GOTM - 01: A New Beginning. Pre-Game Discussion

ainwood said:
Although seeing as its thanksgiving, will your families thank you? Perhaps we should wait until tuesday as a public service? :p

What? And see people get fired for missing work on Wed. ;)

ainwood said:
Although seeing as its thanksgiving, will your families thank you? Perhaps we should wait until tuesday as a public service? :p

Naaaah... think of us, non-Americans. Give us something to do over the week-end, while you guys are still stuffing yourselves with turkey left-overs... ;)

post it. if its converted already, post it. those who can play it now, will. those who cant, will play it on tuesday or wednesday, or in two weeks, its up to them. no reason to make us wait any longer......
please!!!!!

Great and thanks, especially the tips which is very helpful.
And waiting for the path. Hope i have enough time to enjoy this game!

I'm looking forward to playing this chaps as it's kinda unchartered territory for most of us - especially after only just being able to see where we are going (black map bug).

So whenever you're ready, Ainwood. (no pressure)

Incidentally, I'm still getting a problem where the game locks up and forces the PC to reboot, despite the black map bug being fixed. How will we counter this with the GOTM? I ask, as it may look like there is some cheating going on (i.e. shutting off and back on again). It's a royal pain for sure though! I'm having to save every turn just in case it's that 'turn' to hang up.
:cry:

deadloss, there is an autosave feature that you can utilize. The admins don't mind you loading from the most recent save (or autosave) to recover from a crash. Just that if it is happening say 50 times a game.... you might want to look more into fixing the problem.

Let's start today! It's Black Friday in the US so no sane person ventures out of the house anyway.

I was going to play paintball today but my friend that was going with me got drug out by his spouse to fight off the crowds :lol:.. poor soul :suicide:...

I'm planning on staying in my pajama pants all day and goofing off. :D I could start this game if it was posted but ... :mischief:

I'm at work, doing absolutely nothing. What a stupid company to pay me for nothing instead of giving us today off...

Give the man a break! Ainwood lives in New Zealand, and is probably fast asleep right now.

javajeff2 said:
Today would be a wonderful time to post this game! Please!:) :crazyeye: :)

I don't think javajeff2 was out of line with his friendly, enthousiastic request... Without meaning to put undue pressure on Ainwood (who is, after all, doing this for fun and for free), can I second that thought? :)

Tubby Rower said:
deadloss, there is an autosave feature that you can utilize. The admins don't mind you loading from the most recent save (or autosave) to recover from a crash. Just that if it is happening say 50 times a game.... you might want to look more into fixing the problem.

Thanks Tubby...yeah, that's what I've had to use so far in the games that I've been playing but I wasn't sure if that was allowed in GOTMs unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure that I can do anything about the reboots - it's the game itself that decides when it can't cope with something, hangs, spews and then gets up out of the gutter!?! I'm still not fully confident that the problems have been cured with the patch - but at least I can see where I'm going now!

Thanks for helping!

AlanH said:
Give the man a break! Ainwood lives in New Zealand, and is probably fast asleep right now.
Ainwood in New Zealand, soundly snores away
As posters pine for the game today;
The file on his hard drive nicely sits,
A troublesome scenario in bytes and bits;
We're all waiting to play Rome
He's tucked in bed and at home;
The impatient masses all gather round
Waiting for his keyboard's clicking sound;
Wake his ass, its time I say;
We're at the gate and poised to play.
:mischief:

Wow that's great Jaguar (BJ just didn't sount right :hmm: )

jayeffaar said:
I don't think javajeff2 was out of line with his friendly, enthousiastic request... Without meaning to put undue pressure on Ainwood (who is, after all, doing this for fun and for free), can I second that thought? :)
Certainly no offence taken. You can blame a cat fight outside my window for getting me up early. :ack:

Saves are available here.

ainwood said:
Certainly no offence taken. You can blame a cat fight outside my window for getting me up early. :ack:
At dawn's first light
The silence breaks: a cat fight!
Helen tried to turn Shiela's trick
So she beat her hard with a hickory stick.

Great news, I'm off to play!

deadloss said:
Thanks Tubby...yeah, that's what I've had to use so far in the games that I've been playing but I wasn't sure if that was allowed in GOTMs unless absolutely necessary.

I'm no authority on the matter, but I would think that using an autosave to keep playing after a crash would qualify as "absolutely necessary". You should make every effort to play the same moves you played before, all the way up to the crash (hoping that those specific moves didn't cause the crash).

BTW, I hope everybody knows that there's a setting in the .ini file to force autosaves to occur every turn, instead of every 4 turns as it is by default. Having to replay up to 4 turns exactly like you did before could be rather difficult.

Setting the default to every 4 turns says a lot about how optimistic the devs were being about the stability of their game. ;)

Top Bottom