1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Here, MLK makes an argument that non-violent protest does not necessarily mean promotion of 'peace,' as in lack of tension. A peace that tolerates a stagnant complacency with the status quo is less tolerable than a state of tension in which conflict, disparity, and disagreement between fellows becomes clear. A path to justice is not through understanding and compromise, but an active fight for a good future against evils of the past.

A good peace is not simply a lack of some negative force, but the presence of a positive one. Justice. Goodwill. Equality.

Here, MLK asserts that physically violent aspect of his movement represent a minority, and that this existence of a violent subset should have no bearing in either how his messages are perceived nor the moral value of his mission--which is to fight injustice. The moral character of the movement should be based upon the moral character of its majority--which is empirically largely peaceful and good.

Here, MLK makes an argument that while he condemns the riots and believes it to be self-destructive, that it is ultimately the status quo which is at blame for causing the riots to break out. Condemning a riot and failing to condemn the status quo or the oppressive conditions which caused it thus constitute a morally irresponsible act.

In addition, he condemns those who believe that status quo and 'tranquility,' that is, lack of protests and its accompanying riots, is preferable to justice and humanity, which he both noted previously must be fought for.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I'm sure him and the entire civil rights movement are totally shattered with regret over your disapproval, rolling around in their graves, suffering sysiphean torment of the mind for their horrible deeds

3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Yes, the riots aren't something that MLK aimed at or the BLM Movement is aiming at, they are the result of the lack of response to years of complaint and peaceful protest.
    Indian independence wasn't achieved by Gandhi and non-violent protest alone (arguably even mainly), there were horrible riots, massacres etc.
    Sadly power tends to respond to threats more than it does to peaceful protest but that isn't the fault of the peaceful protesters.

4. PhroX

PhroX Deity

Violence maybe, but not senseless violence. These are people for whom every other avenue has failed. When you're in that position, violence makes a hell of a lot of sense.

caketastydelish likes this.
  5. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Wow. That whole "let's keep this RD" thing lasted a long time didn't it. Three posts?

Berzerker and TheMeInTeam like this.
  6. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

In my defense I did not posit that this should be RD. It is full of completely racist takes that deserve derisive treatment in my opinion. I knew it would be fwiw.

Also comparing minor property damage to human lives is such an awful take it should not be considered part of a RD imo either.

7. Manfred Belheim

It isn't your decision to make so that's not a defence.

You can make that point reasonably though, as you just did.

But RD is about the tone of discourse, not what can and cannot be said. You personally not liking something that is said doesn't mean it doesn't belong.

red_elk and TheMeInTeam like this.
  8. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

So you can be as terrible a human being as you like, as long as you're polite about it, and nobody can call you out on it. This is why civility politics sucks.

Like when that one politician (Australian, perhaps?) got removed from the floor of the legislature for calling another politician, rightfully, a racist.

JohannaK, gay_Aleks and aelf like this.
  9. Manfred Belheim

Well you can say anything that you like so long as it's within the forum rules and you're polite about it yes. Others can call them out just fine, provided they adhere to the same standards. You know this. If you're unable to criticise bad ideas without resorting to meme-level posting and wailing then I guess you need to practice your rhetoric, perhaps in a non-RD thread.

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  10. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I'm surprised people are shocked about the violence. This protest has been going on for years. How long ago did Kaepernick lose his career over it? How many years has it been since Trayvon, Michael and Tamir were killed? How much has been done since then? It's almost like a movement needs to get scary before anything happens.

gay_Aleks, aelf, Sommerswerd and 2 others like this.
  11. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Why are you people getting so uppity, it's only extrajudicial murder that doesn't affect me

Socrates99 likes this.
  12. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Perhaps

Attention span and exhaustion is always a hurdle.

But I do think Kaepernick had positive result !

It is about where your yardstick is... what you measure as result.
    Hearts of people or results in law enshrined.
    And what are laws without hearts ?

Would without Kaepernick winning the hearts of many people... would without Kaepernick this revolt against racism have spread out so fast ?

13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Let's just say I'd like to see the links to the statistics on BLM protesters burning people's houses down this spring/summer. If you're introducing it as a non-negligible factor, I'd expect you'd be able to cite countless examples... that is, unless you're strawmanning as usual.
    So you're against MLK now?... Fascinating. First protecting the Klan, now denouncing MLK. I guess I could acknowledge your ideological consistency?

14. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Violence is a symptom in many cases. What makes the violence necessary is that intervention wouldn't have happened without the symptom.

Let's go through the Trump Presidency (10% compounding returns in the stock market)*

Candidate Trump, racist infographic.
    President Trump, pardon sheriff essentially convicted of racial profiling
    President Trump, encourage roughing up suspects
    President Trump, encourage firing of visible protesters
    President Trump, convinced military he gave them overdue raises
    President Trump, uses officials to clear a square for a photo-OP

*deficits of 5% of GDP to generate 4% nominal growth during peak of business cycle

[Trump deniers] -> points at beneficial stuff done, offended that uppity blacks aren't grateful

Socrates99 likes this.
  15. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

You ask: "why have the people forgotten about Trayvon, Michael and Tamir?", but I wonder - have they? Is this movement not directly linked to the injustice in your country? They have seen that the non-violent ways do not stop the killings, yet now, we can see how the state is set straight on them, to contain and defeat the movement.

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Trayvon wasn't killed by police. If this keeps getting presented as a general black vs white issue, instead of a specific police primitive brutality vs the public, it will only allow the murderous US police to continue doing their thing.

Which, tbh, is sadly what I do expect will happen. But it needn't have gone that way.

17. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

To be fair, protecting the Klan while denouncing the civil rights movement and MLK is not a new opinion in America. It is, in fact, quite a popular one in groups such as white supremacists and sociopaths, among others, some of whom even may also be libertarians.

it is, of course, also a race issue. Acknowledging that racism plays a part in police brutality does not weaken the position of being against police brutality. In fact, it strengthens it in most cases.

18. Kyriakos

Certainly it is.

But if it gets presented like a 99,99999% black minority issue, it won't get resolved.

19. civvver

civvver Deity

I wish people would stop lumping Trayvon Martin in with police shootings. Zimmerman got off because of a stupid stand your ground law, a terrible law, but there was insufficient evidence to prove he did anything illegal. Cops are literally murdering people and getting off because they're being protected by the establishment. They are breaking the law and it's being covered up. It's a pretty big difference in my opinion.

TheMeInTeam and Kyriakos like this.
  20. Kyriakos

And you can be sure cops (their handlers) will try to arm themselves with concrete statues. And with that diversion, maintain their activities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.