1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Grammar, Style and the Colopedia

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Kendon, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Kendon

Kendon Warlord

I’ve taken a quick scan through Achievements and it’s really good. I’ll give it a more careful read but I agree this file is largely done.

As for the capitalization I like how you’re doing it now. Checking my newspaper I see just the first word in a phrase capitalized, unless it’s every letter of every word. What I tried didn’t really create the graphic effect I’d wanted. I’ll stick to how you’ve done it.

There’s one small change I was ready to make at lines 1524 and 1530, only because it hurts me to see my national rodent described as ugly. I was going to use a completely different scenario, one which is arguably more important historically. The header becomes ‟The Mad Hatter”. Here’s the body text.

Our furrier is turning into a mad hatter. His hands twitch, he talks fast and his words make even less sense than usual.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Hats more than coats are his business now, fashionable top hats for high society and dignitaries. He uses mercury to get a good stiff felted fabric.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Could fumes from the mercury explain his weird behaviour?[NEWLINE]

2. Fürstbischof

Fürstbischof Chieftain

Ok, let's do it this way. I leave the file in your hands. ;)

Depending upon the size of the font full capitalisation doesn't really help the readability. While revising the event texts of VIP it took me quite some time to de-cap those...
    Ah, now I see where you were heading with that new headline... Please, go ahead. :D

ATM I'm revising the CIV4GameText_Colonization_DiplomacyText_utf8.xml file and its diplomacy texts. The supportive colouring is already done. Now I'm looking at the Royal diplomacy texts which will be fully translated (including Italian & Spanish). The Native diplomacy texts will probably follow soon.

Afterwards I'm planning to bring the text files related to founding fathers, leaders and civs up-to-date with your latest changes. Fixing the spelling of names was only the starting point for working on these files.

re Italian and Spanish texts the guiding line for me is to keep their English 'texts' if these are just names, e.g. buildings, units etc. Short sentences and longer texts are regularly deleted.

3. Kendon

Kendon Warlord

You're right. Thanks. I've changed it.

4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

@Kendon @Fürstbischof
    Thanks a lot for taking care of the texts in such high quality and by self initiative. :thumbsup:

5. Fürstbischof

Fürstbischof Chieftain

@Kendon
    TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_ONE_WEAVERS_HOUSE_
    Harvestman is actually the correct name of the insect which in German is called Weberknecht (wikipedia: Opiliones). It's a play on words which works nicely in German (Weberin vs Weberknecht), but not necessarily in English.

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

And if you rename it to a longlegged Daddy and play on the 5 half-orphans threading the loom who will not have their daddy return? ^^

7. Kendon

Kendon Warlord

I wondered about Harvestman. In English I couldn't make the connection. Piecework evokes poverty despite hard work, something that doesn't change until later in the Industrial Revolution and in many cases continues as a business model today. I still like Piecework as the English header. It's also there in the same scenario.

I see how the bug joke works in German but if we try it in English it's going to look forced.

8. Kendon

Kendon Warlord

I rewrote the last line. There were two final words. With luck it's all in the frame now.

raystuttgart likes this.
  9. Kendon

Kendon Warlord

While playing I was distracted by the asterisk, not too much, but as promised a single keystroke eliminated 170 of them once I saw extended characters had to be added to the search and replace.

So far in my game the English text looks good. I’ve done just one commit since the 3.01 release, ‟an” instead of ‟a” when the Native village educates a settler, usually with an Expert skill. It’s wrong now for Seasoned Scout but on balance it feels like an improvement.

It's a real relief to do fine tuning instead of wholesale changes.

raystuttgart likes this.