GOZ3 -(Totally Barbaric)-C3C

Ok, everyone seem happy with number 5 so here it is.

Totally Barbaric

First player 20 turns, then we play 10 each.

The minimap tells us we are at the very centre of the world :)

Let's get that settler factory working and do some exploration first, GLib and the Lighthouse are issues we have to deal with later. Of course a prebuild of some sort would be nice if we go for either. But first let us see what the land has to offer.

Remember the raging barbs, a second city for military and hopefully extra workers is always a good idea.

Roster:

1- conehead - (Itching to get this baby going)
2- grahamiam - (Tapdancing in the corner)
3- akots
4- microbe
5- gozpel

First the SAVE

Preturn- settle on spot. The hut gives us maps. Revealing Dyes to the SW and 2 more huts. Research set to pottery at 70% due in 27, worker to cow.
4- cow watered, road started.
IT- carthage warrior->curragh.
5-road completed, worker to BG,
6-lux to 10%, warrior sent exploring.
10- Carthage, curragh->warrior, pop hut, get barbs.
IT- Warrior fends of barb attack, promotes to vet.
11- mine completed, start road, warrior south, curragh north. Lux to 30, science to 50.
It- Carthage warrior->curragh.
12- lux to 10, science to 60, explore
13- spot a roman warrior, they are up WC and down Mansory, they have 10 gold. road completes, go to other BG,
14- start mining BG.
IT- Carthage curragh->warrior,
16- Lux to 30, science to 40.
IT- carthage warrior->settler.
17- Rome has CB now.
18- Mine done, start road.
20- Contact germany, they have BW, WC and 35 gold, They don't have Mansonry or WC, Rome doesn't have BW. Trading time. Trade Alphabet to Germany for BW and 29 gold. Trade BW, Mansory and 1 gold to Rome for WC and BW. Road done, move toward game.

We have horrible land. We have Marshes to the south and mountians. We will need alot of workers. A settler is due next turn. Pottery is due in 3 turns. Rome is to our south. Germany is to our south also past a choke i believe.

Make sure noone patches to 1.20 or the game will not work!

Looks like you may have an early archer rush war for the continent. The land to the south looks nicer, though the entire world looks to be covered in marsh. Good luck guys.

here's the 2550BC save

Preflight check: everything a-ok. I'll probably send the settler south to the cow since no other land looks all that good.

IBT: Carthage settler -> worker MM to get in 2T vs 3T, growth still in 1T.

T1: 2950BC
Roman warrior goes due north so settler goes south. Worker irrigates. Curraghs explore. Warrior plays interference with a roman warrior/settler set moving northward. Adjust lux and sci slider.

IBT: Growth in Carthage gives us enough sci output to get Pottery, I want to set max research to writing but max turn is 50T so I set to min.

T2: 2900BC
Adjust lux slider. Curragh meets the Hittites who are even in tech. Warrior continues to guide roman warrior/settler pair away from our spot. New worker moves NW to help other worker.

IBT: Carthage worker -> warrior (1 vet roman warrior on our southern border)

T3: 2850BC
Warrior blocks, curraghs explorer, settler/warrior continue south. Worker moves NE to help other worker.

T4: 2800BC
Warrior blocks, irrigation finished so workers road, settler/warrior continue south.

T5: 2750BC
move both workers to forrest. Warrior blocks, settler/warrior south, curraghs explore.

IBT: Romans settle on river next to forrest game. Carthage warrior -> granery

T6: 2710BC
workers chop (only 3T with 1 worker, man, where my calc's messed up)

T7: 2670BC
Carthage grows. Utica founded NW of cattle on river -> worker. Damn, roman warrior is next to the GH, I must have missed him come out of the fog. Move warrior out of Carthage to cover workers in case barbs pop out of GH and increase lux to 10%. Now that we have more gpt coming in, set sci slider to 90% to get writing in 32T vs 45T.

IBT: Roman Warrior pops hut but nothing comes out. Looks like they got 25g but no techs (we are up Pottery on them but they only have 36g)

T8: 2630BC
Workers finish chop and start irrigating.

T9: 2590BC
Curraghs explore. Warrior moving SE to reach other pennisula.

T10: 2550BC
Workers finish irrigation and then road. warriors/curragh continue exploring.

Granery is due in 5T with a growth in 2T. Science slider is set to 90% but next player should change to 100% to get writing in 26T vs 29T.

Have fun. :)

Yup. I think we should do an archer rush on Rome before they get iron. Then we claim the choke and have the west side of the continent for ourselves.

Wow! Moving fast and got a good start! It would have been better to have a starting settler sooner but it might be OK. Plan is to settler northern part with whales after temple (2 cities) and 1 city in between these and capitol as well as around dyes and at fish (3 cities). Utica better be left alone or may be another borderline city just to limit Roman expansion north. If boats spot something of interest, we can settle there also. And why should we trade techs with AI? See no point at all. We get everything what they know from GL and if they stay in Despotism longer, we are doing certainly better. Initial map layout suggests no need for Lighthouse.

We need two prebuilds: FP and GL. But it is still too early. Marshes we leave to Roman slaves. They'll irrigate them.

