Group F - World Cup 2010

Harbourboy,

I don't know if NZ regularly plays 3-4-3, but as it's not a common formation, I assume mr. Herbert correctly expected a 4-4-2, and played the most uncomfortable system against it. Good for the team that they adapted well. Then an early goal was the break to maximize the effect. (Not sure if it was changed through the game: I'm not familiar with the subs, and the fact that NZ was defending the result did not help matters for me).

But it's simple, really: three-men defences mean that the two side MFs will come to help covering when needed, thus leaving the three backs free to take care of the strikers relatively free from all worry while enjoying a numerical majority. Conversely, three men forward mean that the opposing side backs can't really support the team's attack - numbers, again.
So, to say it whole, I believe you were more flexible, and got the good recipe for the game. Mr. Herbert did his homework better than Lippi, and definitely won the managerial duel in the game.
And the high balls? Hey, that's playing to one's strengths! If Messi could only devote spare time from a day job to the game, would he dribble as he does? :)

I believe the 3-4-3 has been New Zealand's preferred formation for a while now.

Yes - that's right - it wasn't a specific Italy focused strategy. It's more like what you have to do in your kid's teams when you have to play your best 11 players because you don't have anyone else - and if 3 of them happen to be strikers then you're stuck playing 3 up front.

But yes, the entire team gets paid less than some of the single players in other teams. And our coach gets paid about NZD50k, which is about the same as what a high school teacher earns. So he has to hold down two jobs, as he also coaches the Phoenix team that plays in the Australian league.

I was refering to this
A glorious point for New Zealand against dirty Italy!

Christ's balls man, lighten up. I rather believe it is people who take idle comments to heart too quickly who have the greatest effect upon forum atmosphere.

1-0 for Slovakia!

Just as happy to see Italy go down as with France :clap:

boring first half, eek slovakia are winning. So New Zealand have to score a goal to go through. (if we draw 0-0 and they draw 1-1 we are screwed)

The ITV commentators are such morons. :lol: At the end of the half they were going on about how the Italy score means a win for New Zealand would make NZ go through (a win for NZ would mean they go through irrespective of the result in the other group ;) ).

well, thats because the all whites play in all black today. :p
a fact i cannot bear to hear about anymore. and that's just after the first half, watching a conference that mainly focuses on italy-slovakia...

Please Slovakia, beat Italy.

I honestly don't see how Italy can get back from this... But then again we know Italy almost always finds a way through.

@Sofista: Very good analysis, I agree that Italy's play style always fares better against top-flight teams than underdogs, and thus we see Italy struggling in the group stages and shinning in the K.O. rounds.

Cmon NZ! I wanna be able to cheer for someone from the Antipodes!
And I second Godwynn's comment.

And its 2-0 Slovakia! Go Slovakia go!

Blue isn't a very successful colour this WC, it seems :ack:

fight fight fight fight!

Top Bottom