Get it on...Bang a Gong Diplo thread

Math is 180 for us ATM. 15 Scientists.

There is the question of us needing a friend too. GONG is the only candidate so if we want a friend they are what is offered. They will also give us better protection if we get them up in Tech though I am a bit puzzled about the slow tech pace they have managed so far. OTOH we have managed to get the philo free tech and popped 4 techs from GHs so that is basically the difference between us.

Question is do we join at the hip? That is basically what we want if we are to supply them with 24+ turns of research and we want a moratorium on hostilities until we are sole survivors on the map. 80 turns is (as was said by someone earlier) a "safe" period for them to make sure they are not threatened by our GLH.

We need them to deal with FREE. I know Kuningas abilities and he is the player I fear the most in this game. He is also not too concerned about the fact they risk Galleys crossing to GONG. Their designated target I would think? With Council on their other side they too have a natural direction of attack. They will soon be able to send Knights and with 2 70 shield Knights losing a Galley for every 2 knights is just a 20% increase in the price of a Knight on GONGs shore. A very different price to the 50% increase for a HM or Sword. I am pretty sure he has presented such a plan to his team. Maybe we should make GONG aware of the rather imminent risk they are facing? This is also why I would advocate a deal with GONG even if we are not 100% winners in such a deal. Let them pay us gold so we can rush units or keep tech research high in MA.

Another issue is GHs. I am pretty sure they are unaware of the (probable) GH on their resource island. That would add a third GH to the chances of getting both remaining techs. Or we could research Currency and wait with huts until only Construction remains? With 3 GHs the chance of getting one tech is ~80%.

Decisions, decisions... I guess it all comes down to our need of a friend and of a shield against FREE. We need to make them aware of the threat they face in their west. And our targets must be SABER -> Council. Reducing the Scientifics are absolutely crucial. So from that view GONG is also safe from us. ;) Our good start should hopefully be enough for us to take out SABER and leave BABE/GONG vs. FREE/Council. And if Council is as weak as you say then we should have a good shot at getting FREE into a defensive position with a steep uphill battle to get to Domination with BABE/GONG controlling a majority of the map.

GLib is not a bad idea. But I would advocate GONG build it. then keep them in the dark until such time as we want as many techs as possible from it. If we build it I fear FREE/Council is soon at Education, beelining for Navigation? While we could give GONG a good shot at a whole heap of techs by waiting to introduce Council.

those guys are honorable and I'd be willing to gift them with "future favors" to be determined later. be it techs, cash or military help

I think we hammered it out pretty good. One thing I suggested is we get compensated somehow for our techs. Either building the Glib or future considerations. I also put the bug in their ear about FREE being their closest neighbor and to be careful. It's very close to the time when knights are in.
Let's get a beaker count so I can send it to JB tomorrow. They will finish IW this turn so we're talking CoL, MM, HBR, philo, ?wheel? and maths for cash. They'll try to get construction and currency from the huts.

