Gay Marriage legal throughout all of Mexico, says Supreme Court

sumit1207

Prince
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10932748
Mexico's supreme court has ruled that same-sex marriages in Mexico City must be recognised throughout the country.

The ruling does not mean other states have to allow gay weddings on their territory.

Two of the court's 11 judges voted against the measure, arguing that it would damage the harmony of the federal system.

Last week the supreme court ruled that the law allowing gay marriages in the capital was constitutional.

The court will now consider the legality of allowing adoption by gay couples.

Mexico City's local assembly passed the law in December, giving gay people full marital rights, including the right to adopt.

Hundreds of gay and lesbian couples have since been married.

However, the law drew strong opposition from the Catholic Church and conservative groups, including the governing PAN party, and federal prosecutors challenged it on constitutional grounds.
Cultural divide

Mexico City was one of the first Latin American capitals to fully recognise same-sex marriages.

The BBC's Inma Gil in Mexico City says gay relationships are openly accepted in the capital.

But she says the difference in attitude in the rest of the country is huge.

It is not clear how the court's ruling that the validity of same-sex marriages must be respected will be interpreted in states where they are not allowed.

So far in Latin America, only Uruguay and Argentina have legalised gay marriages nationwide.
I don't think this affects anyone here, but it adds to all of the recent victories.
This makes Mexico a pale blue color on this map, like New York, Dutch Antilles, and Israel: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/World_homosexuality_laws.svg
Plus, this means we're surrounded. :D

I guess the Supreme Court did more than 'say' its legal...

Well, well, well, it seems that there's yet another reason for the rednecks and Tea Party to build walls across the Mexican border. Coming up next: a mile-wide river/moat connecting both oceans.

Those people in the US shouldn't be worried. One less reason to go North.

Are Catholic countries now beating Protestant countries in this race?

Are Catholic countries now beating Protestant countries in this race?
Yes, definitely. I like the Catholic church more and more these days. I want to go back to the Vatican. I also like the Pope a lot now.

Well at least any stereotypes of Mexico's religiosity = the country being run by socially conservative laws are pretty much being debunked more and more... though as was explained to me once, Mexicans are personal conservatives rather than political ones: they may approve of gay marriage in legal terms, but that doesn't mean they'll approve of it within the social sphere.

Or, as I prefer to call it, conservatives who know they'll lose the battle and settle for the next best thing: letting the government run its social agenda while still maintaining their personal social values closer to home. Meaning you'll let your kid get his gay marriage, but you won't approve of his gay status.

Good for the Mexican courts! Here's to the American Courts similarly striking down our anti-gay legislation...

I almost wonder if the world is systematically RL trolling us, since they're all falling all over eachother to legalise gay marriage or at least advance the cause in some way.

Yes, definitely. I like the Catholic church more and more these days. I want to go back to the Vatican. I also like the Pope a lot now.

Ahem. From the article:
However, the law drew strong opposition from the Catholic Church and conservative groups...

I have a few friends who are going to be visibly angered by this :lol: Sucks for them.

I was not crediting the Church.

Not exactly. Far be it from me to get in an argument about 1-uppmanship. But to compare the 2 countries, same sex marriage is allowed in parts of the USA but not the whole which is the same thing in Mexico. There's this new ruling which says the marriages from Mexico DF are recognized throughout the country but what exactly that means seems a bit confusing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10932748

I don't think this affects anyone here, but it adds to all of the recent victories.
This makes Mexico a pale blue color on this map, like New York, Dutch Antilles, and Israel: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/World_homosexuality_laws.svg
Plus, this means we're surrounded. :D

I guess the Supreme Court did more than 'say' its legal...

Well, that's called legislating from the bench;)

Assuming Mexico's system is the same as ours, that's illegal. I hope the US doesn't do the same thing.

Also, how easy is it for gay couples to just drive the Mexico City to marry?

I'm not necessarily against gay marriage being legal (I'd prefer it be called "Civil Union) however there is something called state's rights in the US, and passing this in the US will only cause more states to nullify federal laws like Missouri just did.

Yes, we all know that "states' rights" mean whatever the hell you want at any given time.

Yes, we all know that "states' rights" mean whatever the hell you want at any given time.

To me the discussion meant a little about Mexico and a whole lot about how the US should do the same thing.

EDIT: And the 10th means requiring a state to recognize a marriage, any marriage, is illegal. So long as you do not arrest them for sodomity (Which I am not against being federally illegal.)

Good job America, Mexico is more humane than us.

Domination3000 said:
(Which I am not against being federally illegal.)
I really hope you're not saying what I think you're saying.

Top Bottom