Historically appropriate religion for civs

Babri

Emperor
For roleplaying purposes I thought about creating a thread for religion just like we have for policies

America : Christianity
Arabia : Islam
Austria : Chriatianity
Aztec : ?
Babylon : ?
Byzantium : Christianity
Carthage : ?
Celtica : ? (Druidism maybe)
China : Taoism or Buddism
Denmark : ? (what was norse religion called ?)
Egypt : Kemetism
England : Christianity
Ethiopia : Christianity
France : Christianity
Germany : Christianity
Greece : ? (Forgot the name of their religion)
Huns : ?
Inca : ?
India : Hinduism or Buddism
Iroquois : ?
Japan : Shinto
Korea : ?
Maya : ?
Mongolia : Tenghrism
Netherlands : Christianity
Ottoman : Islam
Persia : Zorastrianism
Polynesia : ?
Rome : ?
Russia : Christianity
Siam : ?
Songhai : Islam
Spain : Christianity
Sweden : Christianity

Please suggest names for the ? civs. Few of them I remember but can't recall right now. :)

Places like the Aztecs and Babylon never really advanced much beyond the "Pantheon" stage I don't think.

Aztec- Sun God Worship?
Babylon- Islam
Carthage-Islam
Denmark-Christianity
Greece-Hellenism
Huns- Tengriism
Iroquois- Totemism
Korea-Confucianism
Maya- Sun God Worship?
Polynesia- Totemism
Rome-Christianity
Siam-Buddhism

America should never found a religion, but also never use inquisitors.
I remember that many people here on these forums argued that Piety suits US more than Rationalism though. :p
Many of the civs stop at the "Pantheon" stage and never really developed a more complex religion.
Yes that is the case with some of the civs. However I think the Greek religion had a name as well as a general name for Meso-American religion. If u have played Rise of Mankind there is one that represents Aztec/Mayans religion.

I remember that many people here on these forums argued that Piety suits US more than Rationalism though. :p

Yes that is the case with some of the civs. However I think the Greek religion had a name as well as a general name for Meso-American religion. If u have played Rise of Mankind there is one that represents Aztec/Mayans religion.

Actually, I think that may be a good idea for the Native American Civs and Polynesia, stop at the pantheon stage, never found a religion, just take religion from other Civs.

There are two distinct difficulties in doing this:
1) Many countries worshipped their own unique pantheons
2) Many countries changed religions multiple times

My closest approximations (Including later adopted religions):

America : Christianity
Arabia : Islam
Austria : Chriatianity
Aztec : Pantheism
Babylon : Pantheism
Byzantium : Christianity
Carthage : Pantheism
Celtica : Pantheism, Christianity (later)
China : Taoism, Confucianism or Buddhism
Denmark : Pantheism or Christianity (later)
Egypt : Kemetism or Islam (later)
England: Christianity
Ethiopia : Christianity
France : Christianity
Germany : Christianity
Greece : Pantheism or Christianity (later)
Huns : Tenghrism
Inca : Pantheism
India : Hinduism or Buddism
Iroquois : Longhouse Religion (Pantheon for the sakes of the game), Christianity (later)
Japan : Shinto, Buddhism
Korea* : Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Christianity
Maya : Pantheism
Mongolia : Tenghrism; could add Islam or Buddhism, as they were dominant in large parts of the empire
Netherlands : Christianity
Ottoman : Islam
Persia : Zorastrianism , Islam (later)
Polynesia : Pantheism, Christianity (later)
Rome : Pantheism, Christianity (later)
Russia : Christianity
Siam : Buddhism
Songhai : Islam
Spain : Christianity
Sweden : Christianity

*Korea is the most difficult because they switched three times. They were first Buddhists, but then began to embrace Taoism and later Confucianism followed by Christianity. Buddhism has been the most consistently popular, but during the time of Sejong (The Civ V choice for leader) they embraced Confucianism.
-----------------
Basically, the options the game has right now are limited. Two of the religions Sikhism and Judaism, while historically significant, don't even have a civ that adopted one present in the game.

