1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Consciousness Project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Dec 7, 2019.

1. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I just file this kind of thing under "secular" religions. People just want to believe in something big and mysterious. And now that the world is explored and outer space too far away seemingly forever, the escape is this kind of thing...

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

The major difference between a simulation hypothesis and Creationism is that one of them doesn't need to claim that the creator is good or even the arbiter of morality.

My major objection as an atheist to various theories of God is that they think that God is good or that She cares about us.

cardgame, hobbsyoyo and Narz like this.
  3. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

They aren't, we agree about that. Also agree on the second part. Obviously our view of the universe is anthropocentric, how could it not be? Our only "modus operandi", our only way of thinking and experiencing, is decidedly human. I don't mean to say these ideas are wrong because they're biased, I was just saying that their popularity often comes from filling psychological niches, like with Rick and Morty style multiverse. The same could be said of almost any great thinker. To some degree we always interweave our own psychology into our overaching philosophy.

So, in another sense my point is this: A (scientific) theory that caters to human psychological needs is not necessarily false just because it has a human bias. However, which theory ends up dominating our public and scientific Paradigm (in the sense of Thomas Kuhn) is often a function not of validity and scientific rigor, but of human psychology. Imho, that is one reason why Christianity was so successful and swept away many other faiths. Because it really resonated with what people were experiencing, thinking, anxious about, what people really wanted answers to. Not necessarily because Christianity ever had the right answer, but the most compelling ones. This doesn't just go for religion, any (scientific) theory that to some degree mirrors the contemporary and the human condition will usually end up more popular than those who don't.

Black holes are big and mysterious, too, are they also part of a secular religion?

Narz likes this.
  4. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Those two are certainly not entailed in creationism in general, they are specific to the Abrahamic religions and even there it is doubtful to some degree. I doubt Hindu deities are seen as exclusively good nor evil, iirc the creators of the universe are seen as diametrically opposed primordial forces, not necessarily even as conscious entities with a will and a motive. Most of the gods have different "forms", often combining good and evil in one deity. Again, I dk much about Hindu mythology, but I do know of many creation myths where the creator is neither "the good" nor omniscient nor the arbiter of morality.

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Iirc, Hinduism doesn't suffer from the problem of evil. It's also incredibly diverse, such that catch all statements are basically asking to be disproven

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. xwyhzol

xwyhzol Chieftain

Evil is the form of stupidity, considered state shifting - you evil-shift - stupidly. It can also be a state, or a sub-state.

good is a lot more than the antithesis of evil.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

What do you mean creating instances?

You mean dreams alter reality?

8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I find myself agreeing with Patine and innonimatu and that doesn't happen often!

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

But evil often prospers so how is it "stupid"?

Agree on that.

It's a pretty difficult distinction. Is a kind word enabling bad behavior good or evil? A harsh one condemning someone? It's hard to know the consequences of our actions. Some say it all comes down to intention but I find that a weak definition, the road to hell and all that.

I'd say good requires more than just good intentions but a strong desire to understand and WORK towards the well being of self and others.

10. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Ha ! I knew RNG is not random ! It's smashyyy time ! *smash ! smack ! whoop ! bang !* aaaaahhh ! what's that RNG You're saying ? "mercy ? " I think not !! *SMASH ! WHOOP ! BANG !* :satan:

:devil:

11. xwyhzol

xwyhzol Chieftain

Yes, not all lives are fair, some genetics will find being good easier. So it's also to some degree, personal.

The very beginning of existence is solvable but not soluble metaphorically, you can know, but cannot relive like a fading photograph.

You can predict and construct a reasonable explanation.

It's just the fact we commonly think, and then was the big bang.

12. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Spoiler :

Any more RNG's I can smash ?

13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Let's begin with some guidelines so we can stay oriented.
    Opinions: Things someone believes to be true or have value but that may or may not be rooted in observation, logic, thoughtfulness or experience.
    Common sense: The collective "wisdom" of a cultural group that is often accepted as true.
    Logic: a set of rules for thinking through problems after one has agreed upon some basic axioms

I would like you to post your pathway to logical conclusions and the axioms that are its foundations. Thanks.

Since my only statement so far in this thread was "Our single universe seems like a definition of originality." that is what you must be calling flawed logic. The logical thinking behind that statement was not revealed, so I find it unlikely that you have any logical basis to find my thinking flawed. If you are going to claim that your logic is somehow superior or better or more thoughtful than that of others, please explain to me and the rest of us what you mean by logic and the pathways you follow to conclude what you claim as truth.

What are "formats of existence"? The term is new to me. How do you know what I think or what I find to be "void"?

What context? Do you mean that in our 21st C world the idea of a single universe is not original because in the past the idea has been put forth? I certainly do claim to be the first person to espouse such an idea, but from a universal perspective an infinite, expanding, physical universe of discrete evolving things is pretty unique and creative.

We know very little about the full content of the universe and we do keep getting surprised.

Does this contradict some of what you said above?

And what is the source of that knowledge? Typically, human knowledge comes from things we learn from others; observation and experimentation; and experience. Where does your come from and is it something other than those three?

I am curious about what you replace the Big bang with and how you know that your thoughts are the true ones. Again, I do not know what a "progression of simulation" is. Please explain.

No and likely.

Species external to our universe? Please explain how you have reached the conclusion that this is true or even possibly true. First, I don't think you know my opinion and second, lots of sci fi writers have tackled this question and found many different answers. Obvious? To whom based on what.

There is not logic or logical progression to this or anything else in your post. Please read my statement above.

If we are to have an actual discussion about this interesting topic, you will have to do better at explaining what you mean and how you arrived at your conclusions. I look forward to more of your posts. :)

yung.carl.jung and Hygro like this.
  14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I think that the theory about the big bang was actually based on "predictions and reasonable explanations". A scientific methodology was used. And while such a theory may not be accepted by all, do you have a better model that explains the origin of the universe and can you support it with actual evidence and logical thought?

15. Patine

Patine Deity

The term "off one's rocker" is not always used in modern parlance to indicate insanity (in fact, only in a minority of current usages - terms involving "chiropteran excrements" seem much more popular for slang involving true insanity nowadays), but the idiom I used is much more often just used for outlandish, bizarre, or unworkable ideas or proposed actions.

16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Genuinely surprised to learn that something called "Global Consciousness Project" is not a cult.

...It's not a cult, right?

cardgame, hobbsyoyo and Hygro like this.
  17. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Sure is not ! Join in , You just have to get rid of those worldly desires You have, just dump all You have into our account ! We're happy to oblige ! =)

Hygro likes this.
  18. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I can also sell a Golden Gate Bridge !

It's a bargain ! :lol:

19. Truthy

Truthy Idle

20. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I’ve been wanted to stumble onto that website again for many years thank you.