Spoiler :
jb1964 says:
Hey, I finaly typed up our rather simple agreement and posted it on Gong for review.
Whomp says:
ok cool
Whomp says:
did cane tell you we can do maths in 4 even in anarchy?
jb1964 says:
I thought I read that and was impressed
jb1964 says:
That's a lot of food and peeps
Whomp says:
much better for us the use the cash from you then try to hire taxmen
jb1964 says:
OK, so math isn't going to be part of what we send your way then?
Whomp says:
correct
jb1964 says:
Did you discuss w/ Cane the goingn rate on techs?
Whomp says:
you'll give us some cash while you go zero science
Whomp says:
i think 150g was what we talked about
Whomp says:
it's 180 beakers at our rate because of contacts
jb1964 says:
OK, that works
Whomp says:
another thought on how you can help us by getting you caught up...
Whomp says:
how about you do the Glib?
jb1964 says:
There's great debate over that currently
jb1964 says:
different factions want to go other routes
jb1964 says:
How would you suggest we sahre the GLib if we can get it?
Whomp says:
well council and free will be way ahead
Whomp says:
obviously we'd need you to meet them
jb1964 says:
So if we were able to build the Lib we should work out an agreement to swap techs for some time to come...
Whomp says:
yep and i think we're giving a pretty good head start
Whomp says:
we've been pretty lucky with philo free tech and huts popped
jb1964 says:
I hope we get the same w/ currency and contruction
Whomp says:
i think we should begin construction regardless don't you?
jb1964 says:
Before you do check in w/ us re: the Great Lib
Whomp says:
ok
Whomp says:
we need to understand what happens if construction and currency come through if we're giving all these techs. fair enough?
jb1964 says:
durring the KISS golden age we built units...
jb1964 says:
these guys are pretty expert and milking production
jb1964 says:
So when talking w/ Cane the 150g was based on Math for your techs?
jb1964 says:
but now you don't want math
Whomp says:
we can get maths in 4 in anarchy
Whomp says:
while you can run 0% science
Whomp says:
and give us cash instead
jb1964 says:
right, I'm trying to figure out what your expectations are so we can work it out when we get const and/or curr
jb1964 says:
OK, I'm not sure where we're currently at in research
jb1964 says:
will check
jb1964 says:
but no scense in us both getting it
Whomp says:
right
Whomp says:
here's the way i see it
jb1964 says:
talk to me brother
Whomp says:
first on maths
Whomp says:
we can do it in 4 in anarchy so rather than having you do it when you're able to get cash (we can't in anarchy) we both win
Whomp says:
hence why we should do maths
Whomp says:
that's first
Whomp says:
2nd though we want you as a partner we'd like to get a fair deal in return on the techs we give.

Whomp says:
does that make sense?
jb1964 says:
totally
jb1964 says:
couldn't agree more
Whomp says:
that's one of the reasons i was thinking Glib could be done by you

Whomp says:
of course if both construction and currency comes through we can manuever on techs
Whomp says:
we would not be adverse to receiving cash too btw
Whomp says:
which again if you're running zero science until we give you math and then while you pop huts then that should alleviate it too
Whomp says:
Ok
jb1964 says:
you send us the tehcs
Whomp says:
right
jb1964 says:
after we have math and other we pop huts
jb1964 says:
you get what we get
Whomp says:
and then we figure out what happens based on the huts
Whomp says:
we just want fair value for the techs
jb1964 says:
base values, discounted, how would you figure that?
Whomp says:
even a discount for our friends but we just want to be rewarded for our knowledge
Whomp says:
i wouldn't think base values since you'll meet others
jb1964 says:
The base of your techs was about 930
jb1964 says:
math is 240 and we may already be researching it, I hope not
Whomp says:
i told him last night so i dunno if prince already set it our not
Whomp says:
maths cost us about 180 i think
jb1964 says:
Nope, we're one turn from hitting it and I'll make sure we don't

Whomp says:
good
Whomp says:
much better if you run cash than us
jb1964 says:
I'm just going off of base Standard/Emperor values, I'm really not that clued into the Tech Calcs and have been using the utility heaviliy the last few hours
jb1964 says:
Yes, us in GA and all
Whomp says:
wotan ran the numbers
Whomp says:
want me to tell you what he came up with?
jb1964 says:
The numbers I looked at were at about a 55-60% discount given that we're last in line
jb1964 says:
sorry, 55-60% of base value, not discount
jb1964 says:
But if we give you both Currency and construction wont you wind up owing us?
Whomp says:
i think he was looking at COL, wheel, philo, HBR, MM and IW...
Whomp says:
so really IW shouldn't have been in his total
Whomp says:
cuz you're finishing that next, correct?
jb1964 says:
right, we have that next turn, yes, you're up to date
Whomp says:
ok then his #'s are off
Whomp says:
he was including IW
jb1964 says:
Well, if he's up on the numbers then give them to me and I'll plug them into the agreement. Obviously we're going to get there anyway and we should bypass my ignorance if possible
jb1964 says:
Well, if he's up on the numbers then give them to me and I'll plug them into the agreement. Obviously we're going to get there anyway and we should bypass my ignorance if possible
Whomp says:
1,161 beakers (w/IW) and 840 beakers for currency and construct
jb1964 says:
drop IW and make sure to include math
Whomp says:
maths cost us 180 instead of 210
jb1964 says:
I don't have tech calc on this comp
Whomp says:
i don't eihter
jb1964 says:
well, base on Math was 240