I assume like me you must be annoyed that you can't make historically correct scenarios specifically for religion in world builder ? if any of you are modders then see if this is something you are willing to do.

=======================================================================

Any civilisation that is distinctivley of a certain religion (example Islam) is allowed to found that religion, if that religion has been founded before another civ that is distinctivly of that religion then that civ cannot found any religion but can follow that religion and only that religion.

There could be Modern religions MOD or Ancient relgion MOD which .
changes in one era to modern religions.

Example Scenario.
Arabia, Egypt, Songhai, Ottoman, Ethiopia, Carthage and Persia are allowed to Found or Follow Islam. Arabia has just founded Islam so all of the Nations that are allowed to found or follow Islam can no longer found islam or any other religion but can only follow that religion, same applies for CS.

Same Applies for every religion such as Christianity but smaller religions with only one nation that follows it such as Shintoism and Japan or Buddism and Siam (no other civ has a wide buddist population other than siam or South East Asia) they can only found that religion because it is only theirs.

I tried to argue where/when Judaism "founded" in another thread about "which civs would be Jewish" but had difficulty articulating. The issue is, in game terms, when a religion is "founded" it takes time to develop followers... let me try this again.

1. Arabia - Semitic people migrate from arabian peninsula to mesopotamia and "take over" under sargon of akkad (nimrud?), and their first gr prophet (Abram) is born in or around Ur. Yes, I understand "not all semitic people = hebrews", but still I feel it a compelling argument.

2. Egypt - Judaism's second gr prophet, moses, born in Egypt, and (almost) the entire levant is "property of Egypt" via warfare until after Ramesses II (battle of Qadesh). Even for some period after, Egypt continues to exert military influence in the region (Merneptah stele). So was Judaism actually "founded" (if not BY egypt) in egypt?

3. Carthage/Phoenecia - I decided to abandon this argument. Initially I was grouping all "amoritic" semitic settlers into one greater "levant", including lebanon and all aramaic speaking peoples. I understand how that was offensive to some since this is the best example how expressly "not all semitic people are hebrews", but in "grouping cultures" it seems phoenecians had way more in common, culturally with hebrews, than any other choice. I apologize to whomever I offended this way.

4. Babylon - Abram born in Ur under the reign of Amoritic dynasties, "Ur of the Chaldees" certainly fell in the territory of Nebuchadnezzer, who incidentally also for a time disenfranchised (enslaved) the greater percentage of Hebrews. Again, are you going to argue Abram "founded" Judaism? Was their first gr prophet born in "Babylon" (empire, not city) to "establish" religion in territory soon after "owned by egypt"? The truth is somewhere in the middle.

5. Ethiopia - The most compelling argument for a single "jewish civilization", as the Solomonic dynasties were jewish for 1000 years (and many long after) after the Queen of Sheba "brought it back" to ethiopia from solomon.

I know my arguments are getting tired, but such an influential religion "belongs somewhere in here".

Lol. Shinto only has one follower. As much as I respect it, it really doesn't meet the requirements to be a "world religion" due to the fact that it doesn't have a founder or holy book, prophet or god(s), and doesn't substantially exist outside of a single country.

I'd love to see some kind of mod that splits Christanity into Catholicism and Protestantism on a Europe map. Would be hella fun :)

In what form are you willing to accept Judaism as being founded? Go back any further than around 2500 years and the religion you'll find will be mostly alien to a modern viewer.

Ethiopia was a Jewish kingdom long before they were Christian (they even had a religious war in South Arabia to "liberate" oppressed Jews when Persia invaded)

Actually, I think that may be a good idea for the Native American Civs and Polynesia, stop at the pantheon stage, never found a religion, just take religion from other Civs.
But some of these civs like Mayans have an advantage in faith so I think stopping at panthenon for them would be bad for roleplaying, similarly Aztecs had somewhat sophisticated religion historically with involving lots of gods & sacrifice and they built great temples.

Top Bottom