IBT. Hittites seem to spread rapidly. Is Tarsus a Persian city in C3C? Changed science to 100%, Writing in 26 turns. Changed preferences (this is important, please note) to Show all animations (checked) but to Cancel orders (unchecked). First is needed to clearly see who moves where and second is sometimes needed to save some worker turns. Also turned RENEGOTIATE DEALS OFF. Please keep it this way. If we want to renegotiate, we always can.

[1] All quiet. Germany has IW. Mm Carthage for growth. Increased luxury 10%, Writing in 24 turns.

[2] Sailed to England. Beth is annoyed and we are up CB and Masonry. She has 16g. Two Roman warriors come to Carthage. IBT. Warriors leave. Granary is ready, building settler.

[3] Map does look like continents. Writing in 21 turns. Utica switched from worker to NM. It would be regular but still there are some Roman warrior wondering around. Not that we want GA now, but just in case. It would be better than lose this city.

[4] All quiet. Romans are still going up and down.

[5] Carthage grows in size, luxuries go to 20%, writing in 22 turns. For now, we appear to have 4-6 4-turn factory but after mining regular grassland, it might be 5-7 4-turn factory. Actually, city has +6fpt at maximum, something can be squeezed out of it but not now. Traded Masonry to Germany for worker+25g.

[6] Carthage settler-settler.

[7] Moving settler in position. It is tight build but for Despotism may be OK. Writing in 17 turns. Germany has wheel. England also.

[8] L. magna founded, building Colossus. It might go later to FP or GLibrary or Glighthouse depending on situation with contacts. So far we got many and may be no need for Lighthouse. Writing in 12 turns.

[9] Utica NM-worker (or temple or barracks or something else). The city has low corruption now before the core is settled, so it has some shields to be put in infrastructure. Later it would be completely corrupt probably. Rome has IW.

[10] Our warrior stumbles upon barb camp. Survives two attacks and promotes to elite. How about NM army to go after Rome? Carthage settler-settler. Will leave that for the next player. Apparently, it can go for dyes. At least looks tempting but we need to road jungle to get them. Our warrior redlines but plunders barb camp for 25g.

Diplo left to next player. Settler factory functions like a new Mercedes. First two turns working cow, game and 2 mined BG, then same +mined grassland for 1 turn (for extra trade) and forest for another(for missing shields). Two extra shields come from another forest upon growth to size 6. For now, it would do. Later on, we can think of making it some combo factory. Writing in 9 turns and then Philosophy at max and then just rest and enjoy life while building Great Library or research Map Making also at max (or get it from the Library). Good luck!

SAVE

It would be nice to discuss future city placement with a dot map. Cannot do it now. I have rather slow dial-up and it is too late now. But this may be important.

When we chosed the save, I thought this will be great fun. But what did we get? Marshes, jungle, mountains and a neighbour right in our lap!?

Ah well, we will have to take out Rome early. They have already IW and we have nothing. Archers won't be enough, we need swords and/or horses.

We will have 2 cities with decent production, not good, just decent and one of them will build settlers as fast as it can. The other will build GLib. Then what do we have?

I made a tentative dotmap that can support us somewhat and remotely looks like a ring.
A few fishing villages for commerce support and the occacional worker and warrior. We need lots of both! Archers will do nothing against Leg's. Get IW ASAP and take closest source at all cost.
Typically we won't have a source in the near mountain range, then what?
Horses, we should try to trade for both as soon we learn Writing.

I'm often a bit paranoid and need the comfort of resources, still I seem to survive now and again even without them :) But with Rome as a neighbour, I'm not happy.

My idea of dots, not much to chose from really, but perhaps you guys can move them around to make it look better?

Next settler should generally move AGAINST the AI as they do to us, but with a wonder in sight, the next town should be 2 N of Carthage to get the BG, which would be an extra shield for Leptis Magma.

The following settler should grab the dyes.

If we can get 1.5-2 workers per city we be in a good position.

Buy every worker available!

akots, stop contradict yourself :) "Traded Masonry to Germany for worker+25g." But you did right, free supported workers are more important than obsolete techs. I like it.

So there, wonder what the other saves are like? :D

I like the dot map provided a slightly more dense build to the west. Just put as many cities as we can reasonably to produce workers to improve/join the wonder city and deal with swamp and jungle rapidly. It's all grassland underneath!

IMO, Rome is not dangerous. We have NM to counter the legions. Suported with cats, occasional archers and walls, we would handle them without problems. Lets build up first and then see how it goes.

Originally posted by grahamiam
... you'll get "buyer's remorse" worse than my wife's when she buys furniture

Yes, furniture is tough. My wife buys it and I get the buyer's remorse. It all ends up peacefully in most cases however. I tried to exchange a couple of items, went to the store but what they advertised as a better stuff was usually gone before my appearance there. So, have to live with all that clumsy (IMO, she likes that) chairs and huge beds walking by the wall.

Originally posted by akots
Yes, furniture is tough. My wife buys it and I get the buyer's remorse. It all ends up peacefully in most cases however. I tried to exchange a couple of items, went to the store but what they advertised as a better stuff was usually gone before my appearance there. So, have to live with all that clumsy (IMO, she likes that) chairs and huge beds walking by the wall.
haha :lol: i see i'm not the only one!

Top Bottom