jb1964 says:
what's base on IW?
jb1964 says:
No matter, we'll get you both Curr and Construction
jb1964 says:
just let me know the delta
Whomp says:
well the big question is whether we should research construc
Whomp says:
just in case that's 40% chance doesn't happen
jb1964 says:
seems like there have been a lot of techs popped, I think they fiddled w/ the odds
Whomp says:
you think?
jb1964 says:
We're probably not going to get both so we need to stay abreast of wht's happening
Whomp says:
well it could be because we got 4 i think
jb1964 says:
*cough*
Whomp says:
right
jb1964 says:
So to make this easier should we simply make an agreement on mutual research?
jb1964 says:
Tech sharing and the like?
Whomp says:
yes
Whomp says:
absolutely
jb1964 says:
Anything for simplification
Whomp says:
we need to catch free/council
Whomp says:
and leave saber in the dust
Whomp says:
the only thing i ask is fair
Whomp says:
we all know each other well enough to be fair
jb1964 says:
If we get Great Lib the powers that be are going to want you to send more that Charlise our way
Whomp says:

Whomp says:
twins ok?
jb1964 says:
18, sweedish
Whomp says:

Whomp says:
teacher?
jb1964 says:
OK, If we get the Lib... one moment...
jb1964 says:
OK, Suzy and Dr. Bambi will suffice
Whomp says:

jb1964 says:
Charlise is still great eye candy
Whomp says:
we have more
jb1964 says:
OH man, you should have Harriet watching over your shoulder
Whomp says:
she is
jb1964 says:
Haha
jb1964 says:
Back to the Lob
Whomp says:
ok so we'll do math
jb1964 says:

Great friggin' Library
Whomp says:
i think that's negotiable and assumes you get zero huts
jb1964 says:
We're going to sop up a buttload of techs
Whomp says:
are you going to have any barb issues?
jb1964 says:
That's been quelled
Whomp says:
actually it would've already happened, right?
Whomp says:
because the other two are in the MA's
jb1964 says:
We've had our run in w/ the barbs but that's history
Whomp says:
so you've got the area covered where the huts are
jb1964 says:
Wait, you mean if we get the Lib prior to popping the huts
Whomp says:
no the glib if you don't pop huts
jb1964 says:
yes, then if we go to MA the huts get nasty
Whomp says:
if you don't get anything from the huts
jb1964 says:
They'll be popped prior to any run at the Lib
Whomp says:
then you do Glib
Whomp says:
right
Whomp says:
you have to in the AAs
jb1964 says:
Yep, I'm up on that nuance
Whomp says:
but what i'm saying is let's assume you get nothing from both huts
jb1964 says:
OK, gentleman's handshake
Whomp says:
does that make sense?
jb1964 says:
Yes, I think I understand your meaning
Whomp says:
ok
Whomp says:
cool
jb1964 says:
We'll formalize this sometime quickly
Whomp says:
i want to be fair and if the feeling is Glib is too much then we can figure other stuff out
jb1964 says:
but you will not walk away from this deal in a foul mood, I'll see to that, I'm looking to stay on good terms w/ everyone
Whomp says:
yes i'll have the #'s guys give me the beaker count and we'll match #'s tomorrow
Whomp says:
cool
jb1964 says:
what do you think the other alliance is up to?
Whomp says:
free and council are in deep
jb1964 says:
they're all teched up...
Whomp says:
saber wants us to be their partner to catch up
jb1964 says:
I'm not so sure that SoZ was a mistake...
Whomp says:
and we're going to shut them out like no one's b'ness

