1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gay Marriage legal throughout all of Mexico, says Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sumit1207, Aug 10, 2010.

1. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

So a state should be allowed not to recognize an inter-racial marriage?

2. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

Gay rights for the win! They're becoming less and less discriminated against everywhere!

3. Cull

Cull Big Daddy

Mexico is more humane than the US? Wow.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

How is it illegal? Is there any legal reason for not allowing this?
    Whatever the hell each individual state wants. And there's more than 50 of them…
    Better than Airstrip One. :p

5. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Ahh. States' rights mean that moral legislation can be federally-imposed, but not equality legislation. Gotcha.

6. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

IIRC there is a constitutional Amendment forbidding this.

7. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

So states should be allowed to ban same-sex marriage unless there's a constitutional ammendment is what you're saying?

8. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

Then we need a constitutional ammendment. I think someone on here should be president.

9. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

absolutely, then I'll get married and hire a bunch of pentecostals to speak in tongues at my wedding.

10. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I said states ARE allowed to ban same sex marriage unless there's an amendment. An amendment could make it legal.

However, the 10th is strongly against federal control, and therefore I think only the states should decide what to recognize.

As for inter-racial marriage, NO moral code has anything against that except Southern bigotry from the 1900's so that should be illegal not to recognize, however an amendment already took care of that and there's no reason to do otherwise.

I thank you, even though you are gay, for realizing it takes an amendment to do this. I respect your position. I still say "State's rights" and living in NC you'd probably get what I'm talking about. Washington should have no say in this.

I volunteer! And, what's your PC by the way?

11. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Not really. It only means there's nothing like DOMA in Mexico. The country as a whole is still way behind the US on this issue.

Holy crap, you really haven't a clue the text of the actual Constitution. You just have some notion of what you think the Constitution says.

"Legislating from the bench" is a nonsense phrase. By striking down unconstitutional laws, they are doing their job. The judiciary is the third, co-equal branch of the government that the founding fathers in their wisdom set up to protect the country from tyranny.

No, there's not. The US Supreme Court struck down all laws banning inter-racial marriage in 1967.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Domination 3000, you make 'gay' sound like the equivalent of 'stupid' or some other hampering/handicapping quality.

13. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

Why would me living in NC have anything to do with it?

14. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I didn't mean to make it sound stupid, I simply meant that since he is gay it would be in his best interests for the law to be passed anyway, anyhow. I appreciate that he still recognizes the legal framework.

Well, in Mexico I don't care what they do but the OP seems to want this for the US too.

Not true.

I agree, however if its not in the constitution they have no right to "Strike it down." For instance, Roe VS Wade is a classic example of legislating from the bench.

Hence what I said. I said there was an amendment forbidding states from forbidding interracial marriage. And I agree with that amendment, however, it still had to be done via amendment.

15. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

North Carolina is, overall, a conservative area strongly supporting state's rights. Therefore, I'm sure your familliar with a lot of people who agree with state's rights. In contrast, New York hates state's rights and most people there are against it.

You should look at the Civil War thread for more what I'm talking about. The Northerners think it was "All about slavery" while the Deep South still thinks it deserves to win. The North-South is still very culturally divided. Me? I'm somewhere in between, I am a huge supporter of state's rights however I do not think slavery ever should have been one of those rights.

16. emzie

You don't have a grasp of full faith and credit. You don't have a grasp of the job the judiciary is constitutionally assigned and....

You don't even know that there is no amendment to the Constitution of the United States dealing with inter-racial marriage, either for or against, or for that matter, an amendment dealing with any marriage at all.

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Depending on location, not as easy as it is for gay couple to just drive to Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire or Canada.

I have gay friends in the US, it's in my best interest for the law to be past anyway, anyhow.

18. Cull

Cull Big Daddy

I live in Ohio. What does that make me?

19. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

wow, i'm gay and live in NC too, well for the moment at least.

20. emzie

But because of DOMA, those marriages are not required to be recognized by any other state, nor the federal government. That's the difference between the US and Mexico in this case. Both countries have a federal system where gay marriage is legal in some areas. Mexico just doesn't have a way of keeping the marriages preformed in those areas from being recognized elsewhere.

Do you live north or south of I-70? :p