Heretic_Cata's All in One Mod - Expansion

everett said:
Hi all ,
i'm new in this forum,and happy that i've discovered.I immediately download this mod and play...but...in large and huge map it seems that rivers are really rare.
It my mistake or what ?
Welcome to the forum! [party] And what a fine place to have your first post. :goodjob:

Maybe it's just chance ... the random map generator does these kinds of things sometimes.
Did you choose any of these: arid/cool/3 billion years ? If you did then there are normally fewer rivers.
But it's ok you have no/few rivers around; it's more challenging. :D

(i always play arid & cool & 3billion btw, it's more fun :D)

Heretic_Cata said:
Did you choose any of these: arid/cool/3 billion years ? If you did then there are normally fewer rivers.

if to be true i always play wet/warm/4 billion

everett said:
if to be true i always play wet/warm/4 billion
I don't like that, too many jungles. :p

One thing is sure tho, i did not change anything about the frequency of rivers in my mod. Because there isn't any way this can be changed.
So it must have been a random glitch.

yeah...i know about jungles...
but i'm so lazy and i like to put the city near the rivers.
Anyway i will continue to play ; one more question , are you still working about the balance of this mod ? I mean about the small and great wonders that you introduce

everett said:
Anyway i will continue to play ; one more question , are you still working about the balance of this mod ? I mean about the small and great wonders that you introduce
The new wonders i am going to add ? Or the old ones ?
About the ones that are in the game now, well, i should be balancing them a bit. But i didn't play/build all of them to know which needs balancing. That's one of the purposes of this thread.
Any suggestions might be nice ...

Note: for obscure reasons i may not want to balance some of them. :)mischief:)

After Heretic_Cata’s hard work on this mod, I figured he deserved some praise and feedback. Believe it or not, this post started off as just a “This mod is great, thanks for it!” note. But it metastasized. (Oh boy, did it get long.) I guess it’s now a full-blown review; I hope this is the right place to put it.

First, another disclaimer: I’m new to Civ 3 mods, so if I said “This is the best C3C mod I’ve ever played,” it would be pretty meaningless. Instead, here’s a more meaningful line: I’m going to be playing Heretic_Cata’s mod far more often than the standard engine. The mod is that good. Here’s what I love about it, point by point:

It has a high replayability. Let’s face it: The civilizations in Civ I and Civ II were pretty interchangeable. Sure, the Zulus were pushier neighbors than the Egyptians, and God help you if the Mongols camped just over the next mountain range. But for the player himself there wasn’t anything to choose from between the civs. Civ III went a long way toward fixing that with the civ traits, but there was a downside: If your play style depends heavily on tactics that are enhanced by one or two traits, you tend to get locked into playing the same few civs over and over again. So all my Civ III adventures have mostly been an endless round of Egyptians, Persians, and Americans. (Yes, I dig the Industrious trait.) But Heretic_Cata enhances civ idiosyncrasies with added civ-specific wonders and improvements, which makes it far more tempting to jump out of the old ruts, just so you can see what amazing stuff your usual competitors get to play with.

It has ingenious new wonders, improvements, and resources. Besides being clever and useful, such new civ-specific wonders as “The Golden Horde” or “The Temple of Shiva” show a fine appreciation for what makes real-world civilizations distinctive. But the mod goes further with a whole host of new city improvements—most of them keyed to specific resources. This makes city production decisions a lot more fun; every city’s queue is not an identical run of Temple Marketplace Barracks Courthouse Library Aqueduct Bank Cathedral University Colosseum Factory, punctuated only by the occasional unit or settler/worker build. This device also makes resources—especially the luxury resources—more important. Yeah, in the standard game it’s great to have five Fur or six Incense; or, rather, it’s great to have the surplus if the other civs will give you something good for them, and if they don’t then that surplus is just wasted. Now, however, if that surplus is spread out among several cities, you can at least get some neat improvements out of them. It also gives you more incentive to trade with other civs in order to get access to their resources.

The mod also shows ingenuity with the negative bonuses attached to wonders and improvements. Some of these can put you in a real dilemma. The Slave Market, for instance, gives a nice production boost. But, aside from any moral qualms you might feel—and, truth to tell, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to build the Anti-Semitism small wonder!—can your city really handle the unhappiness it generates? And what if Leonardo’s Workshop goes kaboom? (It did that to me. Yeah, I got kinda pissed, but I cheerfully admit that this very powerful Wonder needs a downside, and that’s a brilliant downside to give it.) It’s also nice that most of these negative bonuses come in the form of increased unhappiness rather than pollution. The mod has sufficient improvements to let you offset higher unhappiness ratings in the long run. Pollution (my number one bete noir in all the Civ games) is always with you.

(BTW, I don’t mean my crack about Anti-Semitism as a criticism of the mod. It’s a brilliant addition, and I was ROTFL when I first found out I could build it. Besides, I’m really glad this mod eschews the Roddenberry-esque “Gee, humanity is just wonderful” vibe radiated by the standard game. I also love such playful additions as the Holy Hand Grenade and other quasi-magical intrusions in the early ages.)

The new “negative” resources, like Oil Spills and Shipwrecks, are more of a nuisance than a hindrance, and I think more could be done with them—more on that later. But they’ve got a real sparkle to them conceptually. I mean, say what you will about the production loss, but I think every landscape is improved by the presence of some Haunted Ruins.

Also welcome are more Wonders that put standard city improvements in all cities. I rejoice in the Forum and Supreme Court of Justice wonders, for instance. By putting courthouses in every city, they solve a Civ weakness that has bugged me for a long time: the cities that need courthouses the most are the ones it is most difficult and expensive to build them in. The Eiffel Tower is another welcome addition, though its late placement means it’s most useful when you’re playing world-conqueror in the game’s late stages.

More Wonders and improvements auto-build units. Civ III, especially in its middle stages, raises the old guns-vs.-butter dilemma, but this mod solves it. I love the fact that, if you’re lucky enough to have or secure the right resources, you can build a respectable (though not overwhelming) army just by having one or two cities invest in some reasonably priced small wonders.