The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

Whomp says:

jb1964 says:
getting better at noticing when I get booted
jb1964 says:
We'll take your word on that
jb1964 says:
but I'm spooked that council and free are going after bloodshed
Whomp says:
it will cost them
Whomp says:
50% chance of sinking with units aboard?
jb1964 says:
I honestly don't know what the designs for war are going to be in this game
jb1964 says:
Well, feel free to visit them first
jb1964 says:
Oh, another topic...
jb1964 says:
resources and luxes
Whomp says:
yes
jb1964 says:
if we're in this deep we might as well look to swap everything up to bodily fluids
Whomp says:
yep
Whomp says:
you guys need to be very aware of Free
Whomp says:
Kuningas is on that team and he is mighty good
Whomp says:
and they are closest to you
Whomp says:
that's on record btw
jb1964 says:
horsehockye
jb1964 says:
OK, when possible, when we can trade available resources we'll be giving you rights of first refusal
Whomp says:
cool
Whomp says:
that's fair
jb1964 says:
It only makes sence
Whomp says:
absolutely and i think rik has surprises on the resource front
jb1964 says:
no doubt that
jb1964 says:
So Free's in our backyard, but DO NOT have a safe navigable route to our shores?
Whomp says:
it's still something to be aware of though
Whomp says:
it won't be long before they have knights
jb1964 says:
Agreed, and just clarifying
Whomp says:
another reason to keep saber in the dark...sipahis
jb1964 says:
We'll make sure a landing is impossible and or very costly
jb1964 says:
Ya, they can go down that path by their lonesome
Whomp says:
well they may not know what we know but it's worth knowing they're closest to you
Whomp says:
and have Council to their back
jb1964 says:
most kewl
jb1964 says:
I would say we have a lot to digest but I think we're pretty clear about everything
Whomp says:
ok so i think we just need to hammer out the beaker values and contigencies if currency and construction don't hit
Whomp says:
xpost
jb1964 says:

Whomp says:
idiot minds think alike
jb1964 says:
The Gongers will rejoice
Whomp says:
tell them....I love you, man :cry:
Whomp says:
do you have wheel?
jb1964 says:
nope
jb1964 says:
hahahaha
Whomp says:
ok i'm just posting what beakers the techs are
Whomp says:
asking someone cuz I'm old school...mapstat and all
Whomp says:
i should get civassist shouldn't I
jb1964 says:

jb1964 says:
I should put it on this comp as well but I've been trying to keep it clean
jb1964 says:
So, we're going to get the save next before you...
jb1964 says:
We'll send the 150g downpayment
Whomp says:
if installments are better let us know

OK, we send all techs we are up next turn?

BTW, in the discussion you talked about Galleys full of units sinking. That is not something likely to happen. You shipchain over hazardous waters. So empty Galleys will be left in the ocean/sea tiles. It leads to a slightly higher loss rate since they need to survive the turn prior to recieving the transported units but you never risk any land units sinking with a "drowning" ship.

can someone summarize what is going to happen...I am a little confused

we send them all know techs (CoL etc) and they give us cash for that while they now switch off research until we got maths in 4...then they pop huts and hope to get construction and currency (don't they need a remaining tech to set on to pop another tech, like monarchy or so?)

How about the next layer of techs? Are we going to split research? They most likely won't be that fast...

Thanks for the clarification Wotan. That makes sense.

Here's what I suggested to GONG...if they miss on currency and construction then they should build Glib (for compensation) so we can both catch up to Free and Council.

If they hit one or both then we'll recalibrate based on the beakers received and renegotiate the Glib (or whether it's built at all). What I need to send him is what the beaker values are for:
Math (though they'll give cash), CoL, MM, wheel, HBR and philo. These are the techs they're missing. Then we need to know the value of currency and construction. Having the base value and the discounted value would be helpful. Can someone post these numbers, please.

I also suggested we start on constuction just in case they miss on the huts. I think the chances are pretty good they'll miss one although I wonder if the stats have been adjusted because we've popped four techs.

