• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one can draw a pretty straight line from Cold War anti-communism to the fact that Donald Trump is now poised to end liberal democracy in the US.

Also, speaking of "realism", China is probably too smart to accept the strategic costs of allying with Israel.

It's not about body count, it's about values, values like "mass murder is bad"

Or is it about something else? Maybe it's about the self-interest of being inside the circle of "civilization" where the liberal West has decided mass-murder is bad. If it's about that, I confess my own sympathies lie with the people outside the circle, who just sort of get mass-murdered in the passive voice, very regrettably but inevitably.
Ah those agent-less angel others. If only we had given them agency. But alas.

How about values like, If you come to power as theocrats in an election and then destroy the opposition violently and never hold elections again, you're bad guys.

You got schlaufuchs saying the English monarchists should get killed for being monarchists and some of the police violence of protestors during their forced mourning is evidence.

Literally every regime surrounding Israel, starting with Gaza, is that, where every day for 100 years is the mourning period, but worse. Some much worse. Remember, those people are real people with agency who live in the active voice. They aren't passive recipients of American power living outside the circle of wrongitude.

Like you celebrate the killers of slavers. How far does that go before it's too far? "It's never too far!"?

Ah those agent-less angel others. If only we had given them agency. But alas.

Are you familiar with the Paris Peace Conference? It was where the Allies hammered out the settlement for the postwar (that's World War One) world. Like, the Allies were like "yeah we fought for self-determination and freedom" and when, among others, the Arabs tried to get a seat at the table the victorious powers were like "oh sorry you thought we meant you?? Lmfao"

These abstract arguments about "agency" are just sophistry. Yeah, the Arabs didn't have "agency" during the key period here because the conquerors of the Ottoman Empire literally took over their lands on the theory that the Arabs were insufficiently civilized to have their own independent state(s).

Literally every regime surrounding Israel, starting with Gaza, is that, where every day for 100 years is the mourning period, but worse. Some much worse. Remember, those people are real people with agency who live in the active voice. They aren't passive recipients of American power living outside the circle of wrongitude.

And why do you think that is? Because the Arabs are too uncivilized to govern themselves? They don't have the democracy gene that the white race clearly posesses?

Like, backing up, this applies to the Soviet Union too. Why did the Russian Revolution even happen? Because the Bolsheviks were just evil and hated puppies and the laughter of children?

Hamas exists only because of Israel. Palestine had liberal nationalists, and they got fudged by the betrayal of the Paris Peace Conference which put them under a British Mandate, and then got really fudged by the UN partition plan of 1947 in which the Arabs didn't even get a vote, and now more than half their country (the half with virtually all the access to the sea and most of the fertile land) was to be given to a bunch of insane terrorists who had been massacring civilians and bombing British garrisons* because their Imaginary Friend promised them the land 3,000 years ago.

So much for Palestinian agency. Hamas exists because all the approaches that might have been palatable to Western liberals were tried, and failed.

This is all about imperialism. The Zionists were allowed to create "Israel" because the British and Americans figured it would be useful to have a minority which would be locked into a deadly conflict with its neighbors and therefore beholden to outside aid in a key strategic region (which gets back into the wider reason for the policy of totally preventing any kind of actual liberal democracy in the Middle East, which is that voting publics in these places might not want to allow Western oil companies to capture virtually all the value from those sweet crude reserves).

Ultimately all of this violence in the Middle East is being done so we can drive gas-burning cars without paying the real costs of doing so and pretend that makes us free.

*not that I have anything against bombing British garrisons in general, you understand.

Lexicus retreating to the history lessons he knows I know to strawman my position he knows I don't have. Classy and smart.

That's sad.

civgeneral you are not allowed to like this post

That's sad.

To me this looks broadly similar to the arguments around the GWOT where the neocons were like "the solution to al qaeda is more imperialism" and people with a clue were like "well hold on there, wasn't al qaeda kind of a consequence of imperialism in the first place? So how is the solution more of the same thing that caused the problem?"

That's baaically how I'm reading the argument you're making about Israel. It's kind of like the Farm Boy protocol, rural people vote in the GOP reducing all of their quality-of-life indicators and then those indicators are evidence that the GOP actually needs to be given more unearned minority power in the system? Something is faulty here.

