History Quiz III (with rules)

Hammer, no?

hammer, yes

Bah LouLong, why refuse a natural advantage when you have it? I certainly didn't ;-) (being from Québec and all...)

Ok, here go. Back to the Armada Campaign :

What was the name of the first ship of the armada taken by the English during the actual battles of the Armada campaign (1588)?

@sorry oba, been 4 days;)

in 1503 a.d. spanish general gonzalo de cordoba defeated a french army in italy (one of many,many spanish victories for the next 100 years) why did this victory stand out?

It is considered to be the first battle in history won by gunpowder small arms.

Originally posted by De Lorimier
It is considered to be the first battle in history won by gunpowder small arms.

glad i spent so much time trying to think of a question:mad: --you are very correct:goodjob:

I had a nice question about Charles martel untill I realized it was asked and answered one page back...
Let's try this instead: After what battle did Clovis decided to get baptized (sp?) and by whom was he baptized (sp?)?.

Now, talk about opportunities Oda ! I will seize this one.

Battle : Tolbiac
Opponent : Alamans (they were living NE of Burgundy)
Date : 496
His Christian Catholic wife made him swear to convert in case of victory, therefore Saint Remi ws to baptize him in Reims allowing the mixing of the two populations (Romans and Francs) under a common faith.

"France" thus became the Church elderly daughter.

Edit : I love the new question-asking schedule because it allows me to beat pawpaw sometimes :D

Correct LouLong! :goodjob:
Small correction: His wife Clothilde was trying to make Clovis change his mind about his religion but he wasn't sure.
During the battle, when the Francs were losing, Clovis decided to turn to the christian god and told him he would worship him in case of victory. When the Alamans chief was killed by an arrow Clovis saw in this a message from the christian god.
Your turn Loulong!

Question :

The Chinese Emperor K'ang- Hi (1662-1722) had a strange advisor/teacher very much respected for his technical knowledge.
Do you know that advisor ? Or why he is "strange" ?

Lorimier, thanks for completing the answer. BTW I agree 100% with your signature.

i know he had a jesuit priest as an advisior--is that strange enough?

quote:

Now, the term "fascist" really means--remember the origin of the term "fascist": The term "fascist" was a term, which was developed by the Synarchists, and it was used, particularly in the Italian case, by pointing to the "fasces" which is the famous symbol of the Roman legions, marching; they would carry this fasces, like this bundle of sticks, wrapped around a pole, called a fasces. So, fascism essentially meant the Mussolini movement's adoption of the fasces as the symbol of what became known as the Fascist movement. However, the Fascist movement was actually a branch of the Synarchist movement, which was actually the philosophy of the Napoleonic dictatorship--both Napoleon I and his nephew Napoleon III.

So, fascism was originally a French concept, coming out of the French Revolution, out of Napoleon. It was continued in Europe, by certain wealthy financial groups. In the 1870s, it became formally a system.

Top Bottom