Now, I can hear the objections already: The guns-vs.-butter dilemma is an inescapable part of the Civ experience; you have to balance between them and sometimes make difficult choices. That’s true, and it’s a valid point. But the concept of an auto-producing city improvement is too good to pass up; and C3C opened the door with the Statue of Zeus and Knights Templar. Having only two such wonders in the game, however, can itself be unbalancing. I had the misfortune in my last C3C game to be next door to a civ that built both the Statue and the Knights, and lemme tell you, it was damned unpleasant. If I hadn’t seen the problem coming and nearly throttled my own economic and scientific progress by throwing every city into Knights and Trebuchet production for about 30 turns, I would have been overwhelmed. So adding many more unit-producing wonders (most of which are small wonders) actually brings back some balance. But I should also admit that my liking this change goes back to my play style. As a “builder/perfectionist,” I like being able to concentrate on city development without worrying that my civ is, militarily speaking, swinging naked in the breeze.

Ships are improved. Giving industrial-age ships more movement points may be a consequence of Heretic_Cata’s preference for Large or Huge maps, but it’s nice to have even on smaller maps. I mean, anything is better than a screw-driven warship that can only manage 6 squares in a turn. It reflects my biases more than anything else, but this change still gets a big thumb’s up from me. I’m also glad to see Privateers getting more hit points, which makes them more useful.

The graphics are gorgeous. I guess the credit here properly goes to Ares de Borg, but all praise to Heretic_Cata for using his package. The game-provided graphics have always been more functional than beautiful; the graphics gathered for this mod make each game look like a truly miniature world. This is probably less important for hard-core Civ warriors who only look at grasslands as a place to mine shields. But for “builders” like me, who like to see desert wastes blossom into gardens, the graphic pack makes the sometimes tedious middle stages of the game, when I concentrate on land improvement, extremely rewarding.

Granted, you can change the graphics for the standard game with a graphics package; the point is that this mod makes the dynamite changes for you.

(Full disclosure: I have since customized my own copy of this mod by substituting ahenobarb/Cilpot’s “suburb” mines, tweaking the pollution graphic, and making my own railroads. Again, I don’t mean this as an implicit criticism of Heretic_Cata’s choices; they inspired me.)

Okay, that’s a lot of praise. Is there anything that doesn’t work or that needs improvement?

Not really, though I did stumble over a few issues that seem like glitches rather than problems. I’ll talk about them at the end. For now I’ll only mention two issues that give me pause.

The Conjuror. It’s a neat idea, but I’m slightly skeptical of its military utility. In the three games I’ve played, I’ve only built the Conjuror in one and didn’t get much use out of him; my other military units were quite sufficient, thank you, for handling my ancient/medieval enemies. And by the time Tanks and Artillery came along, I could brush aside enemy Conjurors almost as though they were Spearmen.

Now, that probably has something to do with my play style; I usually go on the warpath only late in the game, and I do my best to stay friendly with my neighbors until I’m ready to Rommelize their asses with an armored blitz. Other players might get more use out of it; I’ll only note that players of my sensibility can sidestep the Conjuror with all the élan of Bugs Bunny dodging a maddened bull.

More serious is the “hole” the Conjuror opens for Wonder production.

In Civ III, Sid Meier’s team went out of their way to stop us from using “runaway production” to save shields spent on Wonders that rivals got to first. If you had spent 300 shields for the Sun Tzu wonder but the Hittites built it first, that was tough: you either shifted it to another Wonder or (more likely) you lost it by building a granary or something almost equally pointless. But the Conjuror costs 1000 shields, more than any wonder in the regular game or (I believe) in this mod. This means that when someone else grabs the only wonder you can build, you can “save” your investment by switching it to a Conjuror and trying to get the next Wonder-bestowing tech advance pronto. Again, you might “lose” shields if you’ve built a stockpile of 700 or 800 shields in the meantime. But being able to build JS Bach’s Cathedral or Adam Smith’s Trading Post in one turn is psychically salving for the wastage. And if you don’t get that new tech in time? Well, at least you’ve got a Conjuror out of the deal.

Now, I actually like this “hole.” But I’m not certain whether it is intended, and I have to admit that I’m not sure it’s in the spirit of the game. But I’ll make a suggestion: It might be best to lower the Conjuror cost to, say, 300 shields in order to close off this cheat. This might also have the effect of making the Conjuror more militarily significant by making it more plentiful.

Settlers and Serfs/Workers/Colonists/Engineers. These are more expensive than in the regular game; Engineers, in particular, are hideously expensive, both in terms of population and shield production.

Our mod author has explained his reasoning behind this choice:

Heretic_Cata said:
The main reason for the upgrade is to slow the production of workers. (it's one of Rhye's dirty tricks for slowing the settler&worker overcrowding of the map)
I really hate it when the computer/player has a 20+ stack of workers that he uses to make anything in 1 turn.

Similar to this, there is no logic to upgrading a settler to a colonist. The colonist simply costs more.
I did because i hate the "settler factories" strategy.
It's really annoying when at the second half of the 2nd age, the huge-pangeea map is FULL of cities.
I won't have that crap in my mod.

I applaud this intent; I have the same furious hatred of city-heavy continents early in the game. In fact, I’d prefer to have a map with large empty spaces as late as the Industrial era, so that you could get a Colonization-type era going. But if Heretic_Cata’s device has slowed urban sprawl, I’ve not noticed it. Or maybe the effect is less subtle than I would like: I mean, I would really like to see it slowed. The problem, I suspect, is that the handicap can be too quickly overcome with improvements; if you irrigate the land around your original core cities and build granaries, it’s almost as easy for cities to get up to the 4-pop level as to the 3-pop level.

Raising the bar on Engineers so prohibitively high also doesn’t seem to do much; by the time the game has advanced to the point Engineers are available, most of the land is already settled. This means that Engineers are useful only as terrain-improvers. Why is it so important to keep terrain improvement on a tight leash?

Making Engineers super-expensive has three consequences, none of which I suspect Heretic_Cata intends. First, while this might slow the computer civs’ terrain improvement down, the player himself is not handicapped if he anticipates this cost; he has only to invest heavily in Serfs early in the game. For instance, I’ve always tried for at least 1 worker per city, and usually more like 2 workers for every 3 cities. In this mod, I’ve been trying for a serf-to-city ratio of 2:1, knowing that I’ll be grateful in the late stages for the redundancy. Second, the real penalty comes not by slowing down your ability to build railroads or irrigate marginal land, but by not being able to keep pollution under control. And third, captured Serfs (especially those from extinct civs) are tremendously valuable for building up cities. Being slow, they’re useless for working terrain, but if you upgrade them to Engineers and add them to an existing city, you can pop its population by 9 points.

