History questions not worth their own thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I knew Plotinus was published, but I didn't realize how many books he had done. I'm impressed. I'll have to get around to purchasing one of those book one of these days.

Hmm, is this an attempt to keep the thread going by flattering the moderator? Good work.

There are actually a couple more books since then, but I'm the co-editor rather than author, so that probably doesn't count. Unfortunately I simply don't have time to write books of that kind any more, as I need to focus on academic publications.

@Domen: I never knew Bohemia was that large. What's your source for that map?
It's not that large. Basically modern Czechia plus Silesia, which went back an forth between Poland and Bohemia during the Middle Ages.

Hmm, is this an attempt to keep the thread going by flattering the moderator? Good work.

There are actually a couple more books since then, but I'm the co-editor rather than author, so that probably doesn't count. Unfortunately I simply don't have time to write books of that kind any more, as I need to focus on academic publications.
Well now you're teasing us. You know academic publications are even better for us :p

Could I get signed copies?

119 dollah for a book? pricing issue there.....

Funny you should say that, one or two of the books actually looked very interesting to me, but not interesting enough to pay the going rate for them.

Hey Plotinus,

Congratulations on being a successfull author. Though I am sure my kind words and opinion are worth squat to you, I think it's very cool nonetheless and wanted to say so.
:hatsoff:

119 dollah for a book? pricing issue there.....
I work in a bookshop. University textbooks like those - and whether Plotinus intended them to be so or not, university textbooks is what they are - are often over the $100 mark. Even some high school books make it that high.

I don't prescribe mah students textbooks for that damned reason.

I think students can spend more wisely than "supporting the economy" via buying expensive textbooks. (Not that students anywhere represent a major buying power - well, except in the US maybe.)

Lord Baal said:
But as an economist, how can you justify leaving all that cash to be saved, rather than invested into the economy?

I have shares in a whole bunch of breweries.

I work in a bookshop. University textbooks like those - and whether Plotinus intended them to be so or not, university textbooks is what they are - are often over the $100 mark. Even some high school books make it that high.
i am aware of this but still it is a crazy price. plotinus should have a chat with whoever decides thhe price IMO. a friend of mine studies architecture and was advised to buy a £400 book. Some academics are brainless....Better to buy last years edition 2nd hand for a fraction of the price or loan it out from yer library ;)

savings equal investment in simple theory£££

Quackers said:
Better to buy last years edition 2nd hand for a fraction of the price or loan it out from yer library
We change the questions, year to year, and libraries seldom have enough copies.

Quackers said:
Some academics are brainless....
As an academic writing a textbook, I'll be the first to admit that I like royalty payments. Not personally, because those will be piddling, but professionally because the money flows back to my program and lets me hold classes with naff all students in stuff I like.

The Dictionary of theologians, which is the pricy one on the list (although considerably less pricy if you buy it in the UK rather than as an import into the US), isn't a textbook. It's not aimed at individual buyers at all, really. It's a big encyclopaedia for libraries, so the only purchasers envisaged are institutions. (Also, I don't get royalties from that one, alas - the publisher has copyright.)

All of the others are a bit more affordable!

It's not that large. Basically modern Czechia plus Silesia, which went back an forth between Poland and Bohemia during the Middle Ages.

Plus upper and lower Lusatia. And Silesia was bigger than Brandenburg - which was given to Hohenzollerns few years before the start of the Hussite wars.

Plus upper and lower Lusatia. And Silesia was bigger than Brandenburg - which was given to Hohenzollerns few years before the start of the Hussite wars.
You're right. I somehow always lump the Lusatias together with Silesia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom