Girls Basketball Team Wins Game 100-0, Coach Fired

Bigfoot3814

Deity
From the NY Daily News
Texas high school basketball coach fired after beating opponent 100-0

DAILY NEWS STAFF

Monday, January 26th 2009, 4:12 PM

For one Texas high school basketball coach even when you win, you lose.

Micah Grimes, who made national headlines when his team beat up an undermanned opponent 100-0, was fired on Sunday.

The firing of the girls varsity basketball coach comes after the Covenant School issued an official apology on its Web site following the Jan. 13 blowout of fellow Dallas-area private school, Dallas Academy.

Grimes, who was in his fourth season at the school, disagreed with the school's apology and said his team played with "honor."

"I respectfully disagree with the apology, especially the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel 'embarrassed' or 'ashamed,'" Grimes wrote in an e-mail posted on a youth basketball Web site on Sunday and published in The Dallas Morning News.

"We played the game as it was meant to be played and would not intentionally run up the score on any opponent. Although a wide-margin victory is never evidence of compassion, my girls played with honor and integrity and showed respect to Dallas Academy."

Kyle Queal, Covenant's headmaster, confirmed the firing to the Dallas Morning News, but said he could not say if the dismissal was a direct result of Grimes' disagreeing with the school.

Queal signed the original statement along with board chair Todd Doshier.

"The Covenant School, its board and administrators, regrets the incident of January 13 and the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition."

The Christian school also sought to forfeit the game saying "a victory without honor is a great loss."

Covenant, a contender for the state championship last year, held a 59-0 lead at the half in the mid-January game. According to reports, Covenant continued to shoot 3-pointers and employ a full-court press defense into the fourth quarter.

Dallas Academy, a school that specializes in teaching students with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia, has only eight players on its varsity squad and is winless over the last four seasons.
I heard about this on the radio. I'm one for giving 100% at all times, but to lay that much into a team of only 8 kids with short attention spans when you're already ahead by 50 points is far too much. I think the coach probably should've shown at least a little restraint on that one. What do you guys think?

In b4 fundamentalists rofl

on the radio
(Again?!)

OP- On reading that the kids had learning issues AND were undermanned...yeah, 100 points in overkill. No need to win by that much...

Good thing it wasn't Bobby Knight.

Seriously, what sort of girls' HS basketball coach would think this was a good idea?

The coach shouldn't have been fired, but a reprimand is definitely in order. He should have cut off the scoring at like 50 to zero.

http://www.covenantdallas.com/podium/default.aspx?t=32145

Statement Regarding Dallas Academy Game
1/22/2009

The Covenant School, its board and administrators, regrets the incident of January 13 and the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community. The school and its representatives in no way support or condone the running up of a score against any team in any sport for any reason. The school’s board members, Head of School Kyle Queal and Athletic Director Brice Helton have acted to ensure that such an unfortunate incident can never happen again.

Covenant school officials have met with and personally apologized to Dallas Academy Headmaster Jim Richardson and Athletic Director Jeremy Civello and wish to extend their highest praise to each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner. Accordingly, The Covenant School has contacted TAPPS and is submitting a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss.

Kyle Queal
Head of School

Todd Doshier
Board Chair

(Again?!)
It is where I get most of my news besides here.
The coach shouldn't have been fired, but a reprimand is definitely in order. He should have cut off the scoring at like 50 to zero.
In some youth sports leagues they have some kind of "mercy rule" that limits scoring or forces a forfeit if you're winning by too much.

@Formaldehyde is that the actual apology? Thanks.

I too get my news mostly from the radio. I read it out loud so thats how I get my news.

I think it's stupid for a team to put up 100 points considering they were state contenders last year, and most likely again this year...I can see why they fired the coach...it shows the school that they dont care about winning...they care about their image or something like that...

I can see why they fired the coach...it shows the school that they dont care about winning...they care about their image or something like that...
Well, they ain't public, so I guess they've gotta worry about their tuition checks.
He must be a Democrat.
Badump tssshhh!

I agree with this move, running up the score by THAT much is disgusting.

Hard to give an opinion without know more details.

If he had his starters & best players in the whole game (which I'd guess he probably did), yeah he's an ass and the firing is justified for display what is, IMO, the lowest of the low in poor sportsmanship.

OTOH if he was playing his bench by the time the lead got massive, and the other team was just that bad (which it sounds like they could possibly have been), well, I don't really know what could have been done. I'm don't know offhand of any rules that allow a game to be called early if one team has a massive lead, and even if there were I think if I was playing that it would be more embaressing to have them shut the game down and say "you just suck too much" than stay in and actually try, even if you take a beating like that.

It really sounds like the Dallas school needs to be in a different division or something, where they actually have a tiny chance to compete.

He didn't get fired for letting the team win by 100, he got fired for disagreeing with the apology.

He didn't get fired for letting the team win by 100, he got fired for disagreeing with the apology.

I can't blame him, it was a ridiculous apology. Dallas Academy "clearly emerged the winner"? That's laying it on pretty thick.

perhaps I'm a little confused. Back when I used to watch/play basketball the point of the game was to get as many points as you could to win the game did they change the rules or something?

perhaps I'm a little confused. Back when I used to watch/play basketball the point of the game was to get as many points as you could to win the game did they change the rules or something?

It's high school.

Sportsmanship is part of the game, too.

I have to agree with this. Why on earth should the coach have been fired? Maybe he showed poor judgment, but that's not sufficient to get somebody fired over a game. As long as the rules were followed and nobody got physically hurt (I'm not familiar with basketball; do fights tend to break out as they do in hockey?), what is the problem?

If the issue was that the team was playing a group of students with developmental disabilities, there should have been an agreed-on set of modified rules that would have given the disabled students more of a chance. Or -- and this is a stretch -- just DON'T KEEP SCORE! Make it "for fun" -- like it's supposed to be.

The coach shouldn't have been fired for winning the game. If the other team sucks...too bad.

I don't think anything could've lessened their embarrassment really... I would be embarrassed to have a game called off due to being too bad.

Having a team go easy and holding back on you would be just as humiliating.

It's up to the Ref to call quits in game, not the coach.

Top Bottom