These aren’t crippling problems. At worst, as I’ve mentioned, they force you to adapt by churning out Serfs early in the game; and the last point is actually an advantage, though one probably not intended. Since I’m not certain of how far Heretic_Cata intends to ****** the old “infinite city sprawl” problem, I’m reluctant to offer suggested remedies. But I’ll take my courage in both hands and toss out two modest suggestions and one radical one.

The first modest suggestion is to add a fifth, late-in-the-game, worker-only unit (“Construction Crew,” or something like that). Its Engineer-like shield cost would make it expensive to produce; its low population cost (1 or 2) would make it insignificant as a population-enhancer; and it couldn’t contribute to urban sprawl because it couldn’t build cities. If you really need the terrain-enhancers, you could get them as long as you’re willing to suck it up and pay the shield or treasury cost, but you wouldn’t cripple your late-stage cities.

I have no idea if my second modest suggestion is doable, but I have seen mods and scenarios with this property, so here it is: Make jungles and mountains impassable terrain. Currently, the mod makes it impossible to build cities in a jungle square, which keeps jungles “clean” until late in the game. Making the terrain actually impassable would be an even stronger constraint that might close off whole sections of continents. Of course, it has other effects, too: it can trap a civ as effectively as if it were on another continent.

The really radical suggestion: Raise the population cost on Settlers early in the game to 5 or 6, not 3. This would slow things down to the point where even massive irrigation couldn’t make a real difference. To be really evil, you might even raise the population cost to 7, so that only cities bordering a river or possessing an aqueduct could build Settlers. This would be historically accurate, as riverine civilizations were the ones that first really showed urban development on a widespread basis. To correct the extreme bias this would create against civs without a river by their starting location, you might introduce a very early and very cheap small wonder that would auto-produce Settlers at a rate that would keep them competitive with the river-based civs. I’ll speculate shamelessly that such a “steppe civ” would fix on a strategy not so different from that of the historical Magyars, Bulgars, Franks, etc., and crank out nomadic military units until it had a Settler base large enough to support a settled existence. But, of course, whether the AI would be smart enough to build this wonder in its cities is not mine to guess, since I don’t know what tricks you can do with the C3C editor.

(Oh, and why do I not know what you can do in a mod? Because I’m playing on a Mac. Our old Civ3 editor sucks, and if our edition of C3C comes with an editor, I haven’t been able to find it.)

While I’m offering the suggestions of a frustrated mod-maker, here are a few random “lightbulbs” that went off over my head while playing the game.

1. Civilizations can actually be stimulated by adversity, so how about adding improvements that actually make use of negative resources? Off the top of my head, just to illustrate the suggestion: (a) cities with Haunted Ruins could (with Free Artistry) build happiness-producing Poetry Cafes catering to all those Romantic poets who like swooning around moonlit ruins; (b) cities with Shipwrecks could (with Magnetism) build the Francis Drake small wonder that auto-produces Privateers (that prey on shipwreck victims); (c) cities with Oil Spills could (with Recycling) build pollution-combating Sewage Plants.

2. I hate pollution, and would really like to see a small wonder that puts Mass Transit or Recycling in every city.

3. I’d be curious to see how Phall1007’s Colonialism mod would interact with this one. Both seem to rely on the idea being able to build new cities late in the game, while recognizing that such cities, which are often very distant from the capital, are often pretty useless. It would also mirror the historically accurate fact that distant cities (especially those settled on far-off continents or annexed from other civs) have been treated as milch cows. You also wouldn’t have to look after them so closely.

Finally, there are a couple of problems that might only be glitches. At least, I’d be surprised if they were intended.

The Civpedia says that the Dora Railgun, the Fireball, and the Cruise Missile can move. However, I cannot get them to move in my games. The railgun is completely rooted to the city that builds it; it cannot move; it cannot be airlifted; it cannot be loaded into a ship. Being expensive, it’s likely only to be built in core cities; and if I’m ever in enough trouble that my core cities need to use their railguns, then I’m in enough trouble that railguns won’t save me. Meanwhile, cruise missiles can be airlifted or carried in boats. But if they can’t move by land, they’re almost too tedious to build and use. And that makes the otherwise delightful Aerospace Industry improvement just as useless. Fireballs aren’t the most useful unit, either, but at least their long range makes them useful unless your Altar of Fire wonder in a city maximally distant from your nearest enemies—as it was with me in my latest game.

The Civpedia also says that the Cannon Foundry can only be built in the capital. However, like every other auto-producing artillery improvement, it can actually be built in any city. I gather that the Civpedia is still a work in progress; I suspect the Civpedia is in error here.

In none of the games I’ve played have I tried building the spaceship. However, I have noticed that SS parts become available in the production queue as their techs are researched, even without building the Space Program wonder. It seems to me that this is either a glitch, or the Space Program is redundant.

There are a several typos that pop up in the game. I’m a former copyeditor by profession, so these bother me more than they’ll bother most people. To tell the truth, I can live with “preety” for “pretty” (in the Civpedia entry for the Terrorist unit) and almost every other typo I’ve spotted. But there’s one that just sticks in my eyeball every time I open the production queue: the city improvement Artillery Foundry is spelled “Artilery Foundry.” Also, the “Leonardo’s Workshop has exploded” message actually refers to the “Nuclear Power Plant.” I don’t know if this can be fixed, but I’ll point it out in case it can be. If I hadn’t noticed the warning in the Civpedia about the Workshop’s tendency to become violently airborne, I’d have been baffled and enraged when it went kablooey.

Okay, this has been way too long, so I’ll shut up now. So I’ll just close again by saying what an awesome mod this is. It’s almost like having a completely new edition of C3C. Thanks so much for the work and ingenuity.

Well, this post was supposed to be just a "Holy Mother of God" post. :)
This is the perfect place for a review.

(i'll keep the quotes shorter)
Mxzs said:
I’m going to be playing Heretic_Cata’s mod far more often than the standard engine.
One of my goals with this mod was just that, to upgrade the normal epic game, NOT to make a completley different mod that would be to distant from the normal game.

mxzs said:
(BTW, I don’t mean my crack about Anti-Semitism as a criticism of the mod. It’s a brilliant addition, and I was ROTFL when I first found out I could build it.
What's also funny about it is that you always get this message when you can build it:
"Our people want to build Anti-semitism maybe we should ..." :lol:
mxzs said:
Besides, I’m really glad this mod eschews the Roddenberry-esque “Gee, humanity is just wonderful” vibe radiated by the standard game.
My vision on life in general is quite grimm ... so it radiated in the game.
mxzs said:
I also love such playful additions as the Holy Hand Grenade and other quasi-magical intrusions in the early ages.)
Those are meant to be the "WTF is that doing in this mod ? That's strange, i should build it to see what it does."
I love the fact that, if you’re lucky enough to have or secure the right resources, you can build a respectable (though not overwhelming) army just by having one or two cities invest in some reasonably priced small wonders.
They are all meant to be used only in the right place at the right time.
Ships are improved.
I was pissed as well when in the normal game, a big shot battleship has to crawl it's way through the sea.
The graphics are gorgeous.
Yes, it's the merit of Ares the Borg. Mine is the first completed mod to use his terrain pack tho. :D
He is working on a new terrain pack, and i will change it into that when it will be done. (from the screenies it looks even better than the current one:goodjob:)
Again, I don’t mean this as an implicit criticism of Heretic_Cata’s choices; they inspired me.
I'm glad to have inspired you. :)
More serious is the “hole” the Conjuror opens for Wonder production.
But I’ll make a suggestion: It might be best to lower the Conjuror cost to, say, 300 shields in order to close off this cheat. This might also have the effect of making the Conjuror more militarily significant by making it more plentiful.
Umm... well ... it wasn't intended. :blush: (but several good things in the game weren't intended :mischief:)
I'll have to dwell on that suggestion ... but i might have to lower the conjurer's stats a bit ... Dunno, i'll think about this ...
Engineers
The engineers are meant to almost halt the building of new cities later in the game. I mean how many cities are founded today ?
I applaud this intent; I have the same furious hatred of city-heavy continents early in the game. In fact, I’d prefer to have a map with large empty spaces as late as the Industrial era, so that you could get a Colonization-type era going. But if Heretic_Cata’s device has slowed urban sprawl, I’ve not noticed it. Or maybe the effect is less subtle than I would like: I mean, I would really like to see it slowed. The problem, I suspect, is that the handicap can be too quickly overcome with improvements; if you irrigate the land around your original core cities and build granaries, it’s almost as easy for cities to get up to the 4-pop level as to the 3-pop level.
I also saw this ... but not exactly ... In the first era i didn't see major slow-downs, but the late second era-early 3rd seemed to be going slower. I did get to the 4th age with empty spaces of land around. (it was a 60% pangeea with 6 players tho)
But it sure is better than the normal game settler bloom.
Why is it so important to keep terrain improvement on a tight leash?
I didn't have many problems with this in the games i played. But this was mainly because i was gradually upgrading workers&serfs and NEVER building any engineers.
Also, engineers have a faster worker rate (and after you get Replaceable parts it gets fast enough IMHO).
Second, the real penalty comes not by slowing down your ability to build railroads or irrigate marginal land, but by not being able to keep pollution under control.
Why not ? :hmm: I don't get this part.

/End of first part of reply.
I only slept for about 2 hours last night (insomnia or smthing) so i'll comment on the rest of the review tomorrow morning.
BRB :D

I'm back.

About the conjurer - he will cost a lot less, the pop cost is enough of a cost anyway. I didn't decide how much i will lower his stats tho ...
About the engineer - the only thing i decided so far is to remove the Join City from him and the Colonist.
The first modest suggestion
With the above decision i solved the 9 pop problem.
I thought about this ... but the 9 pop cost encourages upgrading serfs & workers, which is preety expensive (even with Leonardo).
It is unrealistic for late age cities to be crippled by building a Engineer for terrain improvs, but the way i see it, improving terrain is "mostly" over when you get engineers. I said mostly because polution and railroads are still an issue.
I also considered increasing their worker rate. But they seemed to work fast enough in the games i played so far. (in small stacks they do mostly anything in 1-2 turns).
second modest suggestion
This is doable. I saw it working very well in the mystara mod, and i loved it.
I did consider implementing this in my mod, but it's huge not modest.
The time consuming part would be rechecking all the units and decide who can pass. The other part would be that it changes the mod a LOT.
Personally, i would want to add this in my mod, but not in such a drastic way as it is in mystara. I might do something close to this. But just might.
The really radical suggestion
In the alpha & beta versions of the game that never got to the forum the pop cost of the settler was 4. I usually played with 4-8 civs, and EVERY TIME at least 1 civ was stuck because it could not build settlers. And do you know what they were doing the whole game ? (i kept one of them alive in my borders to analise it) He was building spearmen and disbanding them CONTINOUSLY.
Now, about the settler producing wonder. It sounds good, but i am sure the AI would not build it. (except maybe by accident) And there is no way to change this with the editor, the AI stays stupid no matter what.

But now that you mention it i think there is a way to make the river civs stronger. I could add some sort of cheap "river grannary" - of some sort.
On second thought, river civs have a big enough advantage as it is, i don't think they need more. Even if it means it's not very realistic.
a few random “lightbulbs”
That is a great idea, and i would love to add it. But all the negative resources are Bonus resources, and the editor doesn't allow anything to require a bonus resource. :cry:
In my Big Mod idea, i wanted to add Wheat Farms, Tobbaco Plantation type of improvs, but it couldn't be done.
But now that you mentioned privateer spawning buildings, you should know that in my big patch that will be coming the "Vitalian Brotherhood" will do that.
2.Your wish is my command. :)

The modern age is an "incomplete" part of my mod. This is mostly due to everyone saying that they rarely reach the 4th age. One of the things i wanted to add was a tech "Nuclear War" or "Radioactive Fallout" where i would add some things from the fallout mod. (among other things)

:hmm: It does seem like a great idea, but it will just be another human player exploit, and yet another reason why my mod works better in multiplayer. Dunno about this, i'll dwell on it a bit.
The Civpedia says that the Dora Railgun, the Fireball, and the Cruise Missile can move.
I checked the civilopedia ... if you are talking about the "Movement: 1" part, there is no way i can change that and no way of preventing it from apearing.In the editor you can't put 0 at movement, but you can put the immoblie tag, which is what those units have.
About railguns: theoreticaly, they should move on rails only ... but that's not possible. Anyway, they might not save you, but they will annoy you ;). I am talking about the AI who seems to build them. I was cursing the rail gun repeatedly when a surgical-capital-blitzkrieg-wondercapturing-strike was severely halted by the railguns ... but not those in the capital, their range made it easy for those in neighbouring cities to bombard me relentlessly. My offensive was halted because my units were to battered to last the 2 turns i calculated it took to conquer the capital.
Btw, you just gave me an idea on how to make the railgun stronger. :evil:
About the cruise missile: i think i'll allow them to move then.
But you gave me another idea, maybe a fast & cheap land unit that can carry about 5-10 missiles ... maybe. :mischief:
About fireballs: nope, i won't allow those to move. Thinking of multiplayer, i can only imagine how hard it would be to capture the city that holds 10+ fireballs.
About the Cannon Foundry: Before the patch i made, all artilery producing wonders could only be built in the capital. It seems i forgot to erase that part from this one's civilopedia. Thanks for finding it. :goodjob:
However, I have noticed that SS parts become available in the production queue as their techs are researched, even without building the Space Program wonder.
Are you sure :eek: ? I checked in the editor, and everything seems fine. (i didn't even change stuff for Apollo except the name kuz it was to americano-centric)
Can anyone else confirm this ? (i didn't get that far now, and i am sure it was working properly in the beta)
There are a several typos that pop up in the game. I’m a former copyeditor by profession, so these bother me more than they’ll bother most people. To tell the truth, I can live with “preety” for “pretty” (in the Civpedia entry for the Terrorist unit) and almost every other typo I’ve spotted.
Well ... in my defence, english is a second language. :D
But there’s one that just sticks in my eyeball every time I open the production queue: the city improvement Artillery Foundry is spelled “Artilery Foundry.”
Ok, i'm on it.
About Leonardo’s Workshop: Do you mean that you get “Leonardo’s Workshop has exploded” when the a Plant explodes ? Or just the typo. :D Either way, there' not much i could do about it ... I didn't write that message.
Leonardo was a genius, but his followers are clumsy. :mischief:
Okay, this has been way too long, so I’ll shut up now. So I’ll just close again by saying what an awesome mod this is. It’s almost like having a completely new edition of C3C. Thanks so much for the work and ingenuity.
It might have been long, but it was certainly not boring to read. :)

Thank you for writing this review. :worship: :thanx:
It's basicaly the first larger review i got. Thank you also for all the kind words. :)
Feel free to post again anything that might be wrong in my mod, or any suggestions you might have.

Cheers,
Cata

While writing that review, I had almost decided not to make any concrete suggestions. I mean, it’s your mod, and neither I nor anybody else has any business telling you what to put in it. But then I figured, “Hey, if I’m going point out small problems, I should try to be constructive and offer tentative solutions.” I hate it when people are just negative.

Anyway, thanks for taking what I wrote in such a good spirit. In fact, you might have taken what wrote more seriously than I’d intended. But if you’ll allow some second thoughts and reactions … :D

Conjuror. It’s a really cool unit, a neat surprise, and so whether it’s “useful” or not is kind of beside the point. It’s just so bloody evil—in a good way—to have a unit that requires the sacrifice of 13 citizens, regardless of whether the player ever decides to build it. I mean, there are quite a few units in Civ3 and C3C that I never build. *coughhorsemencough*. That’s just my play style. It’ll be the same with the Conjuror, and some people may love it as it is. And if a unit with 20 attack/10 defense/bombardment that costs 1000 shields seems to work playwise, I actually think you should just leave it alone.

As for the “cheat”: Well, maybe you can justify it. Occultism is magic, so if you get runaway production in a city that lets you eventually switch to another wonder, well, that’s just another benefit to giving necromancers the run of your cities! Also, since Occultism takes so long to research, maybe the player should get that cheat as a bit of a reward.

If you still want to limit the cheat, maybe it would be easier and less disruptive to make the Conjuror obsolete at the end of the Medieval Era by having it upgrade to Cavalry. (You’d be an idiot to upgrade your Conjurors, but that’s not the point.) That would shrink the cheat window considerably, and you wouldn’t have to rebalance things by lowering its shield cost and playing with its attack/defense factors. It would also make sense if the dawning of the Industrial Era closed the door on magic.

Anyway, just another idea to toy with. :)

Engineers, etc. It sounds like you’ve made great choices. The population “pop” seems to me like the only thing that needs fixing, and taking away their “join city” attribute does that very neatly. Brilliant!

And I’m sure there is no way to “fine tune” city spread. You could only put a major crimp on it by radically raising the cost of building settlers, which is why I mentioned that possibility in my review. From a game theory point of view, it might be interesting to test drive a mod with super-expensive settlers, but there’s no reason to muck up your mod by incorporating it.

Anyway, the specific effects will probably vary from game to game.

On terrain management: As you wrote, worker speeds are not cripplingly slow, especially in the modern era, and key improvements should have already been made by then. If the player finds he’s short of engineers, it’s his own damn fault and he will just have to suck it up and pay the price. I’m the kind of player who wants worker units to do their jobs as fast as possible, but if you want to slow guys like me down, that’s totally your right. :)

The big hassle with terrain management is pollution, but that’s a Civ3 problem, and has been a Sid Meier’s Civilization problem since Civ1. As for ameliorating it:

mxzs said:
2. I hate pollution, and would really like to see a small wonder that puts Mass Transit or Recycling in every city.

Heretic_Cata said:
2.Your wish is my command

Wow! I’m glad you took my suggestion seriously. And, on reflection, it’s a much smarter way to manage pollution than by messing with Engineer costs and attributes. Excellent!

Other things I’d queried:

Fireballs: It makes sense they don’t move. I figured that was intentional. But because of the Civpedia entry, I thought I’d mention it. :) Thanks for explaining the problem with editing those entries. But it might be worth stating in their description that they don’t move.

Railguns: Ah, I see. I hadn’t run into any enemy railguns in my games, and the few I built never saw action. But in the first two games I was ultra-pacific, and in the third I was so far along that I got a Domination victory almost before anyone else had Tanks. It sound like they’re a strategic weapon whose use the player has to figure out. Cool.

Cruise missiles: I do think they need to be mobile. I like using them, and I used them a lot in my third game, but it was tedious. I had to airlift them to get them to the front, and that gets real old real fast.

