[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estebonrober

Deity
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/27/21271811/george-floyd-protests-minneapolis-lockdown-protests

Floyd’s death has spurred massive outcry over the police’s excessive use of force during his arrest and the long pattern of police violence that’s resulted in the killing of black men. In Minnesota alone, there have been multiple incidents in recent years that have raised national attention, including the shooting of Philando Castile, who was killed by a police officer during a traffic stop in 2016.

Well its been catching fire for a few weeks and it finally boiled over even under a red president. The images are awful and I must say I support the protesters. The men should be charged with at least 2nd degree murder.

Sure is weird to see how the media react differently to police killings of different demographics. Could you imagine if a black man had actually called the police and ended up being killed and mocked by the police as he died? Pretty sure you'd know his name.

This is not a defence of the American police btw. The American police are insane.

No we most of the time never learn their names. I know that defies your confirmation bias, but yea racism is still a problem in the US. Especially in the Justice system.

Manfred's implication that maybe the American police are equally violent to all demographics and that maybe you're the racist for highlighting police violence against a particular demographic is pretty spicy.

All said while being able to plausibly deny saying anything at all.

If there is another possible reading of his post then could someone please write it out in full.

Manfred's implication that maybe the American police are equally violent to all demographics and that maybe you're the racist for highlighting police violence against a particular demographic is pretty spicy.

If there is another possible reading of his post then could someone please write it out in full.

Unfortunately i cannot empty quote a post

Well, if nothing else, at least FoxNews isn't going to criticize the protestors for not maintaining social distancing protocols.

Whereas all the case he quotes shows that there are other demographics like the mentally ill that also get treated badly.

Police are out of control. While they may do it more to certain demographics, they treat all of us like we are beneath them and they are our masters. The problem of course is that the police and the politicians they serve don't fear the American people anymore and they haven't feared us for a very long time. That needs to change.

I'm not exaggerating or being dramatic when I say the time for open rebellion may be now. The police and the politicians that empower them clearly no longer see themselves as servants of the American people. In which case it is our duty as free citizens to remove them from their positions by any means necessary.

Police are out of control. While they may do it more to certain demographics, they treat all of us like we are beneath them and they are our masters. The problem of course is that the police and the politicians they serve don't fear the American people anymore and they haven't feared us for a very long time. That needs to change.

I'm not exaggerating or being dramatic when I say the time for open rebellion may be now. The police and the politicians that empower them clearly no longer see themselves as servants of the American people. In which case it is our duty as free citizens to remove them from their positions by any means necessary.

What are you trying to call for, here?

So this rebellion is going to what, shoot the guys reminding people to wear masks at the gas stations first? The ones doing beats?

Departments can't get educated people, the culture has swung pretty hard. It's not an aspirational career atm. So you're getting the non-aspirational members of society doing a job with a lot of power. It's not great, and it's a momentum shifter. Then again, we lionize teachers and they're having the same problem. Institutional malaise or something, in that regard. I think policing will swing around a little on quality as the recruitment rate for hispanic americans into policing keeps catching. It's part of the Irish curve or something. Weirder tho. Irish people stayed Irish because they weren't really visible when they mainstreamed. Hispanic people sometimes stay hispanic when they mainstream, and sometimes people just figure they're whitish or whateverenough. It's got more than enough overlap on the stupid first glance metric. Which is the most important one. German subculture mostly disappeared with WW1 and WW2, largely because it looked close enough to NASCARize(or whatever). It's still gone though.

So this rebellion is going to what, shoot the guys reminding people to wear masks at the gas stations first? The ones doing beats?

Departments can't get educated people, the culture has swung pretty hard. It's not an aspirational career atm. So you're getting the non-aspirational members of society doing a job with a lot of power. It's not great, and it's a momentum shifter. Then again, we lionize teachers and they're having the same problem. Institutional malaise or something, in that regard. I think policing will swing around a little on quality as the recruitment rate for hispanic americans into policing keeps catching. It's part of the Irish curve or something. Weirder tho. Irish people stayed Irish because they weren't really visible when they mainstreamed. Hispanic people sometimes stay hispanic when they mainstream, and sometimes people just figure they're whitish or whateverenough. It's got more than enough overlap on the stupid first glance metric. Which is the most important one. German subculture mostly disappeared with WW1 and WW2, largely because it looked close enough to NASCARize(or whatever). It's still gone though.

How about prosecutors, all those district attorneys that can indict a ham sandwich but apparently not a police officer in a circumstance like this?

How would you classify that? I think it's the working relationship there again, and I renew my suggestion of independent Internal Affairs wings(called whatever, I really don't care). Some of that is cultural, though. Are grand juries inappropriately lenient? Or are they too hard on others? "Can indict a ham sandwich" certainly speaks to a big damn problem, but not the one generally implied. It implies the much more obvious one.

I want to protest this injustice but I live too far away from anywhere protests occur without a car. However, I love Commodore's suggestion and it seems the people of Minneapolis had a similar idea. I see your word twisting, MB ¡Escándalo!

No we most of the time never learn their names. I know that defies your confirmation bias, but yea racism is still a problem in the US. Especially in the Justice system.

Apart from in this incredible similar, but less bad case, where do know his name... okay. The bias is quite clearly with the media and the reporting. I don't know how you can pretend not to see that.

I want to protest this injustice but I live too far away from anywhere protests occur without a car. However, I love Commodore's suggestion and it seems the people of Minneapolis had a similar idea. I see your word twisting, MB ¡Escándalo!
You can still do your part, wherever you are. Gather some friends and loot your local Target.

Moderator Action: Advocating for illegal activity is not permitted on the forums. Don't do it. --LM

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still do your part, wherever you are. Gather some friends and loot your local Target.

I think I'll just settle for breaking into my local police department's motor pool and sabotaging as many police vehicles as I can. Or just chucking a brick through the window of their building.

Moderator Action: I'll give you the same warning that I just gave Tristan above. Do not advocate illegal activities. Even in jest. --LM

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom