[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from in this incredible similar, but less bad case, where do know his name... okay. The bias is quite clearly with the media and the reporting. I don't know how you can pretend not to see that.
Quite easily, considering it's a claim you've made with no supporting evidence. Nobody was claiming police in the US only target minorities. Nobody made that claim. Your anecdote proves literally nothing other than another life the US police has claimed in their general brutality and / or complete lack of safeguarding.

As an aside, you came in here to apparently not defend the police in the US, but that's exactly what you're doing. Claiming it's some kind of vast problem with every single mainstream publication as justification for why we keep seeing more minorities die at the hands of US police is literally a defense of US police. It's shifting the blame onto the media, instead of the people that repeatedly get caught carrying out these horrific acts.

Nah, man. I'm the one that's defending them, if anyone is. Kind of dependent on what you need them to be, I suppose. The rest is general politiball, isn't it? To keep up some churn in the conversation as much as anything.

You can still do your part, wherever you are. Gather some friends and loot your local Target.

Won't somebody please think of the rich capitalists exploiting the poor?!

Apart from in this incredible similar, but less bad case, where do know his name... okay. The bias is quite clearly with the media and the reporting. I don't know how you can pretend not to see that.

just a reminder people, when black people take stuff from shops it's called looting, when white people do it?

It's called "finding"

And when hongkongers defy police it's called resistance, when black people do it? it's called rioting

so yes there is a disparity in the way the media report things, just not in the way you "just so happen" to be implying

Nah, man. I'm the one that's defending them, if anyone is. Kind of dependent on what you need them to be, I suppose. The rest is general politiball, isn't it? To keep up some churn in the conversation as much as anything.
"the media are to blame" in an event where the cops are at fault for the incident amongst a chain of similar incidents suggesting a trend is explicitly blaming someone other than the cops. That's just how it is.

"the media are to blame" in an event where the cops are at fault for the incident amongst a chain of similar incidents suggesting a trend is explicitly blaming someone other than the cops. That's just how it is.

psst there's no point in explaining that, cops are our heros and anything less than veneration is insulting

General politiball is valuable. Bad news is valuable. Manfred B. is valuable even if he's just picking a fight.

I turned on a broadcast news segment a while back. I don't do that often. Crap is bad enough the good news stories are breaking headlines. Good news is the worst, because then it's news.

General politiball is valuable. Bad news is valuable. Manfred B. is valuable even if he's just picking a fight.

I turned on a broadcast news segment a while back. I don't do that often. Crap is bad enough the good news stories are breaking headlines. Good news is the worst, because then it's news.
I'm of the opinion that a lot of things here in CFC are valuable, but certainly, you don't need to defend others that are capable of putting their own arguments forwards :p

Can you explain in your own words how the media react differently to police killings of different demographics?

Remember that time Justine Damond, a white woman, was shot to death by a black cop and the cop was pretty much shunted off to jail? Contrast that with the cases of a white cop killing a black man and just see how the killers were treated after, either being let go or in some cases kept on with full pay. Enlightening stuff.

I consider the media arch as part of the generalized politiball. Some of it will be churn for churn sake.

The coverage of the Minn killing has not exactly painted the police in a favorable light. That seems to have become more the norm and not the exception.
Take the woman walking her dog that called the police on the black man. The press has already convicted her. She was fired from her job. The days where the media whitewashed incidents like that are waning.

Take the woman walking her dog that called the police on the black man. The press has already convicted her. She was fired from her job. The days where the media whitewashed incidents like that are waning.

Because there was footage. African-Americans have literally been killed as the result of words by white, american women, she knew what she was doing by calling the police when all he was doing was asking her to obey the rules, in fact that's why she did it; it was a weaponized threat

and she paid the price for it because the media didn't shy away from the story. Footage in the old days didn't guarantee that the media would cover it non stop for days, which is has happened with this story.

and she paid the price for it because the media didn't shy away from the story. Footage in the old days didn't guarantee that the media would cover it non stop for days, which is has happened with this story.
Her paying the price is inconsequential. It should happen as a matter of course. It shouldn't even be remarkable. The problem is the culture that leads her to believe such a thing is acceptable in the first place, which then forces these incidents to be filmed as a pre-emptive countermeasure.

You're very insistent that things are better than at some unspecified point in the past. That's true. Nobody's asking for institutional racism to be solved overnight. People are asking for it to be recognised, and not dismissed (however your intentions) with "she got punished, problem solved". You're still viewing it as an individual case, and not symptomatic of something greater.

You sited a Guardian article? I mean it was in the mainstream press, the fact that it didn't catch fire is not on the main stream press. This went viral over social media outside the MSM, I saw this on reddit before I saw it on any news network.

Quite easily, considering it's a claim you've made with no supporting evidence. Nobody was claiming police in the US only target minorities. Nobody made that claim. Your anecdote proves literally nothing other than another life the US police has claimed in their general brutality and / or complete lack of safeguarding.

As an aside, you came in here to apparently not defend the police in the US, but that's exactly what you're doing. Claiming it's some kind of vast problem with every single mainstream publication as justification for why we keep seeing more minorities die at the hands of US police is literally a defense of US police. It's shifting the blame onto the media, instead of the people that repeatedly get caught carrying out these horrific acts.

This is still the most disturbing case I have ever seen. Its a white guy. The problem is notably worse for black males, but I will be telling my boys that form about 14-50 calling the police for anything other then desperate measures needs to be thought over really hard. Maybe call your homeowners insurance company first. ffs.

To protect and serve. Tragic, though by no means the worst such 'death by police' video I have seen. Recall that FBI execution a few years back, of a person who supposedly threatened four people (including two FBI agents) with anything ranging from a gun to a stick to karate skills? Gunshot to the back of the head was self-defense :p
Also a nice video of police approaching a man to ask questions, then just shooting him down because he likely could transform into Megatron.

This is still the most disturbing case I have ever seen. Its a white guy. The problem is notably worse for black males, but I will be telling my boys that form about 14-50 calling the police for anything other then desperate measures needs to be thought over really hard. Maybe call your homeowners insurance company first. ffs.

What a sorry piece of trash...

The Twin Cities are imploding from riots evolved from protests to this wrongful death. I hope no innocent lives will be lost. Property and dirty or killer cops, on the other hand, matter less.

You can still do your part, wherever you are. Gather some friends and loot your local Target.

Your President literally turned on a guy who peacefully protested police brutality. Needlessly, but done in order to make you (his base) happy.

Your President literally turned on a guy who peacefully protested police brutality. Needlessly, but done in order to make you (his base) happy.
The God Emperor?

I don't understand your angle, what does he have to do with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom