Gay discrimination at Vegas Wal-Mart?

We have two Wal-Mart stores here in Red Deer. NOT ONCE has an employee walked up to me and asked, "May I help you?" (no matter what they were wearing).

Here, if you want an employee to help you, you either have to hunt one down yourself and corner them (almost literally!) before they can slip away, run after one you might see several aisles away (a polite, "Excuse me, could you help me find something, please?" often goes unheard, even when the person is right close by), or ask Customer Service to page somebody to come and help.

Sometimes I feel like I should go shopping with a net and safari helmet, just in case I need to talk to an employee... :mad:

(mind you, the Customer Service ladies at Wal-Mart North are pretty good ;))

But these "May I Help You?" associates are clearly imaginary. :shake:

Assuming the story is true for a second, the point isn't that, shock, horror, the man was ordered to wear a yellow vest, and he happened to be homosexual, and employers should never order employees to wear a yellow vest if they happen to be homosexual. It's that this man was supposedly (again, assuming the story is true) ordered to wear a yellow vest because he's homosexual, an order intended to produce some sort of humiliation. It's the motive behind it that's important, not whether or not yellow vests are normal in the workplace.

We have two Wal-Mart stores here in Red Deer. NOT ONCE has an employee walked up to me and asked, "May I help you?" (no matter what they were wearing).

Here, if you want an employee to help you, you either have to hunt one down yourself and corner them (almost literally!) before they can slip away, run after one you might see several aisles away (a polite, "Excuse me, could you help me find something, please?" often goes unheard, even when the person is right close by), or ask Customer Service to page somebody to come and help.

Sometimes I feel like I should go shopping with a net and safari helmet, just in case I need to talk to an employee... :mad:

(mind you, the Customer Service ladies at Wal-Mart North are pretty good ;))

But these "May I Help You?" associates are clearly imaginary. :shake:

Maybe Walmart employees are nicer in the USA? :dunno: Because I see these types all the time if I go to a Walmart here.

Assuming the story is true for a second, the point isn't that, shock, horror, the man was ordered to wear a yellow vest, and he happened to be homosexual, and employers should never order employees to wear a yellow vest if they happen to be homosexual. It's that this man was supposedly (again, assuming the story is true) ordered to wear a yellow vest because he's homosexual, an order intended to produce some sort of humiliation. It's the motive behind it that's important, not whether or not yellow vests are normal in the workplace.
The point is that as yellow vests are normal in the workplace, you can't really humiliate someone simply by having him wear it...

The point is that as yellow vests are normal in the workplace, you can't really humiliate someone simply by having him wear it...

You can if you make him wear the vest solely because he is homosexual, with it being designed as a form of punishment. If someone made all homosexual people wear baseball caps because they were homosexual, then it would still be discrimination, even though baseball caps are perfectly normal.

Top Bottom