Going to Britain

nivi

Call me Ishmael
In mid august I will go to Britain for two weeks, and I've already planned out most of the trip, which is mostly nature walks, but I would like it if the British posters mind pointing me in the right direction on what to do in the cities, namely:
London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Dublin, Cardiff. I would be spending about a day in each, and if you think of any other place which is a "must have" for a Britain tour, or any other thing, that would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

[Irish nationalism]Neither Dublin nor Belfast are on the island of Great Britain[/Irish nationalism]

Guinness brewery in Dublin - good view of the city plus Guinness. Just chill out in a pub somewhere really.

But Belfast is still part of the UK.

In Glasgow,you could see Glasgow Cathedral,City Chambers and Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum,and the Science Museum if you like that sort of stuff.Theres also lots of pubs around Glasgow.

But Belfast is still part of the UK.

Which is not the same as Britain. :rolleyes:

To be honest I think you'd be better off going to Liverpool these days then anywhere in Wales, Scotland or Ireland. European City of Culture don'cha know? In London, just get yourself an oyster card for the Tube and see all the sites. The Palace, the London Eye, Camden Market etc etc. You might want to go to Maddame Tussauds or something too. That's supposed to be good.

It was in 2008.

There have been a gazillion cities who have been the "capital of culture" - it doesn't mean anything.

Go to London it is fun :D

I don't know why anyone would want to visit Britain. There isn't anything here that's worth visiting as everything is done a lot better everywhere else.

Where are you going walking?

There's too much to do just for one day, check out JericoHill's recent thread on the topic.

Just been on the phone to my aunt, her best comment is 'Can't stand them English'. ;)

Anyway, there's a lot to see in each city. Edinburgh Castle is da besssst.

Go to a place that speaks English instead.

Like, for example, anywhere else in the world.

I'm only seventeen but id say that Britain can offer alot if you go for the History lesson, potentially.

Theres always the Museums in London, Cardiff has a Museum, im sure the others might do, i'm a Cardiffian myself, but I dont know really what Cardiff has to offer fully.

-EDIT- Plenty of nature in Wales, plenty of it, but not really so much in Cardiff persay

Wait

Britain has nature?
Who's said that there's nature on the island?
You can find some up in the Highlands and islands if you like, but that's about it.

Dublin is alright, but I tend to leave the city as quickly as possible and go to Irish countryside instead. Galway and Cork are also much nicer cities. Templebar can be fun though. If you must go to Dublin, stay south of Liffey.

I did, Perf, but I meant the answerers, not the OP. Nobody even mentioned the 'nature'. :)

Be sure you're up on your shots, especially rabies. Watch out for raging zombies in London. Go to the Cavern in Liverpool and see the Wax Museum Beatles. Then to Balmoral in Scotland - ask for "Liz". While in the North, visit Eilean Donan Castle and see the Highlander exhibit. It's next to the "Nessie" ride. And look out over the North Sea at the many unexploded BP oil rigs.

Find a local pub in Dublin and chat to the local celebrities. You'll learn more about Dublin talking to that crowd than going snapping some pictures of landmarks.

Top Bottom