But I also think a land transport sounds like the preferable solution. To me, it’s always been weird to see missiles moving around like land units. In my third game, I used my Covert Ops (or maybe it was the Terrorist; I forget) to move a couple of Holy Hand Grenades around, and that just felt right. You know? A missile-carrying land unit, and a missile-carrying sea unit sound like good ideas.

(BTW, since it’s rare for people to get to Robotics and Radar Artillery (which come pretty late in the Modern Era, while Rocketry is one of the first to be grabbed), what about deleting the Radar Artillery and using its graphic as the cruise missile’s land transport unit? Would that be an easy way of making the change?)

On the Space wonder and SS improvements, see the second attached screenshot. Notice that I’d not actually built any SS parts, but I could get a city to build one even as I’m researching Space Flight. But maybe I’m misinterpreting what’s going on.

That’s all I’ve got to say on substance. Okay, now just having fun:

Heretic_Cata said:
In the alpha & beta versions of the game that never got to the forum the pop cost of the settler was 4. I usually played with 4-8 civs, and EVERY TIME at least 1 civ was stuck because it could not build settlers. And do you know what they were doing the whole game ? (i kept one of them alive in my borders to analise it) He was building spearmen and disbanding them CONTINOUSLY.

I’ve noticed that kind of thing in quite a few vanilla C3C games. (I’d estimate that in at least a quarter of the C3C games I’ve played, there’s been at least one civ that does this. In one game I played (on a Large map), there were three or four that stuck themselves in this loop.) I never analyzed why some would do that. But if the problem is high settler cost, then definitely you need to keep the cost away from the super-high-end. Oddly, I’ve never seen this behavior in Civ3 itself. Maybe they fiddled with the AI for C3C and accidentally created the problem? Well, whatever.

Heretic_Cata said:
Now, about the settler producing wonder. It sounds good, but i am sure the AI would not build it. (except maybe by accident) And there is no way to change this with the editor, the AI stays stupid no matter what.

Yeah, that was just the frustrated mod writer in me fantasizing.

Heretic_Cata said:
But all the negative resources are Bonus resources, and the editor doesn't allow anything to require a bonus resource.
In my Big Mod idea, i wanted to add Wheat Farms, Tobbaco Plantation type of improvs, but it couldn't be done.

Crap. I figured there be a catch. :(

BTW, I noticed that the Buddha Shrines are luxury resources, so they tend to cluster in one or two regions, while the Jewish Community, Mosque, Zen Monastery, and Christian Monastery resources are more scattered. I was wondering why you made this choice instead of making them cluster. I can see the JC (reflecting a Diaspora) being spread out, but the others kind of surprise me. It’s nothing that needs fixing. I’m just curious if you had your reasons, or if it was another game engine limitation, like the above.

Heretic_Cata said:
But now that you mentioned privateer spawning buildings, you should know that in my big patch that will be coming the "Vitalian Brotherhood" will do that.

Hurrah!

I’ll say again how great it is that Privateers have more hit points. In my last game I had the time, resources, and extensive port facilities to build massive pirate fleets. Normally I wouldn’t have indulged myself, because Privateers are so weak, even relative to Galleys. But because you upped their hit points, I built nearly fifty of the little spankers and had a grand time terrorizing the sea lanes. (In fact, that strategic island I said I colonized? I built it expressly as a pirate haven. See first of the attached screen grabs.) God, the other civs hated me. :evil: :D

Heretic_Cata said:
The modern age is an "incomplete" part of my mod. This is mostly due to everyone saying that they rarely reach the 4th age. One of the things i wanted to add was a tech "Nuclear War" or "Radioactive Fallout" where i would add some things from the fallout mod. (among other things)

My first two games in your mod I only reached the first tech in the Modern Era. In the third game I did well enough to end with all techs except Space Flight and the techs that followed it. And I was surprised at how unchanged you’d left that era. But yeah, there’s no reason to put any really hard work into the ME. If other people are like me, they’re worn out by the time they reach it anyway.

Heretic_Cata said:
[The Colonisation Mod] does seem like a great idea, but it will just be another human player exploit, and yet another reason why my mod works better in multiplayer.

Right. It seems like a nifty idea, but I’ve not played it yet. My gut tells me it’s a tweak, not a mod, that needs to be folded into a city-limiting mod like yours or Rhye’s in order to really take off. So, actually, I mentioned the idea not because I thought you needed it, but because I thought it needed you! :)

Heretic_Cata said:
Well ... in my defence, english is a second language.

Really, your written English is as good or better than most native speakers. I wouldn’t have known if it was a second language for you if you hadn’t said so. The typos I spotted are ones that anyone could make, and usually do. :)

Heretic_Cata said:
About Leonardo’s Workshop: Do you mean that you get “Leonardo’s Workshop has exploded” when the a Plant explodes ? Or just the typo. Either way, there' not much i could do about it ... I didn't write that message.

Sorry for being unclear. I don’t remember the exact quote. But the message said that something had happened to a “Nuclear Power Plant.” I’m guessing it was actually the Workshop, because that wonder was in the city; you’d warned that bad things might happen with the Workshop; and there was nothing else in the city (like Anti-Semitism) that it might be.

I don’t know if that was a glitch or if it is just hardcoded in.

Heretic_Cata said:
Leonardo was a genius, but his followers are clumsy.

Like the other WTF things you put in, it’s an awesome twist. I love it, even when it pisses me off. :D

