Gay Marriage legal throughout all of Mexico, says Supreme Court

To me the discussion meant a little about Mexico and a whole lot about how the US should do the same thing.

EDIT: And the 10th means requiring a state to recognize a marriage, any marriage, is illegal. So long as you do not arrest them for sodomity (Which I am not against being federally illegal.)

So a state should be allowed not to recognize an inter-racial marriage?

Well, that's called legislating from the bench;)

Assuming Mexico's system is the same as ours, that's illegal. I hope the US doesn't do the same thing.

Also, how easy is it for gay couples to just drive the Mexico City to marry?

I'm not necessarily against gay marriage being legal (I'd prefer it be called "Civil Union) however there is something called state's rights in the US, and passing this in the US will only cause more states to nullify federal laws like Missouri just did.
How is it illegal? Is there any legal reason for not allowing this?
Yes, we all know that "states' rights" mean whatever the hell you want at any given time.
Whatever the hell each individual state wants. And there's more than 50 of them…
Brave new world...
Better than Airstrip One. :p

Ahh. States' rights mean that moral legislation can be federally-imposed, but not equality legislation. Gotcha.

So states should be allowed to ban same-sex marriage unless there's a constitutional ammendment is what you're saying?

absolutely, then I'll get married and hire a bunch of pentecostals to speak in tongues at my wedding.

So states should be allowed to ban same-sex marriage unless there's a constitutional ammendment is what you're saying?

I said states ARE allowed to ban same sex marriage unless there's an amendment. An amendment could make it legal.

However, the 10th is strongly against federal control, and therefore I think only the states should decide what to recognize.

As for inter-racial marriage, NO moral code has anything against that except Southern bigotry from the 1900's so that should be illegal not to recognize, however an amendment already took care of that and there's no reason to do otherwise.

Then we need a constitutional ammendment.

I thank you, even though you are gay, for realizing it takes an amendment to do this. I respect your position. I still say "State's rights" and living in NC you'd probably get what I'm talking about. Washington should have no say in this.

I think someone on here should be president.

I volunteer! And, what's your PC by the way?

Eesh, Mexico?

Come on Mr. Kennedy, this is getting embarrassing.

Looks like Mexico's 1-upped the US. :mischief:

Not really. It only means there's nothing like DOMA in Mexico. The country as a whole is still way behind the US on this issue.

Well, that's called legislating from the bench;)

Assuming Mexico's system is the same as ours, that's illegal. I hope the US doesn't do the same thing.

I'm not necessarily against gay marriage being legal (I'd prefer it be called "Civil Union) however there is something called state's rights in the US, and passing this in the US will only cause more states to nullify federal laws like Missouri just did.

Holy crap, you really haven't a clue the text of the actual Constitution. You just have some notion of what you think the Constitution says.

"Legislating from the bench" is a nonsense phrase. By striking down unconstitutional laws, they are doing their job. The judiciary is the third, co-equal branch of the government that the founding fathers in their wisdom set up to protect the country from tyranny.

IIRC there is a constitutional Amendment forbidding this.

No, there's not. The US Supreme Court struck down all laws banning inter-racial marriage in 1967.

I thank you, even though you are gay, for realizing it takes an amendment to do this. I respect your position. I still say "State's rights" and living in NC you'd probably get what I'm talking about. Washington should have no say in this.
Domination 3000, you make 'gay' sound like the equivalent of 'stupid' or some other hampering/handicapping quality.

Why would me living in NC have anything to do with it?

Domination 3000, you make 'gay' sound like the equivalent of 'stupid' or some other hampering/handicapping quality.

I didn't mean to make it sound stupid, I simply meant that since he is gay it would be in his best interests for the law to be passed anyway, anyhow. I appreciate that he still recognizes the legal framework.

Not really. It only means there's nothing like DOMA in Mexico. The country as a whole is still way behind the US on this issue.

Well, in Mexico I don't care what they do but the OP seems to want this for the US too.

Holy crap, you really haven't a clue the text of the actual Constitution. You just have some notion of what you think the Constitution says.

Not true.

"Legislating from the bench" is a nonsense phrase. By striking down unconstitutional laws, they are doing their job. The judiciary is the third, co-equal branch of the government that the founding fathers in their wisdom set up to protect the country from tyranny.

I agree, however if its not in the constitution they have no right to "Strike it down." For instance, Roe VS Wade is a classic example of legislating from the bench.

No, there's not. The US Supreme Court struck down all laws banning inter-racial marriage in 1967.

Hence what I said. I said there was an amendment forbidding states from forbidding interracial marriage. And I agree with that amendment, however, it still had to be done via amendment.

Why would me living in NC have anything to do with it?

North Carolina is, overall, a conservative area strongly supporting state's rights. Therefore, I'm sure your familliar with a lot of people who agree with state's rights. In contrast, New York hates state's rights and most people there are against it.

You should look at the Civil War thread for more what I'm talking about. The Northerners think it was "All about slavery" while the Deep South still thinks it deserves to win. The North-South is still very culturally divided. Me? I'm somewhere in between, I am a huge supporter of state's rights however I do not think slavery ever should have been one of those rights.

Not true.

You don't have a grasp of full faith and credit. You don't have a grasp of the job the judiciary is constitutionally assigned and....

Hence what I said. I said there was an amendment forbidding states from forbidding interracial marriage. And I agree with that amendment, however, it still had to be done via amendment.

You don't even know that there is no amendment to the Constitution of the United States dealing with inter-racial marriage, either for or against, or for that matter, an amendment dealing with any marriage at all.

Depending on location, not as easy as it is for gay couple to just drive to Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire or Canada.

I didn't mean to make it sound stupid, I simply meant that since he is gay it would be in his best interests for the law to be passed anyway, anyhow. I appreciate that he still recognizes the legal framework.

I have gay friends in the US, it's in my best interest for the law to be past anyway, anyhow.

North Carolina is, overall, a conservative area strongly supporting state's rights. Therefore, I'm sure your familliar with a lot of people who agree with state's rights. In contrast, New York hates state's rights and most people there are against it.

You should look at the Civil War thread for more what I'm talking about. The Northerners think it was "All about slavery" while the Deep South still thinks it deserves to win. The North-South is still very culturally divided. Me? I'm somewhere in between, I am a huge supporter of state's rights however I do not think slavery ever should have been one of those rights.

I live in Ohio. What does that make me?

Depending on location, not as easy as it is for gay couple to just drive to Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire or Canada.

But because of DOMA, those marriages are not required to be recognized by any other state, nor the federal government. That's the difference between the US and Mexico in this case. Both countries have a federal system where gay marriage is legal in some areas. Mexico just doesn't have a way of keeping the marriages preformed in those areas from being recognized elsewhere.

I live in Ohio. What does that make me?

Do you live north or south of I-70? :p

Top Bottom