I watched the Barbie movie. Loved it. Some of you really play too hard with your dolls.

Freaky deaky barbie is a queen.

To me this looks broadly similar to the arguments around the GWOT where the neocons were like "the solution to al qaeda is more imperialism" and people with a clue were like "well hold on there, wasn't al qaeda kind of a consequence of imperialism in the first place? So how is the solution more of the same thing that caused the problem?"

That's baaically how I'm reading the argument you're making about Israel. It's kind of like the Farm Boy protocol, rural people vote in the GOP reducing all of their quality-of-life indicators and then those indicators are evidence that the GOP actually needs to be given more unearned minority power in the system? Something is faulty here.
Here's the thing, in a now deleted reply I said thing to you. On both paragraphs. Like you writing like Bush doctrine toppling of dictators imperialists will result the spontaneous bubbling and emergence of freedom. Or that Hamas is evidence we should give them more political power over all of Israel a la your second paragraph.

I think about my future sister-in-law. She's a minority immigrant in the country that hates minority immigrants from the country she's from. So who'd she vote for in her first election? Well her church told her.... anyway, guess this guy's platform? Anti gay, obviously, and anti immigrant. That just means her. She's the immigrant, from the target country of disdain. I'm glad she voted. She should practice and expect her enfranchisement. In her home country, they don't actually get to do that for real anymore. But Golly. Some people vote terribly. Hamas are the Republicans. Netanyahu is the Republicans. Her guy is the Republicans. What do we do? We give her one vote and pray to her God to tell her to read some books outside of the evangelical reading circuit.

Anyway back to writing my second long reply.

Ultimately all of this violence in the Middle East is being done so we can drive gas-burning cars without paying the real costs of doing so and pretend that makes us free.
So in the Musk thread you'll stop criticizing the cars themselves but instead begin hoping they succeed.

The question is what now. You say "stop assisting them until Palestine is free" which is okay. It's not the best but it's pretty good, and far from the worst. I guess I just see World War 3 a lot less likely if our side is really powerful. There's a And I see the progressive half of Israelis as worth protecting politically. They're not voting for this stuff. They protest it. It would be shame to lose that. That's the difference here. Every human matters but not every culture is equally healthy and contributing.
I'm all in on Palestinian Statehood. I can be convinced of a few formations. Sometimes I wonder how, like who knows, maybe the best way would be something really weird like Gaza and Israel form one state and the West Bank gets to be another. Maybe a two or three state solution makes sense. Maybe there's a good one state solution that doesn't end in a bloodbath. Some kind South Africa, German Reuinification story. Although South Africa is proving not to be the best example. Still better than apartheid.

Imperialism is bad from the get. It causes a lot of bad things. All sorts of ugliness. It empowers a lot of bad people and then other people to point and say "this is why they don't deserve a chance", who you should really know better than to imagine are me. That makes really sad and wonder why I write long posts if they are just to be forgotten and I get assigned to whatever convenient set of tropes is the idea of "other side".

It's ridiculous to think suggest I believe ability to do democracy comes from an skin color. That's pretty offensive. I won't take it personally, I don't think you mean it, but it's bad to say. I hope you didn't think I was calling you person with a white savior complex, I don't think you are. But I do want to remind people that just because someone inherited their current standing by a colonizing force doesn't mean only the colonizing force gets credit for the consequences— the culture, the participants, politics etc. Which with you I felt a bit a nudge would make you pause and go, yeah, that is a shared problem with Russian invasion apologists and white savior complex types, and see how thinking Biden or the Democrats can cancel their war suffers from the same chauvinism that we are all powerful, and they are not. We are not the agent deciding what Israel does. Israel is.

But in so far as our imperialists keep getting extra power, conveniently nestled within our oligarchic structures, we go back to your original agreement with Crezth that we're dumb for criticizing the electoral college. The whole of the USA and world system has almost made it, a couple of times, into a categorically better rhythm than our current one, which I don't think is our best potential given our history and our material. Better than many many outcomes, but worse than some foreseeable ones.

In these foreseeable ones, ditch the electoral college, keep localized reps but increase their number, and have the second legislature reflect the nation. Just speed it up we can take it. Democracy doesn't belong to a genetic few, and none of us are actually born of clay in a cave. Although sometimes you wonder. But not actually.

