Gliese 581

Your average civ junkie
Round 0 (After settling).
Round 1, 4000 BC - 2920 BC (27 turns).
Round 2, 2920 BC - 875 BC (53 turns).
Round 3, 875 BC - 25 BC (34 turns).
Round 4, 25 BC - 600 AD (26 turns).
Round 5, 600 AD - 1100 AD (30 turns).
Round 6, 1100 AD - 1500 AD (40 turns, the end).

I have a little spare time now so I figure it's time I try my hand at deity, with some help. I've started a few games with Hatty and some of them looked good, others bad, but I felt like after the first 100 turns or so I started to lose focus and eventually made some bad choices. So I'm making a public game and inviting everyone to comment and discuss strategy as I play.

From my limited experience I feel that Creative is one of the strongest traits on deity so I wanted to go with that. Spiritual can be great for diplomacy when there are religion wars around. The leader I chose for this game is however Pericles. I've played Hatty so much lately that I wanted another leader and Philosophical is always a very useful trait imo. Greece also has a decent UU and UB. It's just to bad there are no Cre/Cha leader or I would have picked that one.

All settings left at default, fractal standard map, normal speed, 7 civs.
I use BTS 3.17+ Solver's latest patch, the BUG mod and Blue Marble.

The start after moving the scout:

I could move 1S to get marble in 2nd ring though for marble hookup purposes being creative I'll get it in 3rd ring well in time to build any marble wonder so that would be mostly to work it I guess. I could also move 2S on top the plains hill there to get +1prod at cost of 2 useless coast tiles later. Settling in place might reveal additional resources.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• Deity Gliese BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    33.8 KB · Views: 339
Well by no means am I an "expert" player (prince-Monarch), but I think that Settling in place is best. If you cottage and run Bureau, that could be a great commerce capital, and besides marble isn't a great tile.

Well by no means am I an "expert" player (prince-Monarch), but I think that Settling in place is best. If you cottage and run Bureau, that could be a great commerce capital, and besides marble isn't a great tile.
Yea but marble could help with building Parthenon and the ToA. But the AI builds so quickly that the the only way to get Parthenon ect ect is to have marble. But you have some nice Floodplains to cottage so you should probably settle 1 S

Settle in place. You only have one visible resource in your BFC, there's a good chance there's more in all that fog above you.

To above: ToA isn't exactly a vital wonder, expecially on deity. Parthenon is nice but its value is lessoned somewhat by the philosophical trait, plus aesthetics is pretty far away and he should have a third border pop by then. More important things to think about than wonders though... expansion mostly.

Its basically a gamble. Certainty of marble by moving 1S against the possibility of resources in the fog from your current position. I'd guess that your most likely marble wonder would be Glib and you'd have marble available in plenty of time for that. I'd probably settle in place and hope for the best.

Yea but marble could help with building Parthenon and the ToA. But the AI builds so quickly that the the only way to get Parthenon ect ect is to have marble. But you have some nice Floodplains to cottage so you should probably settle 1 S

ToA and the Parthenon, while good, aren't amazing wonders. As stated above, the city will get marble in the second pop. Perry is Creative, so it won't take long. You'll have marble for the GLib, and perhaps any other marble wonder. Plus the possibility of other resources in the fog(very likely) Settle in place.

It seems the majority want me to settle in place and I agree. There is a good chance to reveal additional resources since there's only 1 visible.

Indeed there was another resource though not food like I'd hoped:

I'll leave some time for discussion before playing round 1. I plan on keeping the rounds reasonably short and relatively frequent (hopefully no more than a few days or less between updates).

What to build and which techpath? We already have Hunting and Fishing. AH + Worker seems a safe bet here, followed by Mining->BW? Perhaps fit in Ag somewhere? (edit) Actually AH->Ag followed by Mining-> BW might be best to avoid worker downtime. I think that path would give me pasture on cows, camp on phants and 3 farmed flood plains by the time BW is in. Perhaps Ag first to save 2 research turns (but delay pasturing cows)?
We have -6 food at size 20 by my count but is high on production (and we're philosophical) so the capital looks less than ideal for cottages I think.

Now if only I could figure out how to make bookmarks so I can link to individual rounds in the OP, anyone care to explain this function to me? :)

Your tech plan will probably need some revising.

If there is AH but NO HORSES within YOUR CAPITAL or 1 tile off of the BFC that will be covered by the cultural's borders on its next pop (thank your lucky stars you're creative if that happens), then you need to go Archery.

Depending on the map, you could go AH - Agr or AH - Agr but I think going Agr before Archery is best.

Pericles also has strong starting techs for deity -- Hunting for Archery if necessary and Animal Husbandry (AH).

And I think the capital is just fine for cottages -- 4 floodplains plus several grasslands.

At the top right hand corner of each post is a number(The number post it is) If you click it you get a separate window of just the single post. Hope that helps!

I dno about ag-ah-mining-bw. You might be tight getting barb defenders up (unless horses pop near capital).

What do ppl think about wheel-pottery-ah-archery? If no horses that might be safer & give you a stronger early econ. The downside would be slower expansion. (also farm floods is 7turns, cottage is 5 if I remember well). You could improve the ivory while teching pottery and then start cottaging & growing.

I might shadow if I find the time next week. Good luck. :hatsoff:

You could grow to 2 first. Worker will come 5 turns later, slightly faster bronze working.

i would do Ag-mining-BW-archery (if you dont have bronze)
with bronze, you will have phalanx
farm the FP

then i ll get writing ASAP, build library, and run SC (and later gradually switch to CE)
AH can be researched later when you need more food/health
pottery for cottage at your 2nd city

next step would be beelining literature for GL (mansonary to grab marble)

Looking forward to seeing this game play out.

I am sure I will learn something from it.

Looking at the screenshot, we can reach size 6 once the elephants are camped. We can farm 4 floodplains and work Ivory and Cows at that size.

A 3/3/1 tile would be awesome early on but I feel we can skip it for now and go agriculture -> archery -> mining -> BW (-> AH/Wheel??).

The worker will have plenty to do before BW.

Builds could be worker -> warriors -> archers when available, then whip a worker -> chop/whip a settler.

Best of luck regardless of what path you choose.

i'd personnal waged and moved the capital 1 north there, and then placing a city at some point 1e from the Mable

i'd personnal waged and moved the capital 1 north there, and then placing a city at some point 1e from the Mable

There isn't any food there so doing that doesn't seem very good... Pretty mediocre capital, great for cottaging though will be a slow start, i guess something like AG -> ah -> archery(unless you have horses) -> mining -> bw is a nice tech path... Other alternative is to go AG -> mining -> bw -> archery i guess...

why isn't there any food ... it'll still reaching the Cow ... and if lucky getting more stuff out of it :)

I'd grab masonry at some point and make literature a priority. This is a good start for the GL with that marble. But that's later...

I'd go AH + worker, as you suggested. We can hope horses come up. If they don't, you'll need archery next. Mining + BW would be good after that to get your REX going, then pottery for cottages and granaries. You have a nice cottage capital there with a good amount of production to boot.

This game should be very informative. At Deity, won't it be important to grow fast and use the whip plus do some chopping? How soon should BW be teched?

Top Bottom