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 304
  • spaceship.jpg
    spaceship.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 282
Anyway, thanks for taking what I wrote in such a good spirit. In fact, you might have taken what wrote more seriously than I’d intended.
:lol:
But if you’ll allow some second thoughts and reactions … :D
Of course. :)
If you still want to limit the cheat, maybe it would be easier and less disruptive to make the Conjuror obsolete at the end of the Medieval Era by having it upgrade to Cavalry. (You’d be an idiot to upgrade your Conjurors, but that’s not the point.) That would shrink the cheat window considerably, and you wouldn’t have to rebalance things by lowering its shield cost and playing with its attack/defense factors. It would also make sense if the dawning of the Industrial Era closed the door on magic.
:hmm: I'll think about that, but if i'll make it upgrade to anything else it would be the rifleman or smthing around that part. Occultism had quite a "golden age" in the late XIX century (in france at least ...).
but if you want to slow guys like me down, that’s totally your right.
:whipped:
About fireballs: ok, i should put that in the description.
(BTW, since it’s rare for people to get to Robotics and Radar Artillery (which come pretty late in the Modern Era, while Rocketry is one of the first to be grabbed), what about deleting the Radar Artillery and using its graphic as the cruise missile’s land transport unit? Would that be an easy way of making the change?)
Nope, i won't remove. There are lots of nice units around ... i'll probably look for smthing new. :)
On the Space wonder and SS improvements, see the second attached screenshot. Notice that I’d not actually built any SS parts, but I could get a city to build one even as I’m researching Space Flight. But maybe I’m misinterpreting what’s going on.
OMG, now i saw what was wrong ... i forgot to make Exterior Casing a space ship part. :cry: And it's just the casing that's buildable without the Space Program right ?
BTW, I noticed that the Buddha Shrines are luxury resources, so they tend to cluster in one or two regions, while the Jewish Community, Mosque, Zen Monastery, and Christian Monastery resources are more scattered. I was wondering why you made this choice instead of making them cluster. I can see the JC (reflecting a Diaspora) being spread out, but the others kind of surprise me. It’s nothing that needs fixing. I’m just curious if you had your reasons, or if it was another game engine limitation, like the above.
I do have a reason for that, but you're not going to like it :mischief: :
Spoiler :
I felt that i should do that.

I don't like them clustering either, but there's no way to change that ... or is it ? :hmm: (i have an idea ... )
Also, the Jewish Community and the Zen Monastery are different from the other you've mentioned. They don't have a coresponding major religion in the game. Not that it matters in the game, but it's just another smaller reason to the Buddhist shrine being luxury : it's the only one that's non-abrahamic among those mentioned.
So, actually, I mentioned the idea not because I thought you needed it, but because I thought it needed you!
Heh ... that implies a lot of things. :D But i'm "retired" from modding. At least till i finnish with exams and stuff, and untill i get some healing, and untill i get my mind put back together like it was.
Really, your written English is as good or better than most native speakers. I wouldn’t have known if it was a second language for you if you hadn’t said so. The typos I spotted are ones that anyone could make, and usually do. :)
Well, my location is quite far from any english influence. :D
Any you are right, i have been speaking see several people on the forum that were native english and i could not understand what they were writing. Here's another example, search through his posts. :shake: He developed quite a reputation.
Sorry for being unclear. I don’t remember the exact quote. But the message said that something had happened to a “Nuclear Power Plant.” I’m guessing it was actually the Workshop, because that wonder was in the city; you’d warned that bad things might happen with the Workshop; and there was nothing else in the city (like Anti-Semitism) that it might be.

I don’t know if that was a glitch or if it is just hardcoded in.
There isn't much i can do to change that. But i'll look in the script file soon to see how everything looks there.

Like the other WTF things you put in, it’s an awesome twist. I love it, even when it pisses me off. :D
Speaking of old wonders being changed, i am going to make the Oracle (and other wonders no one builds), stronger ... i won't say anthing more about how. :mischief:

Hello. I found a glitch in your mod. I have the Philosopher's Stone in Baghdad's city radius, but I can't build the wonder.

D'Artagnan59 said:
Hello. I found a glitch in your mod. I have the Philosopher's Stone in Baghdad's city radius, but I can't build the wonder.
Are you sure ?
Maybe there isn't a road to it,
or maybe someone else built it before you,
or maybe it expired.

im not done reading all of these long but great posts, but just 2 quick notes: you can make the rail gun stay only on rails i am pretty sure. I will check that when i get home, but i seem to remember figuring this out at one point. second, why not create a government that all civs start with called "semi-nomadic tribe" or something like that which has the highest possible corruption rate (so there are almost no cities that can be run effectively with this govt other than the capital) give it 30 free units. give it all the malus tags you can. yeah... i dont remember all the specifics of the editor right now, but basically make it a terrible govt UNLESS you only have one city and want to be an early war monger rather than a buiilder. and as icing on the cake, make a special small wonder (only works under this govt)called "nomadic tradition" or somthing that auto-produces a special infantry unit with moderate stats (if warrior is 1-1-1 make this 2-2-1 with +2 hp) that enslaves to settlers... yeah i know thats cool lol. but this way they early warlike nomads will attack everyone so they can build more cities... BUT due to the govt they have these cities will be basically worthless. so eventually they will need to change to despotism once their nomadic/raiding days are over...PERFECT! right?

and just as an afterthought... maybe make cities that are this govt and have access to horses build "mounted nomadic tradition" in addition to the other small wonder. or even better, make the two mutually exclusive with that "replace all other buildings with this flag" flag because no one is gonna have this gov't by the time they can build power plants anyways... the unit this wonder will produce should be a nomadic horseman or something (if a horse has stats of 2-1-2 make this have 3-3-3 but-1/2 hp and enslaves to settlers also)

King Coltrane said:
im not done reading all of these long but great posts, but just 2 quick notes: you can make the rail gun stay only on rails i am pretty sure. I will check that when i get home, but i seem to remember figuring this out at one point.
Are you sure ? :eek:
When you get home tell me, tell me. :bounce:
second, why not create a government that all civs start with called "semi-nomadic tribe" or something like that which has the highest possible corruption rate (so there are almost no cities that can be run effectively with this govt other than the capital) give it 30 free units. give it all the malus tags you can. yeah... i dont remember all the specifics of the editor right now, but basically make it a terrible govt UNLESS you only have one city and want to be an early war monger rather than a buiilder. and as icing on the cake, make a special small wonder (only works under this govt)called "nomadic tradition" or somthing that auto-produces a special infantry unit with moderate stats (if warrior is 1-1-1 make this 2-2-1 with +2 hp) that enslaves to settlers... yeah i know thats cool lol. but this way they early warlike nomads will attack everyone so they can build more cities... BUT due to the govt they have these cities will be basically worthless. so eventually they will need to change to despotism once their nomadic/raiding days are over...PERFECT! right?

and just as an afterthought... maybe make cities that are this govt and have access to horses build "mounted nomadic tradition" in addition to the other small wonder. or even better, make the two mutually exclusive with that "replace all other buildings with this flag" flag because no one is gonna have this gov't by the time they can build power plants anyways... the unit this wonder will produce should be a nomadic horseman or something (if a horse has stats of 2-1-2 make this have 3-3-3 but-1/2 hp and enslaves to settlers also)
Big idea, but i see several side problems.
1. The nomadic days of some civs are almost non-existant (historicaly) ...
2. The tech that will allow despotism would be critical. And most would run to it. So the problem is where to put it in the tree.
To solve this, another stone age era could be created in the ancient age, like steph's mini-eras in the big eras in his mod. Which would be a bit to far from the semi-traditional aproach of my mod.
3. It is in conflict with something i am going to add in the big patch:mischief:
It looks like a very good idea in theory at least. It has to be tested in the game tho and also how the AI will "understand" it.
King Coltrane said:
real quick... i forget if it already is, but make occultism not able to be traded. i think that will make the uber-conjurer more justified
When the game was released occultism was not tradeable.
The reason why i changed it is because i saw that a lot (probably all) of the AI civs spend a lot of turns to research it. By making it tradeable this is partially couteracted, since the ai can trade it between themselves.