We could even by lottery assign people at random to vote on their phones on almost every issue. Direct democracy by sample. There's a lot of systems that harness what should be much better forms of what we intend, some of them look really alien.

But also we have this world. And to move it for better we need to know why we are here. It's not just past imperialism. It's present things. Bad things are often good things too, so how do we get rid of the bad things and keep the good things, and build on them? "We need a total rewrite!" is the realm of the anxious who will quit when the rewrite comes. Cue Life of Brian faction squabble. But sometimes we get to write a new better part for real.

The entire world can collapse to monarchy. The entire world can collapse to dictatorships. And the entire world can bloom to meaningful democracy.

There's a And I see the progressive half of Israelis as worth protecting politically. They're not voting for this stuff. They protest it. It would be shame to lose that. That's the difference here.

For context on this, a typical poll shows that 50% of Jewish Israelis think the IDF is using an appropriate amount of force in Gaza, 43.4% say the IDF is using too little force in Gaza, 2% say they don't know, and 3% say the IDF is using too much force.

So the "progressive half" of Israelis here is actually more like the "progressive 3%." The minority of genuinely progressive Israelis are widely reviled by the Israeli media and politicians, called "auto-antisemites" among other insults.

It's ridiculous to think suggest I believe ability to do democracy comes from an skin color. That's pretty offensive. I won't take it personally but it's bad to say.

I don't think you think that, but I do think that (or something like it) is frequently the unspoken premise behind arguments about How Bad Hamas Is. As if Hamas just sprang out of nowhere. This is actually a key cornerstone of Zionist propaganda in general, the idea that the ethnic cleansing program carried out in '48 was essentially self-defense from a rabble of Nazis.

Which with you I felt a bit a nudge would make you pause and go, yeah, that is a shared problem with Russian invasion apologists and white savior complex types, and see how thinking Biden or the Democrats can cancel their war suffers from the same chauvinism that we are all powerful, and they are not. We are not the agent deciding what Israel does. Israel is.

The thing is most of what I've actually seen in terms of activism on this question is actually quite well-informed about the contours of US support for Israel (and, going the other way, Israeli support for things like policing in the US) and comes more from a place of horror at the sense of responsibility for what is being done to Gaza and the desire to cease that involvement, rather than from the idea that Israeli policy is made in Washington.

we go back to your original agreement with Crezth that we're dumb for criticizing the electoral college.

Reminder that I was originally one of those criticizing the electoral college.

I guess I just see World War 3 a lot less likely if our side is really powerful. There's a And I see the progressive half of Israelis as worth protecting politically. They're not voting for this stuff. They protest it. It would be shame to lose that. That's the difference here. Every human matters but not every culture is equally healthy and contributing.

I've been thinking for a couple days now about how to formulate a post to articulate to Gorbles, Lexicus, and any other wisdom-seeking heroes - and thinking about how I was going to assemble my point, because contrary to popular opinion, I don't actually like conservatives nor root for them - but I understand very keenly what it is to live in a world ruled by them. The only thing worse than an uneducated hick is a downtown professional smiling with all his teeth. The hick might take a swing at you in the dead of night. The downtown professional will make a snuff film out of you.

So, you know, if the ideology of "not as bad as Trump" can be explained by the quoted bit above, then I guess we'll all have to be happy with the Democrats indeed. Doesn't seem like the liberals are going to be the ones flinching at the apocalypse. I mean, when you get right down to it... the apocalypse is a business opportunity. And the product we're gonna sell? "Democracy."

The entire world can collapse to monarchy, dictatorship, or democracy. How? Based on vibes, on choice. Will we be GOOD or BAD people? Will we make NICE or EVIL governments? Childish. Petulant. And ultimately, irrelevant.

Then stop playing their game and do something productive instead of vote in their stupid fake elections.

The entire world can collapse to monarchy, dictatorship, or democracy. How? Based on vibes, on choice. Will we be GOOD or BAD people? Will we make NICE or EVIL governments? Childish. Petulant. And ultimately, irrelevant.
You write like every blackpilled kekster who pretends they aren't just seeking to fill the void.

You write like every blackpilled kekster who pretends they aren't just seeking to fill the void.
And you write like an economics major.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom