1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Highland clansmen

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Bagdemagus, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Hi, I am hoping to make these downloadable as part of a mod or a Scottish civ either with Anaerin/Spillsandstains or on my own. If this doesn't happen due to any reason I will skin more Scottish style units and release them all together. Thanks for the inquiry. I think a Pictish/Celtic berserker needs to be made (i have one on the go at the moment) and maybe a maceman replacement too. I guess that could be a Scottish warrior of William Wallace's era.

2. Anaerin

Anaerin Pictish Chieftan

Hey Bagdemagus,

Those units are looking great!! I especially like the Lochaber axe :goodjob:

As I said before I was also working on a Scots Civ, so, I am 100% into doing a collaboration to create A Scottish Civ as suggested earlier.

If you can contribute units, I can assist in skinning with authentic tartans, sporrans, highland dress and such, as well as contributing ideas on the unit development and historic accuracy. The only thing I cannot do is model at the moment, and that is only because the software used for civ4 doesnt work well on a mac. In the future I am thinking of investing in a cheap pc, but thats a long way off. As I mainly work in photoshop, I take a lot of time when skinning and doing my textures. I used to be a graphic artist for a living, so this is a way that I now enjoy my art.

I would also welcome any other help on the Scots civ. I have been searching for units for ages, so it will be great to create this with others who are also interested in Scots, Celt and Pict history and units. :)

I think we should start a new thread then... call it something like Scottish civ development. If you pm me your civ I will take a look. Many of my units in the Pictish Civs should work well with a re-skin, but if you keep making units like these, we will have something very unique.

I already have a Pictish beserker unit, he is called the Pict Brave. I am open to evolving him a bit more. He is an extra unit, more expensive than an axemen, but used alongside them. Where there are three axemen as a group, the Pict Brave acts alone, giving the impression he is tougher. I have some ideas on evolving him, but that would require some modelling skills. I would also like to switch out his axes for more authentic Pictish axes. He is covered from head to foot in blue Woad. Would be cool to see your version and compare or combine ideas.

A maceman replacement for the Scots could be a two handed broadsword unit? (like wallaces sword in the Wallace monument in Stirling), while the swordsman would be your claymore/ targe units.

Here are my Modern Scots settler (finished) and Pict Brave (in progress):

Attached Files:

3. Spillsandstains

Spillsandstains Warlord

great stuff!

look forward to release

4. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

I don't suppose you could release the unit on the right (the Lochaber axe) early? It is perfect as a flavour unit for the Celts as a late medieval pikeman.

5. zulu9812

Possible bug report

I think that the Ironhelm unit is bugged. I've added the unit as a musketman, but in the civlopedia it looks like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can place the unit via World Builder and it looks fine, textures are there and animations play. However, there are no unit actions displayed (although I can still control the unit via keyboard shortcuts):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've extensively tested my methodology of adding the unit, going so far as to to try it as a module on it's own. Additionally, I kept everything the same but changed the art paths to a different folder with a different unit (i.e. different nif and kfm) and the other (test) unit was displayed correctly.

Anyone have any ideas? A problem with the included custom kfm, perhaps?

6. zulu9812

OK, I think I'm onto something here. Just as a test, I changed the kfm line to point to the Firaxis musketman's kfm. In-game, the Ironhelm displayed as all screwed up (as I thought it would, since it's the wrong kfm) - but crucially, the unit info was displayed correctly in the civilopedia and I had unit action buttons when I placed the unit via world builder. All I did was change which kfm files was being used. When I changed back to arquebusier.kfm (the custom one included with the Ironhelm unit) I get the problems listed above. So it does seem to be a bug with the custom kfm file.

7. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Is the name of the .nif file also arquebusier? Sometimes you can get errors when the kfm file and the nif file are named differently.

Also you could try to but the Firaxis musketman.nif in the same folder as the arquebusier. There might be a link coded into the arquebusier.kfm to the musketman.nif. If that nif is not located in it's folder, the kfm won't work correct.

8. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

SaibotLieh is correct - the kfm refers to an Arquebusier.nif. As long as such a nif is missing in the folder where you have the kfm the observed error occurs - i would guess one easy way to solve the problem is in this case: rename the clansmen.nif to Arquebusier.nif

To check if the needed nif is there you can open the kfm with nifskope, if you see a model all is fine, if not, the needed nif is missing. With F4 you can open the kfm window in nifskope and under NIF File Name you see the name of the needed "master" nif.

9. zulu9812

Yeah, that was it. I just renamed the nif. Thanks, guys (and thanks for the tip on inspecting kfm files - I was wondering why it was showing no unit when I opened it in nifskope).

10. zulu9812

11. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

Truly great units, they are going to my Celtic civ right now!

12. Spillsandstains

Spillsandstains Warlord

hello boppers

i just tried adding the clansmen and i love them! although i ran into the error reported in this forum, but, hey, i'm very careful as i've had to rebuild the mod i have about 6 times in 4 years after loosing track of errors. . . so thanks again Bagdemagus, without your art i wouldn't have so much fun!

i'm going to have a lot more time to play video games, i got made redundant 2.25 hours ago . . . oh well. I'll have to back back to modelling.

anyway, i clocked one of the posts from bagdemagus saying he was getting help from me . . . i suddenly felt like i'd let him/her/it down, i've had so much help from civfanatics people, plus i rip off all their sweated - over art and do silly stuff with it, so i'm putting something back

i've got some bits for a scot/pict civ

firstly, for buildings for a 'druid religion' i found in a mod by the hyperactive virtual architect, hrochland, with the xml and buttons . . . might be useful for neolithic - inspired mods too. i've recently split my vanilla Celts civ up and certainly the 'woodhenge' in there is going to be an early British ub.

i've also included a bodge - it skinned skirmisher, with xml and a pedia entry. it's based on the "southern african spearman" i ripped bleeding from veBears [BtS] Southern African Unit Art Mod

finally there's what passes for my pict pedia entry. . . i got the leader art thus:

calgaich http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13769

ok he doesn't look very pictish but he looks entertainingly barbarous, i bodged a pict symbol - stone into the background

brude http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14144

i got a highlandy background for this dude; he shows up with blueish highlights in my game (probably a crap computer) which i've very recently worked out how to cure; give us a shout if you want this done

macbeth http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13190

this is great, i know it's the colonization spanish king in essence but i couldn't stick a crown on a leaderhead for toffee, and what a crown! inspired

i have a very non - standard game, with all sorts of funny tweaks. the skirmisher fills an eponymous slot with a UNITCOMBAT_RECON designation that are early explorers/melee unit counters/reasonable city defenders. the picts lack armoured melee units so the idea is to compensate for that.

so, please get back to me, ideas are welcome . . . art too! i'd love to see a alternate pict/scot civ. and ideas in general, especially fun ones. realism is great but . . . it's a game innit? is there a porridge resource out there?

Attached Files:

13. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

I'm going to be following this thread as my mod will have the Picts, Scots, and Dalriadans in it. :)

14. Cybah

Cybah Emperor

Downloadlink broken. :( Can someone reup please?

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I agree, would be a shame if this unit is gone.

Might have more luck if you asked this in the main Civ4 forum though Cybah.

16. Edecon

Edecon Chieftain

where can i download these units ?:)tnks

17. donalpanko

donalpanko Chieftain

They are cool but when i try to download it says item not found

18. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Hi I realise its a long time since you asked this.

However I am the original creator units. Unfortunately due to flooding a few years ago I lost everything including these files. Ive started the long process just this week of relearning how to do all this and hopefully some time this year I will have improved upon these original designs. Thanks for asking hope you are still around?