the rightful party would likely win in court because one story will make more sense than another story (not always the case) but Wal-Mart's testimony probably won't convince newspapers, blogs, radio and the company will take another huge hit to it's already piss poor reputation. This guy could be hoping that it doesn't come to all that and that Wal-Mart will offer him a nice settlement to shut up and go away.

Of course that's just pure speculation from me. I could certainly be wrong about it.

Pretty much.

edit: I mean "pretty much" as to it's a he said she said and it will likely settle one way or another before much dust gets kicked up... not that you're certainly wrong about it! :)

Au contraire I'm not putting "people who doubt this story into his little bigot label box" as you absurdly allege. I'm claiming that bigots will use any method possible to try to rationalize their own bigotry and attempt to dismiss any objections to it. That they frequently engage in exactly the sort of propaganda tactics that you apparently think this gay web site is using. :lol:

Not only that, I also stated I had problems with the credibility of the story, at least so far:

If nobody ever picks up this story I would tend to agree with you. But Mobboss isn't just making that point. He is insinuating it must not be true.

But either way, he either did file a complaint with the state of Nevada or he didn't. I'm sure the truth or falsity of that statement will eventually emerge.

Au contraire I'm not putting "people who doubt this story into his little bigot label box" as you absurdly allege. I'm claiming that bigots will use any method possible to try to rationalize their own bigotry and attempt to dismiss any objections to it. That they frequently engage in exactly the sort of propaganda tactics that you apparently think this gay web site is using. :lol:

Sorry If I misinterpreted you but yeah everyone who pushes an agenda is likely to use propaganda tactics. I think that Wal-Mart photo could be an example. It doesn't even matter really. Who cares? I shouldn't have even commented on it.

The Yellow Vest is part of uniform. It is to identify him as the "can i help" person, not a shelf stacker or something else.

What's Mexico, chopped liver?! :mad:

Uh, I'm sorry, I'm sure Mexico has lots of homophobes too...?

Anyhow, I just posted this quickly this morning when I saw it linked from another blog, but I will admit it hasn't popped up on any other legitimate news sites except for the advocate. It may be fabricated, it may be for financial gain, it may have just been a total misunderstanding, but I thought it would be good for general discussion on tolerance in the workplace...

Here is what is apparently the original story with even more details, as well as the photo:

http://advocate.com/News/News_Features/Rolling_Back_the_Discrimination/

Spoiler :
Rolling Back the Discrimination

An 18-year-old temporary worker in Las Vegas is taking on the world's biggest retailer after feeling "embarrassed and humiliated" during his two months of employment.

By Michelle Garcia

Back in March, 18-year-old Fernando Gallardo got a seasonal job at a Las Vegas Walmart, hoping to make a few extra dollars. But a few weeks into the job, Gallardo says, his immediate supervisor asked him "point-blank" in front of four of his coworkers if he was gay, and from then on alienated him from the 50 other associates at that location.

"I told her yes, and after that she was very rude and short with me," he tells The Advocate.

Gallardo says that soon after the incident, he was stripped of many of his daily duties and asked to wear a yellow vest and walk around the store. By mid May his supervisor and two other managers stopped talking to him completely.

"I was completely ignored and shunned," he wrote in a complaint to the Nevada Equal Rights Commission. "I had nothing to do all day but wander around the store wearing a yellow vest no one else had to wear, much like Jews had to wear a yellow star of David in Hitler's Germany."

Gallardo says he went to a human resources manager and filed a report, but to no avail. He also accuses the store's management of attempting to bribe some of his temporary coworkers with permanent positions, in exchange for saying he volunteered the information about his sexual orientation. However, Gallardo says he felt pressured into telling his boss that he is gay, by the pointed way in which she asked.

"It shouldn't even matter what my personal life is, but what was I supposed to say, other than the truth?" he says. "I didn't want to lie. This is who I am."

Nevada law forbids antigay discrimination, as does Walmart corporate policy. While none of the managers at the Las Vegas store contacted by The Advocate would comment on the incident, Walmart corporate spokesman Phil Keene says the company fosters "respect for individuals" as one of its core beliefs and a foundation of Walmart culture.

Keene also says that while the corporate headquarters has not yet been made aware of Gallardo's case and therefore cannot directly address the complaint, there may be an explanation behind the yellow vest.

"It is my understanding that the former associate was a temporary hire while the store is under remodeling," Keene wrote in an e-mail to The Advocate. "Between the 50 or so temporary associates in that store, there is a rotation through the position of 'May I Help You' associate. The several associates in this role wear a vest so customers can identify them and ask for help in finding products that may have been temporarily moved to a new spot."

The last straw came on May 17, a week shy of the day Gallardo quit his job. He says two managers were talking loudly enough that he could overhear. One, he says, told the other that Gallardo was "a little girl. All he is good for is walking around the store."

Gallardo is now unemployed after leaving his position, but he says he no longer dreads waking up to go to work in the morning. He has filed his complaint with the Nevada Equal Rights Commission, and if his claims are found to be true, Gallardo could be entitled to monetary compensation amounting to $114,000 and a position at another Walmart store. He is also requesting that the company hold mandatory annual cultural diversity training for all Walmart and Sam's Club supervisors and managers in Clark County, Nev., with a certified cultural diversity trainer.

"I just don't want this to happen to anyone else," he says.

"I was completely ignored and shunned," he wrote in a complaint to the rights commission. "I had nothing to do all day but wander around the store wearing a yellow vest no one else had to wear, much like Jews had to wear a yellow star of David in Hitler's Germany."

Eh... This is one of those situations where the facts matter most. Not people's opinions or beliefs. But I can tell right now that this individual is either milking it or that he's hyper-sensitive and doesn't want to believe what really happened.

Although it stinks, there's a whole lot to read in between the lines of the OP. Both sides could be guilty. One side could just be very bitter that he was fired / about to be fired for whatever reason. Wall-mart employees also have a very large tendency to hate wall mart superiors very quickly (for many good reasons). Or that one side the boss could be a moron and had vehement beliefs about something.. whatever.

Personally. I want to say it's BS but it's always possible and deserves looking into.

BTW - if Formaldehyde's article is true then the supervisor definitely broke Wall-mart policy and that should be grounds for termination.

Alternative post: He wasn't low enough with his prices!

The Yellow Vest is part of uniform. It is to identify him as the "can i help" person, not a shelf stacker or something else.
Yeah, we had the same thing (well, a blue vest and a sash, but same principle) in the store I worked- Asda, Walmart's British presence- when we remodelled. It's an international policy, not some sort of weird and unique punishment laid upon him by one rogue manager. It's not, in itself, significant.
All in all, I'm kind undecided on this. I'm willing to believe that the kid was mistreated, but I think he's kind of blowing it out of proportion. Perhaps he was transferred to the "Can I Help You" thing by a homophobic manager to avoid having to deal with him, but that's not quite the same thing as being declared "Store Leper", as he seems think. He may well have been ostracised, but a change in position would not necessarily be part of that- it's not as if that particular position are likely to have been viewed as outcasts by the rest of the staff. It may have been a coincidence; he was, after all, a temp, and they tend to get shunted around wherever they are needed to fill up numbers. It's complex, and, to be honest, I think we lack the details to make any judgement on this.

I must have missed the memo which said that yellow vest means "watch out, a fag!". :rolleyes:
EDIT: Basically, what Traitorfish said.

Top Bottom