General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

"When you're cool, that's the road to uncool?"

Was it?

Seems like a more direct way to balance democratic social weights vs financial social weights than privileging the rural rich, if we think we can do better than a 1-person 1-vote direct democracy.

It would be. A problem is then that somebody tweaks the equation. There has to be somebody doing that step. Like setting the prime rate. The best thing state borders have going for them is that they're political when they're set, but it usually requires widespread murder to move them, so they tend to stay put, becoming relatively apolitical political lines. In this context.

There are some richies out there, but yo're going to need to sell me on the generalization of rural rich of we're keeping with social outcomes. Or, if that doesn't work out on the measures for your argument(it won't), hell, pick a different metric of social welfare. Life expectancy? Medical access? Diet? Suicide? What do you want to use to demonstrate our "society's systemic overweighting of rural influence" such that representation and political power should be removed from them and set zero sum in the hands of thier political adversaries?

Last edited:
It would be. A problem is then that somebody tweaks the equation. There has to be somebody doing that step. Like setting the prime rate. The best thing state borders have going for them is that they're political when they're set, but it usually requires widespread murder to move them, so they tend to stay put, becoming relatively apolitical political lines. In this context.

There are some richies out there, but yo're going to need to sell me on the generalization of rural rich of we're keeping with social outcomes. Or, if that doesn't work out on the measures for your argument(it won't), hell, pick a different metric of social welfare. Life expectancy? Medical access? Diet? Suicide? What do you want to use to demonstrate our "society's systemic overweighting of rural influence" such that representation and political power should be removed from them and set zero sum in the hands of thier political adversaries?

You have the fact that most of the very wealthy in blue states work to elect the furthest right people they can in red states. The direct and indirect money being spent to influence elections that the individual directing the money cannot vote in is vast. Big money takes advantage of the rural electoral advantage for it's own interests. Big money does not support the policies that the blue state voters want.

Yes, that's the nature of resource extraction. Stinks. It doesn't mean they get served well, but their allotment of clout does give them at least some margin of control over selecting who screws them the way they like it least worst. And we're back to the cruelty of needing Somebody to Watch Over You. I don't think it's going to be best for them if it's the one that wants to take away the representation and keep it for themselves. Just not how it works. Though... gotta admit. I'm liking the last couple pages. We currently have arguments regarding the situation of political clout allocated to states via senators(and this is from different people, mind, so it's not an attack, just genuine amusement) is: (1) simply unfair - some people have too much relative to others, it needs to be equalized for the simplicity of abstraction (2) Ineffective - the allocation of senators does no concrete and measurable good to the citizens of the states they are allocated to, they should be reallocated away from them and to others, and (3) Actively harmful - citizens of smaller states actively harm themselves with their political representation, it should be reallocated to others for their own good.

Man, I love Ella. What a voice. It's good to remember what love feels like, every now and then.

Politics? Yeah, that aint it.

At least not that type of it.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the nature of resource extraction. Stinks. It doesn't mean they get served well, but their allotment of clout does give them at least some margin of control over selecting who screws them the way they like it least worst. And we're back to the cruelty of needing Somebody to Watch Over You. I don't think it's going to be best for them if it's the one that wants to take away the representation and keep it for themselves. Just not how it works. Though... gotta admit. I'm liking the last couple pages. We currently have arguments regarding the situation of political clout allocated to states via senators(and this is from different people, mind, so it's not an attack, just genuine amusement) is: (1) simply unfair - some people have too much relative to others, it needs to be equalized for the simplicity of abstraction (2) Ineffective - the allocation of senators does no concrete and measurable good to the citizens of the states they are allocated to, they should be reallocated away from them and to others, and (3) Actively harmful - citizens of smaller states actively harm themselves with their political representation, it should be reallocated to others for their own good.

Man, I love Ella. What a voice. It's good to remember what love feels like, every now and then.

Politics? Yeah, that aint it.

At least not that type of it.

It's not about the states. It's about class. When Republicans win, it's people who work for a living who lose the most. Doesn't matter where you are. The same Republicans who fight for lower wages also fight to cut veterans benefits, school lunches, rural healthcare, and far too many other things to list. Every time a Republican talks about entitlement reform, that's an attack on the rural working class. When veterans benefits are cut, how many of those veterans are rural working class? The number ain't small. So far they've always had to walk it back when one of them talks about cutting Social Security. Or just quietly drop it. But the subject never goes away. What happens to the rural working class if they do do it someday? The answer is that it'll be the worst thing to hit the rural working class since the Dust Bowl.

Now all of these things also harm the urban/suburban working class. But the urban/suburban working class generally isn't voting to make it happen. And the rural working class is. And that, ultimately, is what we do not understand about you.

We know that big money coastal elitists are hostile to our interests. And yet the rural working class call us the very thing that we are fighting against, and saying that since we are the thing that we are fighting against, we are hostile to their interests.

Which is one hell of a lot of talking past one another, rather than to one another.

We not only do not vote for those who harm us, we do not vote for those who harm you. You not only do vote for those who harm us, you vote for those who harm you.

While I don't know anything in particular about farm policy, I do know some things about federal policy as a whole. The Republicans have held the balance of power in the US government since Reagan took office. And I can't in all that time think of a single policy by the US government that harmed rural America that Republicans did not push to make happen. There's probably a few. But the budget crisis, and all the services cuts and other cuts resulting from them, that's all Republicans. The Great Financial Crisis was the Republicans. The Great Recession was the Republicans. The opioid crisis was the Republicans.

Now some things just happen, not really under the control of anyone, and not with any specific acts. Things evolve. But the intentional harm being done, that's being done by Republicans. And it is being done because that is what the big money coastal elites want done. And it is being done equally to the people who work for a living, no matter where they are.

The fastest way to change the toxic US election process is cap political campaign spending, prevent campaign donations --> spending from crossing state lines. Do away with PACs and their variations.

The fastest way to change the toxic US election process is cap political campaign spending, prevent campaign donations --> spending from crossing state lines. Do away with PACs and their variations.
I forget who it was, but some political analyst I listen to or read said that Citizens United could be one of the most consequential SCOTUS decisions in history.

SCOTUS ended that in some of the earlier landmark decisions of the Roberts Court. Congress has essentially no latitude to make laws in that regard, until the Court composition changes by at least 3.

But it's not just the election finance laws and Citizen's United. There's also the softer big money in politics. Many think tanks like Heritage Foundation, CATO, American Enterprise Institute, there are 100s of them, exist for the purpose of building the rhetorical case for persuading people that the Right is right. Talk radio is mainly funded to put out right wing talking points, and to stir people up. The press has mostly been taken over by the right. All those local and area newspapers bought up, ruined, or put out of business, all that serves to deprive the populace of accurate information. Fox News, Sinclair Broadcasting, iHeart Radio, all these media conglomerates were put together to control the narrative for the Right. All the major networks are owned and run by for profit companies. Independence in media has been bought out. And that control of what people hear is a big influence on what they believe.

Top Bottom