My initial reason of making Occultism not tradeable was because it represents an esoteric art that has to be learned not taught.

But i don't know ... i might turn it back off ...

you can make the rail gun stay on rails/road by making all terrain impassable by wheeled units and make the rail gun wheeled. then, to counter that with chariots etc, make them ignore the grassland/plains/etc.. so it would appear as though nothing changed with the chariots, but the rail gun can only go on railroad (well, by that stage in any game most road should be rail anyways)

Quinzy said:
you can make the rail gun stay on rails/road by making all terrain impassable by wheeled units and make the rail gun wheeled. then, to counter that with chariots etc, make them ignore the grassland/plains/etc.. so it would appear as though nothing changed with the chariots, but the rail gun can only go on railroad (well, by that stage in any game most road should be rail anyways)
Wow :eek: what a nifty trick. I would've never thought of that.
But it would still move on roads also ... Maybe i'm just slower with the railroad building, but there are a lot of roads by the end of the 3rd era. Especially on the front.
I'm not sure if i'm gonna do this :hmm: ... But i think i am going to make all terrains impassable to wheled units anyway, this would open several possibilities with the big patch. :mischief: ... maybe to many possiblities. :hmm:

Thanx Quinzy & King Coltrane

yeah i think that might be along the lines of what i thought of quinzy, something like it anyway. again though i will check my files when i get home.

@heretic... one way that i KNOW would work to make the AI handle it well would be to make those units HN. the AI for some reason is FAR more aggressive with HN units and since these are nomads and dont represent a national army, it is perfectly justified. and if we are going to place a tech for despotism (which may or may not be needed) why not make it require both mysticism and warrior code... or something like that. two very early techs so its not that big a deal since you'd probably have only one city anyway by that point. my suggestion though is to have both available at the start and maybe have the civ start in anarchy (?) so that on the second turn he has to decide how he wants the early game to go... warlike nomad or builder/despot and of course you could change this at any time, but if you have both options from the beginning then you can change when you need to or it no longer is profitable to stay 1 or the other. of course this will mostly be a switch from nomad to despot, but i guess if you suffer major setbacks early on you can switch back. heres the thing though. if you dont have a river you wont be able to grow like you normally can in civ (which i think is good) and will be forced to consider alternative strategies. you could be a despot with 1 city and try to conquer other cities, which is perfectly possible, or you could opt for the nomad choice and accept that you wont be growing for a long time if ever and that the only way for you to expand is to raid enemy territory and enslave settlers. i just thikn it would be really interesting and add a LOT to the early game which in my opinion needs some more to it (though in your mod its really great i have to say) just consider this and lets keep discussing it, because if you dont end up using this... maybe ill make a version of this mod (with your consent of course) incorporating it! haha. also can you pm me to tell me this secret thing that would conflict with this idea?

thanks, no problem :) i always liked that idea, so i'm glad it may come into practice.

King Coltrane said:
one way that i KNOW would work to make the AI handle it well would be to make those units HN. the AI for some reason is FAR more aggressive with HN units and since these are nomads and dont represent a national army, it is perfectly justified. and if we are going to place a tech for despotism (which may or may not be needed) why not make it require both mysticism and warrior code... or something like that. two very early techs so its not that big a deal since you'd probably have only one city anyway by that point. my suggestion though is to have both available at the start and maybe have the civ start in anarchy (?) so that on the second turn he has to decide how he wants the early game to go... warlike nomad or builder/despot and of course you could change this at any time, but if you have both options from the beginning then you can change when you need to or it no longer is profitable to stay 1 or the other. of course this will mostly be a switch from nomad to despot, but i guess if you suffer major setbacks early on you can switch back. heres the thing though. if you dont have a river you wont be able to grow like you normally can in civ (which i think is good) and will be forced to consider alternative strategies. you could be a despot with 1 city and try to conquer other cities, which is perfectly possible, or you could opt for the nomad choice and accept that you wont be growing for a long time if ever and that the only way for you to expand is to raid enemy territory and enslave settlers.
What is the most shocking thing for me in your idea is the fact that it's quite the opposet of my playing style and in the way i built my mod (even though it turned out very different from what i intended). I built it for large&huge maps, but your idea is obviously for smaller maps (otherwise there would be nothing to enslave). Which is why i find it difficult to add to my mod.
Other AI issues bug me tho:
-i don't think the AI would choose the right thing from anarchy, he would probably choose one of the 2 and ONLY that. I mean all the civs on the map would be the same thing.
-i bet the AI can't realise building things sucks in nomadic, therefor he won't change the gov till he gets smthing new
-i bet the AI would be stupid enough to go nomadic on a huge map with few players

And another MAJOR thing to think about:Here's a situation: in a small map, at the start of the game, there are 2 neighbouring civs, one is nomadic and the other is despotic, would the despotic have a chance ? Unless it gets something to counter the huge war advantages of the nomads ...
King Coltrane said:
i just thikn it would be really interesting and add a LOT to the early game which in my opinion needs some more to it (though in your mod its really great i have to say) just consider this and lets keep discussing it, because if you dont end up using this... maybe ill make a version of this mod (with your consent of course) incorporating it! haha. also can you pm me to tell me this secret thing that would conflict with this idea?
I'll probably allow you to make that tweak of my mod. But first you have to make it and test it to see if it "works".
Secret thing ? There's no big secret thing, it's just that the nomadic tribes WILL have something to say. :mischief:

Also, you gave me another idea :D ...
I think i'm gonna make Anarchy the starting gov anyway ... just to make religious and expansionist civs a wee bit stronger. :D

Top Bottom