General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

Samson

Deity
Another thread from discussing general politics in any country of the world. The previous threads are here and here.

Trump hammers Cruz as senator holds back endorsement: 'He shouldn't even exist'​

Former President Donald Trump is reportedly upset at Republican politicians who have held out their endorsement in the 2024 presidential race, including former 2016 primary rival Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

Trump has ranted privately about Cruz withholding his endorsement for the GOP nomination and said that Cruz "shouldn't even exist," according to a report from the New York Times.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/trump-hammers-cruz-holds-back-endorsement

It has been a little fascinating to watch Republican politicians absorb constant abuse from Trump and still be unwilling to openly oppose him.

A transgender candidate in Ohio was disqualified from the state ballot for omitting her former name​

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Despite receiving enough signatures to appear on the ballot, a transgender woman has been disqualified from an Ohio House race because she omitted her previous name, raising concern that other transgender candidates nationwide may face similar barriers.

Vanessa Joy of was one of four transgender candidates running for state office in Ohio, largely in response to proposed restrictions of the rights of LGBTQ+ people. She was running as a Democrat in House District 50 — a heavily Republican district in Stark County, Ohio — against GOP candidate Matthew Kishman. Joy legally changed her name and birth certificate in 2022, which she says she provided to the Stark County Board of Elections for the March 19 primary race.

But as Joy found out Tuesday, a little-known 1990s state law says that a candidate must provide any name changes within the last five years to qualify for the ballot. Since the law is not currently listed on the candidate requirement guidelines on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, Joy didn’t know it existed.
https://apnews.com/article/transgen...hio-election-a7b7b5837e21ac9d6b12c1ec54598157

One of the numerous things that caught my attention about this was the current debate about the Court in CO and the Sec of State in ME disqualifying Trump based on the 14th Amendment Section 3. One of the defenses that keeps getting raised in favor of Trump is that he wasn't criminally convicted of the offense referenced in the disqualification. This disqualification of the transgender candidate in Ohio does not appear to be supported by any criminal conviction and so appears to be an example of the right of a state to disqualify a candidate without any conviction.

A transgender candidate in Ohio was disqualified from the state ballot for omitting her former name​

https://apnews.com/article/transgen...hio-election-a7b7b5837e21ac9d6b12c1ec54598157

One of the numerous things that caught my attention about this was the current debate about the Court in CO and the Sec of State in ME disqualifying Trump based on the 14th Amendment Section 3. One of the defenses that keeps getting raised in favor of Trump is that he wasn't criminally convicted of the offense referenced in the disqualification. This disqualification of the transgender candidate in Ohio does not appear to be supported by any criminal conviction and so appears to be an example of the right of a state to disqualify a candidate without any conviction.
Nope. Ohio's ruling is pure bigotry. The 14th doesn't include a required criminal conviction prior to be disqualified.

Before Donald Trump came along and demonized them all, the RNC had done a soul-searching and resolved to court them on precisely that basis.

But then Donald Trump came along and demonized them all.
Like I keep saying, he's basically a Democrat.

Funny meme alert FB_IMG_1704480292838.jpg

Yep, that's why Democrats pretty much all hate him and Republicans are gonna nominate him to be President. Because he's actually a Democrat.
At this point, its not just that Trump is a Republican, Trump is the Republican, as in the Republican party belongs to Trump, he is the leader, and the platform/values/ideology of the party are completely driven and dictated by him. If you are not a Trump Republican you are outside the mainstream, a rebel, RINO, whatever you want to call it. Trump is the insider. Trump and his supporters are the establishment. If you are a Republican who opposes Trump you are on the radical fringe of the party.

There aren't "MAGA-Republicans", really... there are Republicans and Never-Trumpers/Anti-MAGA'ers. "Republican" and "MAGA" are the same thing nowadays. If you aren't MAGA, you're RINO. Why oppose Trump but still claim to be a Republican (other than for social reasons)? It's pointless. Just c'mon over and join the Democrats, we love you, we accept you, the water's fine...:D

Last edited:

I think it's an example of how both sides kind of use the law to further their own goals. It's not really about the process, it's about the end result. The Left wants a President who's not a racist, misogynist, protectionist, nationalist, authoritarian, lazy, self-dealing, dimwitted, narcissistic, fraudulent, pathological liar. The Right wants... uh... um... I don't know what the Right wants. I mean, it seems like what they want is razor wire and women dying of treatable complications from pregnancy and trans people to just die and a Bible-quoting Fuhrer instead of a President. But that'd be insane, not to mention really un-American, they can't actually want any of that. I must be missing something.

a Bible-quoting Fuhrer instead of a President
You had me up to here. The person who they want as President cannot in fact quote the Bible.

If you are a Republican who opposes Trump you are on the radical fringe of the party.

Increasingly, if you oppose Trump you're just a Democrat.

I think it's an example of how both sides kind of use the law to further their own goals. It's not really about the process, it's about the end result. The Left wants a President who's not a racist, misogynist, protectionist, nationalist, authoritarian, lazy, self-dealing, dimwitted, narcissistic, fraudulent, pathological liar

Categorically disagree. The rulings taking Trump off the ballot are in no sense issuing from "the left."

The Right wants... uh... um... I don't know what the Right wants.
That's easy. Republicans want Trump. It's that simple. Republicans who don't want Trump are just unnecessarily punching themselves in the nuts/boobs repeatedly for no damn reason. Its over. Switch parties, form a third party... or give up the ghost and hop on the Trump train.
The person who they want as President cannot in fact quote the Bible.
And it doesn't matter in the slightest, because they don't want "The Bible", they want Trump. If you are claiming to be a Republican, you need to get on Trump's page or get the hell out of the way.

Increasingly, if you oppose Trump you're just a Democrat.

Categorically disagree. The rulings taking Trump off the ballot are in no sense issuing from "the left."
Disagree. Right now, any American who wants a President who's not a racist, misogynist, protectionist, nationalist, authoritarian, lazy, self-dealing, dimwitted, narcissistic, fraudulent, pathological liar is on the Left.

And it doesn't matter in the slightest, because they don't want "The Bible", they want Trump.
I've toyed with the idea of writing a "Gospel according to Trump."

Top Bottom