BASE COSTS: Math: 240, CoL 300, MM 360, Wheel 120, HBR 150, Philo 180

Current costs (according to CA2): Math 192, CoL 270, MM 324, Wheel 108, HBR 135, Philo 162

But the CA2 costs are apparently higher than the in game costs... Math is 180 in game. So maybe we should use base costs as a basis for calculations? Why would all costs for researched techs be 10% lower but Math that we are currently pursuing 20%??? More contacts have eg. The Wheel or CoL? We also know SABER is back MM while Council have it and both of them have The Wheel so diffeneces are odd in CA2?

EDIT: Must have something to do with CA2 not showing who has what? So it only take one team (us) into account when showing values of researched techs. No idea why Math is so miscalculated though...

during the last SGOTM, I found that tech costs according to CA2 are always a little off from the real game, though CA2 always indicated lower costs

Here's a pm from JB.
jb1964 said:
'll be on later this evening but wanted to prime the pump, so to speak, before that.

Prince started sending you gold. He didn't have 150g laying around so it's going to come in installments.

We're prepped to pop the huts the turn we get the Techs.

I know you're interested in stuffing Sabre but is there a way we can use them to counter the other block? Making a 3v2 alliance for the time being and saving the Sabre bloodshed for a later date?

Big picture, 3 kills 2, we kill Sabre, we shake hands and wish each other the best.

Whether or not we work out a 3v2 deal with them we need you to string them along w/ discussions, and maybe even a deal or two, to keep them from going after GLib w/ a pre-build. Can you spell out their current techs for us and any assessment you may have as to pre-builds?

We'll make a run at the GLib but we don't have anything pre built that would make it a sure thing. We had a run at pumping out units to cover our shores that took the focus off bigger infrasturcture builds. We think we can still get it but the risk being Sabre might leverage a pre-build and the upside is we'll both be getting more from the Free/Council techs machine if delayed.

Now for the real good news. We have two sources of iron.

OK, I will send the techs next turn. If "PrinceM" goes online again and spot he forgot to include the save. ;)

Why do they want to save SABER??? Strange? And two sources of Iron, so what? It is not helping nayone until Navigation or Magnetism. And when oceans are safe landing can happen anywhere so we really need to fight as many as possible before that happens. Not really sure how they think ATM???

Since we are in contact with everyone in a turn or two and GONG is not we can pretty much decide when to "activate" GLib. It is justa question of us withholding the crucial contact until the right moment. Unless Free is devious enough to supply it to limit the effect of GLib, I know I would... ;)

I think they're feeling a 3v2 makes sense and getting Saber's free tech. I don't even want sipaphis to see knighthood! :p We may have to come clean at some point.

Just a reminder click "Accept" when sending the techs.
This means we are not sending a proposal, but accepting to just pass the techs over. Then you click Send.

OK, thanks for the reminder on trade. That is if I ever get a save to play? Prince forgot to attach it... :(

we should tell them when our ships set sail imo. That would show some trust that they wouldn't tell Saber but at the same time we need to give them enough so that they don't promise anything that would unknowingly be false.

I tried to deflect the Saber talk as much as possible.
We need to start thinking of excuses on why we're not dealing with Saber. My thoughts are we simply had a better offer but are open to acquiring their MA tech.
Spoiler :
jb1964 says:
Well, we're trying to track down the save for you guys but Prince, for the first time in a long time, is MIA from all things internet...
Whomp says:
cool
Whomp says:
btw remind him how to accept a deal
Whomp says:
hit "accept"
jb1964 says:
youstill have an offer hangin' out there?
Whomp says:
no no
Whomp says:
pbems are weird that way
Whomp says:
we have to send it "accept" and "send"
jb1964 says:
I ought to pull up an old turn and just play a round to get the feel fro it.
Whomp says:
the diplo screen is a little strange
Whomp says:
here's what we posted
Whomp says:
click "Accept" when sending the techs.
This means we are not sending a proposal, but accepting to just pass the techs over. Then you click Send.
Whomp says:
btw
Whomp says:
BASE COSTS: Math: 240, CoL 300, MM 360, Wheel 120, HBR 150, Philo 180

jb1964 says:
Hmm, will have to experience this for myself
Whomp says:
CAII costs
Whomp says:
Current costs (according to CA2): Math 192, CoL 270, MM 324, Wheel 108, HBR 135, Philo 162

