Hazzabout- Why don't we, how's about.

The 'Horse- My locale.

Wacked- Crazy

Crazy- Interesting

Kwa?- Huh, What?

Sketchy- Worrysome.

Cheechako- Local.

Sourdough- Someone new to the Yukon.

Terrist- Tourist with a southern American accent. We get lots of them.

PB Hunter- (Polar Bear Hunter) Tourist who thinks we have polar bears in the 'Horse.

Some of this is things I and many other people say, though they are not uniquely Yukon.

Some is, however, very unique to the territory.

Well, the Aussie language is about 50% slang... some of the more well known ones.

Fair Dinkum - Can be used in several ways.
Are you fair dinkum? = In its question form, is roughly Equivalent to the American 'Are you for real?'
Fair Dinkum! = As a statement, it means 'That's amazing/incredible!' or 'How annoying!' depending on the context.
You gotta be fair-dinkum kidding me! = Here, it serves as a replacement for any number of expletives.

Pom = Our affectionate name for the English, especially when sports are involved. ie 'The poms copped a
shilacking in the Ashes (a two yearly cricket competition between England and Australia)'

Footy = Football, one of any of the four codes we play here (Rugby, League, Soccer and Aussie Rules).

Dunny, loo, **** house = toilet

'built like a brick **** house' = describes a particularly bulked up, solidly built person - often used in reference to a football player.

tanked, sloshed = drunk

can't be stuffed = Can't be bothered.

The 'rents - parents

hella - extremely

dehty - insane

wicked - extremely

I have a lot more.. my slang is a rather odd combination of Canadian and West Coast...ian?

I've got a plenty but it's really hard to translate finnish slang to english.

"Kupilla" "ottaa kuppia" ~ "at the cup" "taking a cup" = he/she is drinking alcohol or is at a bar.

"Perseet olalla" ~ "asses on shoulder" = drunk person.

"Seinän ryöstö" ~ "Robbing the wall" = withdrawing money from ATM.

mashed = inebriated

You must add the words 'pure' and 'man' to appropriate parts of every sentence you make. Pure being similar to 'rather': I was pure mashed/I was rather mashed.
You must add 'man' to the end of every sentence, otherwise it's a sign of disrespect. I was pure mashed, man.
gee'z a swatch of * , basically meaning give me whatever * is. Could be a drink, a look at whatever you're holding, etc.

ah wiz pure oot eh ma boax man!! ...pure mashed

oot eh ma boax = Out of one's box, inebriated in some fashion.

Randoms:
pish'd = drunk
ah got well pish'd man
boabey = derogatory term meaning PENIS (similar to 'bawbag')
you're a boabey

There's too much slang to cover for Scotland!

Well, the Aussie language is about 50% slang... some of the more well known ones.

Fair Dinkum - Can be used in several ways.
Are you fair dinkum? = In its question form, is roughly Equivalent to the American 'Are you for real?'
Fair Dinkum! = As a statement, it means 'That's amazing/incredible!' or 'How annoying!' depending on the context.
You gotta be fair-dinkum kidding me! = Here, it serves as a replacement for any number of expletives.

Pom = Our affectionate name for the English, especially when sports are involved. ie 'The poms copped a
shilacking in the Ashes (a two yearly cricket competition between England and Australia)'

Footy = Football, one of any of the four codes we play here (Rugby, League, Soccer and Aussie Rules).

Dunny, loo, **** house = toilet

'built like a brick **** house' = describes a particularly bulked up, solidly built person - often used in reference to a football player.

tanked, sloshed = drunk

can't be stuffed = Can't be bothered.

Dogs eye - Meat pie
Hit the frog and toad - Hit the road
Bugger that for a joke - No
Go and get stuffed!! - No
Tell him he's dreaming - No

One man's garbage is another man's treasure, but sometimes there are women that all the guys know that you don't date or let your boys date, even though they seem appealing on the surface, as they are insane or carry disease or are even beyond even a drunkin' one night stand. We call them "scrunts".

Sketch = suspicious, suspect
That guy looks pretty sketch to me

Petered out = tired
I'm all petered out

Bomb = good, awesome (can be used in reference to a female)
Man, she's lookin' bomb!
This pizza is so bomb.

All I can think of for now.

From here in Wisconsin

Bubbler - A drinking fountain

Yooper - A person that lives in the northern part of Michigan, and Wisconsin

Flatlander - A resident of Illinois, usually used to refer to bad drivers sporting the Illinois license plate. Also know as FIBS (******* Illinois *******S)

Uff da - think doh from the simpsons

Would "thread necromancy" count as a slang term?

Most Canadians that I've heard say "NOO-fund-lund;" Newfoundlanders themselves say "NOO-fund-LAND." The "d" in "fund" is very weak, barely noticeable.

"NOO-fund-lund"? In Quebec its 'Nyu-fin-land".

O, right, slang, slang...

dep(aneur) = corner store
metro = subway
eh? = 'what?', or 'ironically acting 'Canadian' '
Couple more, mostly Franglais or Frenglish. And then theres a lot of words that we know, but think of in french. Is different for everyone. For example, I know a 'cahier' is a 'notebook', but I dont think of it as such a silly word as 'note-book'. So unimaginative...

And french is sometimes added in, for no reason in particular (as in, 'demain' for 'tomorrow', even though we think in English).

Oh, oh, oh! And many WASPy terms in UberAnglaisLand have no place here, comme... I can't think of any. But I DO remember thinking, whenever people use them on TV, "people still talk like that?".

Top Bottom