Harald Hardrada

I'm well aware that Nidaros was the capital at the time, but since HH basically founded Oslo as a city/kaupstad and administrative centre, and since Oslo is today's capital, it would make a lot of sense to use it in the game as well. But yeah it depends on if it will be a pure viking civ or a mix.

One possible UA that has not been mentioned is some sort of diplomatic ability from having the Nobel Peace Prize as a norwegian responsibility, also facilitated negotiations in several international conflicts (for example the Oslo Accords in the Israel/Palestine conflict), however that might be somewhat against the viking theme, also Sweden already had a Nobel-related UA in CiV.

I didn't see any Isabella's on that list :hmm:

probably Norway - Norse, rather than Norwegian, being the adjective.

Also, I do not mind the eurocentrism tbh. All of the European civs in the base game are staples anyway and when it comes down to the non-European civs we got two new ones, leaving plenty of opportunities for more. :)

No, Norwegian is fine too. Norse does not always refer to Norwegians, sometimes to Scandinavia in general, for example the Viking Gods are often refered to as Norse Gods, when they were obviously worshipped in other regions too.

Oh, I would be pleased if the Norse got special pantheon choices based on Odin etc.

You can whine about Eurocentrism all you want, but I want mah VIKINGS!

If there is another naval UU, Firaxis seems to hope that naval battles are much more a thing in Civ VI. I wonder why. Why not the berserk again? And how about a unique harbor or encampment district (longhouse)? Yes, I know, those are all clichées.

I think Beserk really ought to be some sort of religious unit, if the base game allows. I'd prefer Drakar or Hirdmann. Trelleborg (ring fort) would make a cool unique district (Dennmark).

Too many Europeans...

What's worse is that the next expansion would also need to be filled with Europeans to spur sales.

Persia, Ottomans even SE Asian civs, nothing in the base game. So disappointed.

I'm well aware that Nidaros was the capital at the time, but since HH basically founded Oslo as a city/kaupstad and administrative centre, and since Oslo is today's capital, it would make a lot of sense to use it in the game as well. But yeah it depends on if it will be a pure viking civ or a mix

Germans have Aachen, so Nidaros is possible.

I'm not sure if Harald Hardrada will be the leader for Norway or for the Norse. I guess Cnut will not be the leader for Denmark if it is added, they will probably go for a later leader for Denmark and Sweden.

I'm not sure if Harald Hardrada will be the leader for Norway or for the Norse. I guess Cnut will not be the leader for Denmark if it is added, they will probably go for a later leader for Denmark and Sweden.

Denmark could be Magrethe I, who United Norway, Denmark and Sweden into Kalmar Union.

Sweden could be Gustav I Vasa, first modern Swedish King

Excellent choice. A Viking we will go with HH. :)

Vikings atleast represent something else then the early modern colony powers France, England and Spain. Yes they are european but in terms of representation they represent something else.

Never think the Norse/Vikings weren't colonizers!

Greece, Rome, France, England, Germany, Spain and Russia. Those are the core of Europe in Civ.
I would be fine with Vikings if the game shipped with 26 civs and already had many different areas covered.
But with 18 I definitely would not pick the Vikings over Inca, Maya, Ethiopia, Siam, Khmer, Mali, Indonesia, Georgia (yes, really, at least it would have been new) or Persia.
Persia ! Has there ever been a Civ that didn't have Persia from the start ?

And to add insult to injury, it seems Poland, the one European civ outside of the core that I was really excited about is DLC.

personally, I just don't understand how they can leave out of the game, civs like Ottoman. They ruled a big part of the world for so long, destroyed what was left from Byzantium , they were feared, many nations had to kneel before them.

And on the other hand, they prioritized two greek city-states ( sparta and Athens ) to ship in the vanilla game.
Worse, they didn't even include Persia/iran which has been one of the greatest empire in the history which has reborned 3 times.
At least, Athens has influenced the world with their culture but what has left sparta to be prioritized ?

Moderator Action: Please remember that this thread is about Harald, not other civs that aren't in the game. Please stay on topic.

personally, I just don't understand how they can leave out of the game, civs like Ottoman. They ruled a big part of the world for so long, destroyed what was left from Byzantium , they were feared, many nations had to kneel before them.

Some are added, some not - that's always how it was in civ games. More civs will be added later. In a year we'll have our Persia, Mongols, Ottomans and Incas.

And on the other hand, they prioritized two greek city-states ( sparta and Athens ) to ship in the vanilla game.
Worse, they didn't even include Persia/iran which has been one of the greatest empire in the history which has reborned 3 times.
At least, Athens has influenced the world with their culture but what has left sparta to be prioritized ?

The chances of Athens and Sparta being separate civs are nearly zero. Pericles and Gorgo are 2 leaders for Greece civ.

Top Bottom