Whomp says:
those are our costs because of contacts and that will go down since we'll meet free in 1 or 2 turns
jb1964 says:
OK, I'm taking note
jb1964 says:
Did you get my PM?
Whomp says:
i did
Whomp says:
honestly we really don't want to help saber
jb1964 says:
hehe
Whomp says:
sipaphis are not our idea of fun
jb1964 says:
OK, I see that
Whomp says:
the others don't have a killer UU
jb1964 says:
We'll I was hoping we could coax Sabre into sending his Siplopis over towards Free and Concil
jb1964 says:
And then maybe ream him a new one
jb1964 says:
It's cold but it would be interesting
Whomp says:
sipaphis are a game breaker
Whomp says:
i think we can tandem and make a go of it
jb1964 says:
Well, if we leave Sabre helpless will they become the target do jour for the other alliance?
jb1964 says:
Or will they be pulled over to the dark side to deal w/ us?
Whomp says:
Well the others would have to ship chain to do it
Whomp says:
possible for sure
jb1964 says:
3v2 makes me giddy but if Sabre's not part of the equation then we have to deal w/ it... We want to be on the same page here.
jb1964 says:
So please screw w/ their mind so we gan come into some serious techs
Whomp says:

jb1964 says:
Tell 'em you're building the GLib and are just turns away... Anything to set them back a few and I think we'll wrap it up..
Whomp says:
i think they're aware what we have at this point
jb1964 says:
hmmm, then deception is not going to work w/o some selling...
Whomp says:
i think we need to tell them we accepted another deal but would be willing to negotiate their free tech only
jb1964 says:
So, do you have idea, and I doubt you do, if they're inclined to go for the Lib?
Whomp says:
they'll be too far behind
Whomp says:
they still have a lot of research left in the AA
jb1964 says:
they're going to be backwards and screwed
jb1964 says:
they're working on a pre-build now if they're lucky
Whomp says:
well that's why i'd rather string them along
Whomp says:
they're not very generous when i talked to them about their free tech
jb1964 says:
Yes, do whatever you need to drag them out
jb1964 says:
My sister lives in Buffalo Grove, I'll give her to add to the Babe's collection
Whomp says:
You can't add your sister...it's illegal because we can't gawk at sisters...
jb1964 says:
OK, man code thingy
jb1964 says:
she's cute but she's a royal pain in everyone's ass
Whomp says:
hehe
jb1964 says:
hay, I have to run to a soccer try-out
Whomp says:
ok me too

From JB...We'll finish maths on turn 100, correct?
Eeesh on the map....
JB1964 said:
So, are ya'll willing to provide the map?

If so, what's the price?

Lastly, what turn are you going to finish Math?

That post also showed up in the turn tracker!!!!!!!!!

This is really bad... Not only does it reveal our position in the tech race it shows we are quite cosy with GONG. Sorry but unbelievable screwup I guess. And with absolutely no way of recovering from it.... even you edit it fast it will have been sent as a notification to everyone subscribing to the thread. And tell GONG we are not really keen on giving them the map, I guess. Sigh..... How was this possible, it must be a bug in CFC forum for sure. You cannot have posted it in two threads??????

I had two windows open trying to see what turn we were on. I'm really sorry everyone. :(
It's deleted...

Human error, that is probably more OK. Would have been absolutely disastrous if it was a bug.

But on second thought, am i correct in assuming that a post goes into every thread you are actively looking at (in different windows). That is still a bug in my book.

From memory not all the post shows up just the first line or so, if so it could just be a normal diplo talk, an error yes but hopefully shouldnt be too costly.

edit= i dont know what browser whomp is using but what i assume he meant was he just read one thread and went to the quick reply of another thread without noticing what it was, not that one post gets posted in every browser.

I spoke with xyzy and Gen W and they have agreed to not share the info in the thread. Sorry everyone.

As BC said I posted in the wrong thread because I had too many open including the turntracker.

Top Bottom